Recommend a speed loader for the LCR

This is a discussion on Recommend a speed loader for the LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all, is there a speed loader availabe that works well with the LCR/Tammer Grip 38 special?? i did read a few other threads on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Recommend a speed loader for the LCR

Recommend a speed loader for the LCR

hello all, is there a speed loader availabe that works well with the LCR/Tammer Grip 38 special?? i did read a few other threads on the subject,most had mixed results with various brands..none seemed to be a perfect fit..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Get a Chamfer job and call it a day. Moon clips are great and far less bulky.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

"I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

speed strips

azchevy, in his excellent review of speedloaders for the LCR which Guantes links for us in his post above, has taken the guess work out of the hunt for one to fit the LCR. I personally carry a speed strip for a reload when I'm armed with the LCR. On a side note, the short ejector on the LCR usually requires a pretty vigorous slap in order to eject spent rounds and sometimes manual removal is required which can complicate and slow down your reload with this revolver.

eb
    I use the Tuff QuickStrips and bought their little carry pouch also...

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I agree with the posters who recommended speed strips; they are easier to carry and conceal than a speed loader, I prefer them.

HKS speed loader for S&W model 36 will work on your LCR.

Personally, I consider anything less than speed loaders inadequate, when carrying a revolver.

eb
    IMHO the odds of actually being able to reload at all seem slim to none with an automatic, let alone a revolver, when you take into account most SD scenarios happen within arms length. Truth be told, I usually don't even carry the strips with me. I roll with 5 rounds of hollowpoints and take my chances that the .01% chance I'd ever need the gun, combined with the .01% chance I'd need more than 5 shots to end a "situation" is acceptable risk to me.

I did however, just buy a .45, so I'll be carrying 10+1 rounds of that here real soon instead of the LCR which will be left to "summer" duties when its just too hot to wear enough clothes to conceal the larger gun...

YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    Not as intended.

The only one I recommend is the S.L. Variant Model J-36

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post

That's what I use...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    IMHO the odds of actually being able to reload at all seem slim to none with an automatic, let alone a revolver, when you take into account most SD scenarios happen within arms length. Truth be told, I usually don't even carry the strips with me. I roll with 5 rounds of hollowpoints and take my chances that the .01% chance I'd ever need the gun, combined with the .01% chance I'd need more than 5 shots to end a "situation" is acceptable risk to me.

I did however, just buy a .45, so I'll be carrying 10+1 rounds of that here real soon instead of the LCR which will be left to "summer" duties when its just too hot to wear enough clothes to conceal the larger gun...

YMMV of course.
    Considering the weight and/or inconvenience of carrying a gun, I consider the carrying of extra ammo relatively minor.

Just don't eat at IHOP.

I agree, YMMV.

Here's what I got: Speed Loaders FWIW, the HKS for Smith J-frames only "kind of" works. Iffy at best. I like speed strips, too, but the 5-Star loader is high quality. My only complaint about it is that the knob turns a bit more easily than I'd like. That said, I haven't had one spontaneously disengage in my pocket yet.

eb
    Heh, yeah bud I know what you mean about ihop. For me with the revolver its not so much the inconvenience as me thinking through the scenario where I might actually HAVE to reload, and the odds of pulling it off in a high stress situation. That horrid ihop incident is certainly a good example of when having extra ammo might make all the difference if you can find cover. Food for thought anyway. I maintain that while revolvers are GREAT for reliability and concealability, they aren't the best for a reload scenario. I love my LCR, but I have been planning to carry something with a bigger caliber and higher round count for a few weeks now. Just need to put another few hundred rounds through the .45 and test out some defensive ammo, then its going to be my EDC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links