Question about my new purchase...Sig P239

This is a discussion on Question about my new purchase...Sig P239 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a Sig P239 from my local dealer. It was a consignment gun with original box and paperwork, Hogue Grips, 5 mags, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tigers

Thread: Question about my new purchase...Sig P239

I just picked up a Sig P239 from my local dealer. It was a consignment gun with original box and paperwork, Hogue Grips, 5 mags, and Night Sites. All for $499!! At that price, I figured I can't lose...even if I don't end up carrying it daily I could sell it and probably make money! however, I do have a question that maybe someone can help me answer...

This particular model is Double Action only (no decocker). The dealer said that sig produce these particularly for law enforcement where there are trigger restrictions in play. When the magazine is inserted and the first round is chambered, the hammer drops back into the normal "de-cocked" position as it would if this feature were present. My question is this, from my reasearch, Sig produces a DA/SA, DAO, and the new DAK trigger systems....the DAO and DAK are supposed to be similar in function and purpose, the only difference being the sequencial pulls after the original DA are supposed to be "lighter" with the DAK system in place. Is there a way to tell if my gun is DAO or DAK?? I'm not sure I would be able to tell just from firing it, or maybe I will. Any experience here??

Thanks,

DAK came around about 2004, if the gun is from before than it is a true DAO.

If your not sure, cock it, dry fire it and dont let go of the trigger. Then slowly start to release it. If you hear a click about half way back to reset it is a DAK.
    jwhite75 likes this.

That's a great deal! I bought mine new for $760 +tax w/ 3 mags, nite sites and was happy!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Great deal!

I can not answer your question as mine is DA/SA with the decocker...
    You might go over to: Main Page and look around. I'm sure the answer will be there.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg34 View Post
    I just picked up a Sig P239 from my local dealer. It was a consignment gun with original box and paperwork, Hogue Grips, 5 mags, and Night Sites. All for $499!! At that price, I figured I can't lose...even if I don't end up carrying it daily I could sell it and probably make money! however, I do have a question that maybe someone can help me answer...

This particular model is Double Action only (no decocker). The dealer said that sig produce these particularly for law enforcement where there are trigger restrictions in play. When the magazine is inserted and the first round is chambered, the hammer drops back into the normal "de-cocked" position as it would if this feature were present. My question is this, from my reasearch, Sig produces a DA/SA, DAO, and the new DAK trigger systems....the DAO and DAK are supposed to be similar in function and purpose, the only difference being the sequencial pulls after the original DA are supposed to be "lighter" with the DAK system in place. Is there a way to tell if my gun is DAO or DAK?? Thanks,

A Factory original DAK will have a Bobbed Hammer ( see picture below ) and have second strike capability.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thanks for the input....I have tried to research the serial number to get a production date, but Sig charges $49.00 for a manufacturers certificate, so that's not going to happen. I have dry fired and it seems that the trigger must release all the way forward until it resets, so that lends it to DAO unless it proves different at the range. The hammer is recessed and the "bob" is a smooth arc, not angled like the picture above, so the evidence is mounting.

Quick question about "second strike" ability. (Forgive my noviceness here)...wouldn't a DAO trigger automatically have second strike capability as it is replicating the entire cocking/firing sequence?

Thanks for the help.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

DAK HAMMER

SIG Hammer - P220/226/229 Phosphate - DAK - Top Gun Supply

-------------------------
    DAK SEAR

----------------------
    DAK TRIGGER BAR

----------------
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Ship it to me and I will tell you if it s DAK or DAO :)Seriously though, ask over at Sigforum or look through their serial number thread and you should get an idea of when it was born.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

@maddy345....Thanks for the tip. I checked out SigForum and it appears my Sig P239 was manufactured in late November 2007. I joined the forum there but can't really do much until my membership is "approved", whatever that means. I am starting to lean towards believing mine has the DAK trigger base upon the posts you friendly folks have given me. I can't be for certain, but I would think that after 2004 when the DAK was introduced, a straight DAO trigger would be few and far between....but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg34 View Post
    @maddy345....Thanks for the tip. I checked out SigForum and it appears my Sig P239 was manufactured in late November 2007. I joined the forum there but can't really do much until my membership is "approved", whatever that means. I am starting to lean towards believing mine has the DAK trigger base upon the posts you friendly folks have given me. I can't be for certain, but I would think that after 2004 when the DAK was introduced, a straight DAO trigger would be few and far between....but who knows.
    Both Defensivecarry and Sigforum have some really great people as members and I have learned a TON from both boards. I hope you enjoy your Sig but be careful. They are addictive!!

Two questions....

1. What caliber is your Sig?

2. Have you ever tried a Sig with the SRT (short reset trigger) installed?

I don't know your background in shooting but the DA/SA trigger od a Sig with the SRT installed is hard to beat. You can very easily change the DAO or DAK parts in yours and convert it to DA/SA.

Soem people prefer a consistent trigger and soem like the DA/SA. The DA pull will be around 10lbs and the SA pull will be around 4.5lbs with an incredibly short stroke.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

@maddy345....My Sig is 9mm 8+1. I finally went to the range the other day and I must say the DAK takes some getting used to. In theory, as I understand it, is that the first pull is longer and lighter, then there is a mid-reset position that you can fire again from that is supposed to have a heavier pull. The adjustment for me came from the fact that I couldn't find a consistency with either reset. Sometimes when the trigger was completely let forward it would "stack" to the mid point before getting any tension as if it didn't fully reset, very similar to a DA. Other times it would. I have a good friend who is a Sig lover and he also mentioned that I could very easily have it converted to a SA/DA platform...but I want to put a number of boxes through it as is first.

I have heard of the SRT triggers, but I buy most of my guns used and often times it is difficult to decifer what variant platform the gun may have. As I said previously, the evidence points to my Sig having DAK, but I can't be certain with my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    DAK came around about 2004, if the gun is from before than it is a true DAO.

If your not sure, cock it, dry fire it and dont let go of the trigger. Then slowly start to release it. If you hear a click about half way back to reset it is a DAK.
    Yep....that's a DAK then.

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

That photo is exacty what I am looking for! A p239 sas dak, they are hard to come by now that they have the gen 2. How's the lasermax?

Quote Originally Posted by sniperxix View Post
    That photo is exacty what I am looking for! A p239 sas dak, they are hard to come by now that they have the gen 2. How's the lasermax?
    The lasermax is very good. Only complaint that I have is that it flashes instead of constant beam. Think the newer models have an option for both. I did not want to lose the wood grips, so I opted for the LM instead of CT.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Links