Diamondback DB9...Any Good?

This is a discussion on Diamondback DB9...Any Good? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking at purchasing a single stack 9mm to replace my LCP within the next 6 months or so......so far looking at the LC9 and Kahr ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Diamondback DB9...Any Good?

Diamondback DB9...Any Good?

Looking at purchasing a single stack 9mm to replace my LCP within the next 6 months or so......so far looking at the LC9 and Kahr CW9. Then I saw this Diamondback model and thought it looked pretty good......anyone have any experience with this model?
    Or with the Diamondback company in general?
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have experience with the LC9 and the CW9. I did not like the trigger on the LC9, way too long for my liking. It did go bang every time though. The CW9 has a much smoother trigger than the LC9. Although long, it is smooth and crisp. It has become the carry gun for my wife, I've gone to the CW45 for work day carry.

No input on the DB9. I've read the articles on it, but give only minimal credibility to gun evaluations in magazines. When was the last time you read an article by a paid evaluator that said "Don't buy this, it's a piece of CRAP!!" I do know it is a new gun, introduced at the SHOT Show in January. I don't think they started hitting the retailers until April or May. So it is still a new gun and I don't think there is enough real data out on themm to say one way or another if it is a good buy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

CDH
    The DB9 is described as a "micro" pistol so I think it's a bit smaller than the CW9 or LC9.

If you're going to compare the DB9 to another pistol, it would be more comparable to the Kahr CM9 or Rohrbaugh R9.

Ironically, I've been wanting another micro-9 (already have an R9 Stealth), and I'm going out today to pick up a new CM9. The DB9 doesn't appear to have enough history for me while I know the quality of Kahr even though they're a little more expensive than some others.

I have a DB9 and like it very much. People say that it compares in size to the Kahr CM9/PM9 but it does not, as it is much thinner and much lighter. My DB9 fully loaded 6+1 weighs under 16 ounces. CM9/PM9 empty with magazine weighs 16 ounces. The DB9 fully loaded 6+1 and with an extra magazine loaded with 6 rounds it weighs right under 20 ounces for a total of 13 rounds. A CM9 /PM9 fully loaded 6+1 weighs about 20 ounces. However the build quality of the CM9 / PM9 is much better and it can handle +P ammo whereas the DB9, +P is not recommended. I hope this helps. God Bless

Here are some pictues on RKBA Holster's site: RKBA Holsters: Leather Holsters: Diamondback 9mm DB9 - Updated 7/3 : Success!!!! That compares the Diamondback DB9 and the Kahr CM9 / PM9:

IMAG0381.jpg
    Attached Images
    Philly Boy likes this.

Thanks for the input....I should have said that I am looking at the Kahr CM9.....I won't be purchasing this platform type gun (9mm pocket) for 6 months (gotta save up) so maybe the Diamondback DB9 will develop a reputation by then.

VIP Member
    Nutnfancy did a pretty good review of the DB9 on you tube. He had some initial issues and got them fixed. He gave it very good reviews. I prefer the Khar CM9, but I am sure the DB9 will work well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Diamondback DB9 vs Kahr CM9

I have both the DB9 and then the CM9, and totally recommend the CM9 over the Diamondback. I did a video comparing the two and my experiences with each.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I actually looked into it as I was in the market for a single stack 9mm. I just heard/read too many bad things about it to consider it for my EDC. I would have liked to have waited on the Beretta Nano, but to much uncertainty there. I ended up buying the Walther PPS instead. Nice gun.

Review of Walther PPS vs. others

Doesn't include DB 9 though
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Nutnfancy did a pretty good review of the DB9 on you tube. He had some initial issues and got them fixed. He gave it very good reviews. I prefer the Khar CM9, but I am sure the DB9 will work well.
    I too enjoy nutnfancy's reviews, and from a "philosophy of use" standpoint the DB9 IMO is one of the most well designed self defense gun out there (hmm...sorta like a small glock...), but from a functionality standpoint it seems like the DB9 may still have a few kinks to work out. Personally though I have been keeping an eye out for one.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

This was my take on the DB9 from a few months back

DB9 Range Report

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    DB9 Range Report

Last week, one of the guys at my local range let me borrow/rent his new DB9 and fire some rounds through it.

First impressions were that it is extremely small for a 9mm and would be incredibly easy to conceal anywhere, especially a pocket. It felt a little odd in my hand, I wasn’t a huge fan of the grip feel. I do have smaller hands. It doesn’t lock back on the last round and is very bare bones not having any safeties or other things to manipulate but the slide. All things that can be a plus in a defensive pistol.

