Ruger vs Smith cylinder release

This is a discussion on Ruger vs Smith cylinder release within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been off the forums for a while recently, but have lately taken to carrying my Smith 340pd (which I just can't get rid of--it's ...

View Poll Results: Smith vs Ruger cylinder release

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smith

14 40.00%
  • Ruger

21 60.00%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wmhawth

Thread: Ruger vs Smith cylinder release

Ruger vs Smith cylinder release

I've been off the forums for a while recently, but have lately taken to carrying my Smith 340pd (which I just can't get rid of--it's like fungus, just keeps growing on me). So in an interest to get a heavier less punishing gun for practice, I tried an sp101 at the range. I found I much prefer the Ruger cylinder release both so it doesn't beat up my thumb, and it seems easier to manipulate.
    I wonder if I'm alone in this opinion or where people break out along the spectrum, so I thought I'd post a poll.

Note this is NOT a Smith vs Ruger comparison for the relative merits of the overall firearm, just the cylinder release.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

2. Remove Ads

I own and shoot both S&Ws and Rugers and while I'm generally a bigger fan of the S&W I tend to favor the Ruger cylinder release. It's just smoother and easier in my experience.
    Diddle likes this.

I find the S&W release slightly more convenient, with its forward motion to release I do not have to change my grip to release the cylinder. The Ruger, due to the inward pressure required, requires that I change my grip slightly to activate the release. I do this without involvement of the off hand so it is not a big deal. Overall, very close, with the S&W having a slight advantage.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I have a Smitty 340 m&p, and it rips the skin off my thumb knuckle when shooting, especially heavier loads. All my Rugers, not so much. Now on my Smitty 625, the cylinder release is a different design, and it is a bigger frame so the skinned knuckle doesn't happen.

I do prefer the cylinder release on the Rugers much more, regardless of model/size gun. Also, I have to change my grip regardless to reload, so that is moot point; for me at least.

I always loved that the Ruger cylinder release is almost "internal", and out of the way.
    As someone pointed out, that also means that it is not quite as convenient when reloading under pressure, as it necessitates changing grip (for some people)

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I own and shoot both S&Ws and Rugers and while I'm generally a bigger fan of the S&W I tend to favor the Ruger cylinder release. It's just smoother and easier in my experience.
    Agreed!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I don't have much experience with Smith's but I do prefer the Ruger release.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I have a Smith and Wesson 325 Night Gaurd (45acp)on Layaway and Currently own Ruger GP100,SP101,LCR 38sp+P. I prefer the Ruger Cylinder Release.

The Ruger release is more unobtrusive but it seems less positive to me. It's just a matter of familiarity but I like the Smith & Wesson, Colt, and Ruger releases in that order.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Ditto.

I have an SP101 and a 642. I prefer the Ruger cylinder release, but not by a wide margin.

VIP Member
    And another vote for the Ruger, just seems so much easier than the S&W.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I don't know if I can say I prefer one over the other as yet. I started my revo training with a Smith so I was used to the push forward but now that I own a Ruger LCR the push in is a bit different but no where bad. I guess with more training with the LCR I might come to love the push in but for now I will just say its not better or worse than the push forward, just feels different to me for now.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Links