My new Sig Pistol....

My new Sig Pistol....

This is a discussion on My new Sig Pistol.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; traded for my revolver at a gun show. I read lots of people say they have feeding and ejecting issues with this pistol and can ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My new Sig Pistol....

traded for my revolver at a gun show. I read lots of people say they have feeding and ejecting issues with this pistol and can be caused by not breaking it in, magazine or ammunition. Which of these issues would you say is the reason why most jammings occur? Also the feed ramp is mentioned that needs to be polished? I have loaded several clips and racked/ejected different kinds of rounds, FMJ, JHP and hornady critical defense and they all seem to feed/eject without any issues. I have not shot this gun yet but looking forward to it.. ANY INPUT ON THESE ISSUES IS GREATLY APPRECIATED SO I CAN LEARN THE ISSUES/PROBLEMS OF MY NEW GUN.
    Attached Images
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Give it a chance, take it to the range and shoot it, you may have no problems at all. Sig makes some pretty good guns.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have a P238 as well. I like it better than any 380 I've shot. The only failures I've had with mine were during the first 50 rounds. 1 FTE, 1 FTF since those I've had no issues and have put 500 total rounds through the weapon. I carry it on my belt with the factory holster & I also pocket carry it. I like the weight(doesn't feel like a plastic toy) I love the night sights, feels good in my hand. I shoot the Sig as good as I did my old G26.

I was skeptical when I was looking at this gun due to some negative reviews I'd seen but after renting it I knew it was on the short list of guns I wanted, and now have. I carry the P238 primarily as a back up, but I do enjoy taking her out and shooting her.

You will enjoy yours. Rest asured you have made a sound investment in a quality firearm. ENJOY IT!
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun. No 2 guns are going to be the same, you may or may not have issues with yours. Smaller guns do seem to be more susceptible to limp wristing problems, if you find yourself having problems with it FTE/FTF, check to make sure you aren't limp wristing it. If you are the original owner of the gun, you have a lifetime warranty on it through SIG.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    The P238 had a rough start and in some cases it only got worse.

Initially there was a safety re-call on the guns, this should have been checked by the dealer who sold you the gun, but you should read over it and see if it applies to your pistol.

Then there were some mechanical issues that needed to be addressed, they are now on their third generation of magazine and their third (maybe 2nd) generation of recoil spring.

My original 238 had some metallurgy issues and even after the slide was replaced had extraction issues, it was eventually replaced, the replacement gun had the "old" recoil spring, after replacing the spring and using the newer magazines, my problems have seemed to go away and I can no go 200+ rounds without failure of any sort.

Sig will send out the new recoil spring free of charge if you ask them for it (or at least they did for me) and may be willing to exchange magazines, I still have one old style magazine and need to contact them about replacing the mag with a new one.

You gun may be fine, the metallurgy issues were only present on 238HD's (which you don't have), did your gun come with a blue box, or a black box? The black box Sigs are newer guns and may not be as finicky as the earlier ones.

Be sure to read your owner's manual, and take extra care in testing your gun, try multiple types of ammunition, log any failures and inspect the spent brass for any deformities such as crushed case mouths.

Here is a pic of the new "flat" recoil spring:

I have not located the original spring for a comparison shot but will try and find it later.

Here are two mags, the latest magazine type (to my knowledge) is on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Give it a chance, take it to the range and shoot it, you may have no problems at all. Sig makes some pretty good guns.
    +1 I've owned 3 Kimbers still have 2 and heard this and that about them that wasn't true. Followed the manufacturers recomendations and they been great. Shoot your pistol according to the manufactuers recomendations first. I like that pistol BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    I have a P238 as well. I like it better than any 380 I've shot. The only failures I've had with mine were during the first 50 rounds. 1 FTE, 1 FTF since those I've had no issues and have put 500 total rounds through the weapon. I carry it on my belt with the factory holster & I also pocket carry it. I like the weight(doesn't feel like a plastic toy) I love the night sights, feels good in my hand. I shoot the Sig as good as I did my old G26.

