My new Sig Pistol....

This is a discussion on My new Sig Pistol.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of what?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Sig Pistol....

One of what?
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

2. Remove Ads

I'm shooting with a firm grip both hands and my groupings are about 6-8 inches to the left if my target. A guy at the range said a wooden dowel and a hammer I should be able to know the rear sights to the right. Is this the way to adjust rear sights?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    I'm shooting with a firm grip both hands and my groupings are about 6-8 inches to the left if my target. A guy at the range said a wooden dowel and a hammer I should be able to know the rear sights to the right. Is this the way to adjust rear sights?
    At what distance were you shooting? Most commonly it's a shooter problem, not a sight problem. DO NOT USE A WOODEN DOWEL AND HAMMER, If you want to break the tritium vials in your sights, go ahead and whack them with a hammer. In the owners manual that came with your pistol, there's information on what you need. Read your manual, if you still have further questions, feel free to ask.

BUT, before you adjust your sights, you need to shoot the gun from a rest in an attempt to remove shooter error, if not as you improve your trigger control and other fundamentals, you're going to need to readjust your sights again.

One of what?
    Sorry, I guess you didn't see the link. Let me try again.... Click on this line of text...

I'd go with what JD said before I' try to adjust my sights.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I am shooting at 7 yards and SIG said to use a dowel and rubber mallet, gain from the top view the sights look more to the left so I'm assuming that's the issue here.

At the end I tried one **** at 100 yards and didn't even raise the dirt at the sand mound !!!!!what's going on!!!! Just kiddin :)

JD
    Administrator
    I am shooting at 7 yards and SIG said to use a dowel and rubber mallet, gain from the top view the sights look more to the left so I'm assuming that's the issue here.

At the end I tried one **** at 100 yards and didn't even raise the dirt at the sand mound !!!!!what's going on!!!! Just kiddin :)
    OK, you didn't say that the sight was visibly off the the left, with the gun unloaded, cock the hammer and look at the rear sight notch in relation to the firing pin. If it's off center, and adjustment may be needed, however...

Change windage by moving the rear sight either to the left
    or right in its dovetail. When you do this, follow the rear sight
    rule: Move the rear sight in the direction you want the group
    to go. Moving the rear sight 0.020” in the dovetail changes
    the point of impact by approximately 3” at 25 yards.
    If you're off 6-8" at 7 yards....if my rusty math is right, your sight would in theory be almost hanging off the side of the gun.

download.jpg

ppp.jpg

sdf.jpg

these sights are too hard to even move a hairs length, i used a piece of towel folded into 4 parts and a flathead driver and cannot seem to move it. I GIVE UP..... look at the scaring i left on the sight....this sucks
    Last edited by JD; September 7th, 2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Rearranged attachments.

JD
    Administrator

these sights are too hard to even move a hairs length, i used a piece of towel folded into 4 parts and a flathead driver and cannot seem to move it. I GIVE UP..... look at the scaring i left on the sight....this sucks
    Yes, using the wrong tools and marring your gun sucks...

We've tried to tell you prior to this is that you need a sight pusher to move those sights. And in looking at the pics, yes your sight is of a little, but that is not anywhere near off center enough to result in 6-8" of error at seven yards. Call around to a couple of gun shops and the range you shoot at, odds are someone there has a sight pusher and can center that sight up, after that seek out some instruction in pistol shooting and really work on your trigger finger placement and trigger control as well as other fundamentals.

i will just get use to using the sights as they are. I will meanwhile call around to see if a shop may have the sight tool for this particular model, i know there are some for full size but not the p238

JD
    Administrator
    i will just get use to using the sights as they are. I will meanwhile call around to see if a shop may have the sight tool for this particular model, i know there are some for full size but not the p238
    There's a lot of universal sight tools out there, they are not all size specific.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    I have a P238 as well. The only failures I've had with mine were during the first 50 rounds. !
    I had the same experience with mine. The last 400rnds performed flawlessly.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
    rule." - H.L. Mencken

My 238 NEVER gave me any problems yet, so far 260 rds through it , all kinds of different ammo fed through her

a bit off the sight adjustment topic, but can someone tell me if the p238 is more suitable for a shooter with large(ish) sized hands when compared to other small-sized 'pocket' pistols?? i posted a comment on another thread regarding the kahr mk9 elite (which i own) so comparing the p238 to the kahr is something i could relate to. thanks!

Just shoot it. Mine looks exactly like yours. Mine is an early model, 2009.
    It's never failed. I used PMC bronze, just like yours, and it works fine.
    I've also stockpiled some Sellier & Belliot 124 gr.

My only advice is to never use the word "clip".
    I did the same as a newbie and was severely chastised. Too many movies I guess.
    Now, it's a "magazine" to me.
    I like to sound as if I know what I'm talking about. Ha!
    I have magazines with the rounded follower. I actually bought two more from Top Gun Supply and they are exactly like the stock. All worked flawlessly. I think there has been three different styles of followers. 1. Ski slope, bad. 2. Rounded. Mine are fine. 3. Dimple. newest.

Mine has such a mild recoil, and the slide is so easy to rack, that I actually took the recoil spring out to see if it got weaker. Nope, just a soft shooting gun.

Quote Originally Posted by stickemup View Post
    can someone tell me if the p238 is more suitable for a shooter with large(ish) sized hands when compared to other small-sized 'pocket' pistols?? i posted a comment on another thread regarding the kahr mk9 elite (which i own) so comparing the p238 to the kahr is something i could relate to. thanks!
    I also have a PM-9. If you compare the measurements, they are very similar. But in your hand, the Sig feels much smaller.
    That 1/2" here, and 1/4" there really add up. I don't consider the Kahr a pocket gun, but I have carried the Sig in my pocket.
    I have wide hands, but short fingers. You need to try it yourself, grip is very subjective.

i will just get use to using the sights as they are.
    You said you wanted to move the sights right. That means the gun is shooting left. Are you sure you aren't pulling the gun left as you shoot?
    Very common reaction.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by stickemup View Post
    a bit off the sight adjustment topic, but can someone tell me if the p238 is more suitable for a shooter with large(ish) sized hands when compared to other small-sized 'pocket' pistols?? i posted a comment on another thread regarding the kahr mk9 elite (which i own) so comparing the p238 to the kahr is something i could relate to. thanks!
    You're going to have about the same usable front strap area as 9mm and .380 are the same diameter and both guns use a 6rd (flush) magazine. So, if you're issue is that you can't get but two fingers around the MK9, the 238 will have the same issue.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links