It is a snappy little bugger. I’m accustomed to my LCP and its snap, and my LC9 though snappy is much more manageable than the LCP or DB9. The DB9 doesn’t hurt to shoot but it is not comfortable and it was a little harder to get back on target for multiple shots. Obviously it’s not meant as a range gun, but 50 to 100 rounds is about the max I would want to put through a DB9 per range session.

Out of the 50 rounds I put through it, I had one double feed at round 37. The owner had already fired 450 rounds through it without any malfunctions. The following 13 shots fed just fine for me. Accuracy was decent for such a small pistol, but I am much more accurate with my LC9 which is basically in the same pocket 9 class.

I think this gun has potential as a great EDC pistol. But, from many other reviews I have read online it sounds like the DB9 still has some bugs to work out like its little brother the DB380. I would consider purchasing one but not for quite some time, at least 6 months to a year. On the Diamond Back forum, even the company’s sales rep admits they are having some issues with the DB9 that need to be resolved. I also wonder about the pistol in the long run. Will it stand up to the abuse of 9mm in such a small package or will it beat itself to death? Personally the trade off in the larger size of the LC9 makes up for itself with greater accuracy and possibly greater durability, but time will tell. But the LC9 also has many superfluous safety features that turn many off.

This review is not meant to recommend the LC9 over the DB9, its just the only pocket 9 I have in my stable to compare to the DB9.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkimmons View Post
    I have both the DB9 and then the CM9, and totally recommend the CM9 over the Diamondback. I did a video comparing the two and my experiences with each.

Jim,

Nice review. You sum it up pretty well. I have been totally impressed by the CM9 for the quality .vs cost ratio. It's a great little carry piece and may be the most accurate little gun that I have fired. I put a Crimson Trace on mine and it's deadly, I was borderline shocked with the accuracy of this little firearm. I have not had one hiccup, from firing Hydra-shocks to WWB. I have noticed that you must read the manual and use your slide release instead of a sling shot method. I tried the ladder and it nose dived a round into the feed ramp. I honestly believe many folks who have ever had an issue did not use the slide release.

I also think the DB9 is a cool little pocket rocket, I just heard so many good things about the Khar and I started there first.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Jim - Excellent review! I was surprised at how close these two guns are in size.

While not perfect, the PM9/CM9 still seem to be the "pocket" 9mm to beat. The weight advantage of the DB9 seems to be offset by other factors - reliability, recoil, and the ability to take +P ammo. For the price difference between the CM9 and DB9, I'd have to concur with your recommendation to go with the CM9.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Looks like I'll be taking a closer look at the CM9

Here's part of a writeup I just did on the DB-9 for a private forum:

I just bought this nifty little pistol and shot a couple of mags full out of it. I think I'm going to enjoy carrying it, although shooting it is not all that much fun. As you can see, it is almost identical in size to a Kahr PM-9, but it is noticeably lighter and a lot thinner. The manual says that using +P ammo will void the warranty, but only the shooter will know for sure. Besides, as snappy as the recoil is, you'll not want to shoot +P in it very much. Interestingly, it came with a $25-off coupon for Double Tap ammunition. Guess who makes only +P ammo for 9x19? Yes, I already ordered a box of Mike's +P 124gr. BJHP, which is loaded with Remington Golden Saber bullets, and is his only 124gr. offering. I will NOT be shooting RA9TA in it.

I looked at two of them, and picked the one with the best trigger, though there was not a lot of difference. The trigger pull is long, smooth, and feels like it is about 6-6.5 lbs. The spec sheet says it has a 5 lb. trigger, but I'm pretty sure this one is more than that. It may settle in at 5. I'll weigh it and post back later. It is DAO with no second-strike, just like a Kahr, which does have a better trigger.

Mine shoots about 2.5" below the sights at 8 yards, so I'll need to correct that when replacement sights become available. I shot the other one that was in the case, and it shot to the same POI. I have a friend who has one, and his shoots low, too. Seems to be a breed characteristic.

It is a little more concealable than are my Kel-Tec PF-9s, and the trigger is infinitely better than on the Kel-Tecs. I think it is a lot of gun for the money, assuming it holds up over time and rounds fired. The dealer tells me that another acquaintance of mine has one, through which he's shot hundreds of rounds, including a bunch of +P, and his is doing fine.

My offhand group at 8 yards was small, and was centered for windage. I'll bench it later, but for the gun's intended use, it is clearly accurate enough.