I was skeptical when I was looking at this gun due to some negative reviews I'd seen but after renting it I knew it was on the short list of guns I wanted, and now have. I carry the P238 primarily as a back up, but I do enjoy taking her out and shooting her.

You will enjoy yours. Rest asured you have made a sound investment in a quality firearm. ENJOY IT!
    Thanks for the reply I cannot wait to shoot this little monster. I was in the market for a pocket pistol and also a 1911 platform so when i stumbled on this at a gun show this weekend i had to buy it.......Im just wondering if the barrel will handle +P AMMO? That buffalo bore 100gr ammo has great reviews. Have you shot any?

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The P238 had a rough start and in some cases it only got worse.

Initially there was a safety re-call on the guns, this should have been checked by the dealer who sold you the gun, but you should read over it and see if it applies to your pistol.

Then there were some mechanical issues that needed to be addressed, they are now on their third generation of magazine and their third (maybe 2nd) generation of recoil spring.

My original 238 had some metallurgy issues and even after the slide was replaced had extraction issues, it was eventually replaced, the replacement gun had the "old" recoil spring, after replacing the spring and using the newer magazines, my problems have seemed to go away and I can no go 200+ rounds without failure of any sort.

Sig will send out the new recoil spring free of charge if you ask them for it (or at least they did for me) and may be willing to exchange magazines, I still have one old style magazine and need to contact them about replacing the mag with a new one.

You gun may be fine, the metallurgy issues were only present on 238HD's (which you don't have), did your gun come with a blue box, or a black box? The black box Sigs are newer guns and may not be as finicky as the earlier ones.

Be sure to read your owner's manual, and take extra care in testing your gun, try multiple types of ammunition, log any failures and inspect the spent brass for any deformities such as crushed case mouths.

Here is a pic of the new "flat" recoil spring:

I have not located the original spring for a comparison shot but will try and find it later.

Here are two mags, the latest magazine type (to my knowledge) is on the left.

I have the black case, also the same recoil spring and the magazine on the left. I have loaded and emptied 80 rounds of hornady critical defense, golden sabre and PMC fmj ammo they all feed and eject flawlessly. I just have not actually SHOT it yet

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    Thanks for the reply I cannot wait to shoot this little monster. I was in the market for a pocket pistol and also a 1911 platform so when i stumbled on this at a gun show this weekend i had to buy it.......Im just wondering if the barrel will handle +P AMMO? That buffalo bore 100gr ammo has great reviews. Have you shot any?
    I have run some 90 grain PMC target ammo through her to break her in. Then ran some of my carry ammo through her which is Gold Dot 90 Grain GDHP. I haven't explored the Buffalo Bore yet. I would like to learn more about it though. I have some reservations on the 380's stopping power, however I still carry one and do not wish to be shot by one unless the other option is to be shot by a .45.

I have done lots of research about +p ammo in .380 pistols and they are all comparing to a .38 as far as stopping power/ up to 297 lbs. I still want to know if +p ammo cam be shot from my p238

Nice little SIG!

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Defensive007

I been looking at grain & velocity and the more I learn the more I get confused. The Buffalo Bore did spark a serious interest because of grain & velocity. It is my understanding that a bullet won't expand unless it's traveling atleast 950fps. This in interesting because alot of ammo doesn't reach that velocity especially ammo shot out of a short barreled pistol. Sometimes it seems like everything I read contradicts the previous information I've read. I say go with what works for you and your weapons of choice. Carry what performs well with you and you with it. I'm not really all that pick on what ammo I carry. I personally am going to continue shooting at a threat till it's no longer a threat. I believe in eliminating threats completely.

Finally shot my 238 really sweet shooter but I need to move the rear sights to the right. What can I use to move them???

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    Finally shot my 238 really sweet shooter but I need to move the rear sights to the right. What can I use to move them???
    Why do you think you need to adjust the sights to the right?

Did you shoot from a rest or "free style"?

A sight pusher, like one of these....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links