Atop a PM-9:

DB-9 and PM-9, muzzle-on:

And from the rear:

One thing you may have noticed is the absence of a slide stop. I have mixed emotions about that omission. The gun also only comes with one magazine, and I don't like that. For me, that makes this a "third gun" at least until additional mags are procured.

The following figures were obtained with my CED M2, ambient temp about 76 degrees F., front screen about 9 feet from the muzzle. Figures are for three shots with each load, and are rounded to the nearest whole foot per second. I only saved averages and ES, since the sample size for each was small.

Cartridge Average ES

Blazer 115gr. 1085 fps. 16 fps.
    Nyclad 124 gr. 1011 15
    C-B Pow'rBall 100gr. 1430 :o 27
    WW Silvertip 115gr. 1033 27
    Golden Saber 147gr. 939 18
    Hydra-Shok 147gr. 915 8
    Gold Dot 124gr.+P 1128 22
    C-B 115gr.+P Sierra Would not chamber*

* This gun needs a chamber reamer lightly run into the barrel. The leade is too short, and the Cor-Bon Sierra JHP engaged the rifling before the slide closed. I had to rest the front of the slide against a nylon block on the edge of my bench and shove on the grip with both hands to extract it. About one in three of the Gold Dots engaged the rifling sufficiently to make them hard to hand-extract, but they fed fine. I was surprised that neither of the 147gr. loads had an ogive with full-caliber diameter far enough forward to do this.

After checking velocities, I decided to test expansion in water for a few loads. I'd decided that one of the 147s would likely be best for carry, at least until I can ream the chamber and get a higher rear sight, if one of them would expand. When I get the chamber reamed and replace the sight, I'll put +P Gold Dots in it, I expect.

I tried the Golden Saber first, and got exactly what I'd expected, i.e., it zipped through two half gallon milk jugs, one 1-gallon milk jug, two 1-gallon windshield washer fluid jugs, and kept on truckin' across the cotton field. All holes were 9mm size, reflecting zero expansion.

I shot a Gold Dot 124gr. +P next, and it was no surprise, either: It blew hell out of two half gallon jugs, went through a gallon washer fluid jug, and stopped in the next washer fluid jug, perfectly expanded to about .58". (Photo below.)

The Hydra-Shok was next, and it surprised me. It made it as far as the Gold Dot did with the same setup, splashed me with a bunch of water, and measured about .62" at the widest point of its somewhat assymmetrical mushroom. It lost one tiny petal in the first gallon jug. (Photo below.) The amount of penetration of both the GD and the HS was exactly as much as a hot .357/125 JHP does, so I like that. So, for now at least, it is my carry load in the DB-9. Happily, it also hits closest to the sights and recoils least of all the loads tested. It's not often that things come together so well. :) Unfortunately, I only have what's left of one 20-round box of it. Oh, well...

The Pow'rBall is pretty amazing. If it shot anywhere near the sights, I'd carry it, although its recoil is the stoutest of the lot. My friend who carries a DB-9 carries Pow'rBall, but plans on no shot being over 3-5 yards, and the DB is his second gun, anyway.

Perhaps most importantly, with the exception of the Cor-Bon that wouldn't chamber, it has functioned 100% from Round 1, even with the Speer load that barely chambers. I have about 45-50 rounds through it so far. I've not checked accuracy off the bench, but I'm certain it is good enough for its intended purpose.

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    Looks like I'll be taking a closer look at the CM9
    I bought my brand new CM9 just yesterday (Sep. 5, 2011) and am very impressed.
    No, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet to establish reliability, but I will soon before I start carrying it (that's not a dis' toward the CM9.. any carry pistol should be "vetted and test fired" before putting your life in it's hands).

I can't help but to compare it to my $1200+ Rohrbaugh R9 Stealth, and while the CM9 is a little larger in every dimension, and really a bit heavier as well, it's still a 9mm and not "terribly" larger than the Stealth (which is all steel).
    The Stealth is definitely better for deep concealment, but the first thought I had is that if someone wanted a Rohrbaugh so bad they could taste it, but couldn't manage to justify the cost, then the CM9 is a really good second choice that costs a third as much as the Rohrbaugh and "almost" as concealable.
    I'm really pleased with how the CM9 points so naturally and how it feels in the hand. While the Rohrbaugh will still be my main mouse-gun, the CM9 will be in the rotation often when I can wear more clothes that are just a little more concealing than a t-shirt.
    Can't wait to shoot it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links