GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

This is a discussion on GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The new RSA came in on Thursday and I took it out to the range today. Put another 250 rounds of Federal 180 gr. FMJ ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

The new RSA came in on Thursday and I took it out to the range today. Put another 250 rounds of Federal 180 gr. FMJ through it without a hiccup. The only things I noticed between the old RSA and the new RSA were that the gun seemed to be a little easier to rack and my ejections "seemed" to travel in a more consistent pattern. I have no empirical evidence for that last part, but that's how it appeared.

Let me know what happens with your G19, C Hawk.

2. Remove Ads

Must be the "users fault" probably all limp wristing it :)its a Glock...remember..something about "perfection"? isnt it :)

VIP Member
    Update #3

So I just received my Gen 4 G17 back from Glock today with a report saying that there is nothing wrong with the firearm, and it meets current Glock spec. This is the biggest pile of horse crap I have ever seen, unless the spec is having consistent stove pipes and throwing brass at your forehead. It's a sad day at my household as I will never purchase another Glock again in the foreseeable future. I will hold onto my old ones and move on. All of you guys who are still drinking the old Koolaid better wise up, this is not your old Gaston's Glock Corporation. The beautiful thing that was Glock is gone in favor of money and cost cutting measures.

I really wanted to like the Gen 4 and gave it a chance over getting another M&P. I am just severally disappointed and almost heartbroken with Glock.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by C Hawk Glock
    Update #3

So I just received my Gen 4 G17 back from Glock today with a report saying that there is nothing wrong with the firearm, and it meets current Glock spec. This is the biggest pile of horse crap I have ever seen, unless the spec is having consistent stove pipes and throwing brass at your forehead. It's a sad day at my household as I will never purchase another Glock again in the foreseeable future. I will hold onto my old ones and move on. All of you guys who are still drinking the old Koolaid better wise up, this is not your old Gaston's Glock Corporation. The beautiful thing that was Glock is gone in favor of money and cost cutting measures.

I really wanted to like the Gen 4 and gave it a chance over getting another M&P. I am just severally disappointed and almost heartbroken with Glock.
    Oh boy! That is a disappointment. I wish I could think of something encouraging to say, but there's not much hope left.

I just can't believe Glock has done this. How could they not know of these problems before they started selling them?

From what I've read, the gen 4 issues seem to be hit or miss. Of course it may be that the problems are just going to surface later.

I was right on the edge of buying a G17 gen 4 but no more - it's just too big of a risk.

C Hawk,
    You mentioned possibly an H&K in your future - which one did you have in mind and what are you going to do about the awful-est DA trigger ever produced? Maybe if we both buy one we can get a quantity/group discount.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have a 3rd generation G21 and G19. They are awesome.

There's no way in hell I'd buy a 4th gen, though.

Glock has to be one of the most tone-deaf companies ever. Customers friggin' BEG for things like single-stack 9mm guns, carbines, etc., and instead, Glock gives us stuff like the GAP and the 4th generation debacle. An answer to a question that nobody asked, and the breaking of something that didn't need fixing.
    Last edited by lowercase; October 25th, 2011 at 07:56 PM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Update #3

I genuinely hate to hear all that. I have a Gen4 19 which I have been absolutely pleased with, but stories like yours prompted me to make my most recent Glock a 3rd generation model.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Oh boy! That is a disappointment. I wish I could think of something encouraging to say, but there's not much hope left.

I just can't believe Glock has done this. How could they not know of these problems before they started selling them?

From what I've read, the gen 4 issues seem to be hit or miss. Of course it may be that the problems are just going to surface later.

I was right on the edge of buying a G17 gen 4 but no more - it's just too big of a risk.

C Hawk,
    You mentioned possibly an H&K in your future - which one did you have in mind and what are you going to do about the awful-est DA trigger ever produced? Maybe if we both buy one we can get a quantity/group discount.
    Tangle,

I will probably purchase an HK P30 and go with a LEM variation. So far I have been loving this new Sig Elite though. The Short Reset Trigger is superb, it's one of the best out of the box triggers I have used. I was timing my shots today and they are very fast when shooting multiple shot strings. I am shooting about 6 rounds per second while still hitting my target zones.

tts
    ***UPDATE Part 2***

I have spoken with Glock and they want me to send the gun back. They said they will take care of it. I will follow up with my experience and let you guys know what happens. So far I was impressed by the attitude to make it right.
    Which Glock do you have?

Senior Moderator
    Tangle,

I will probably purchase an HK P30 and go with a LEM variation. So far I have been loving this new Sig Elite though. The Short Reset Trigger is superb, it's one of the best out of the box triggers I have used. I was timing my shots today and they are very fast when shooting multiple shot strings. I am shooting about 6 rounds per second while still hitting my target zones.
    I like the P30 - don't much care for the LEM trigger, but I can see how someone would like it.

Interesting you are liking the Sig; that's what I've been carrying this week - the P229R E2 SRT.

That's some very fast shooting! I'm sure once one gets acclimated to and can properly use the SRT, shot 'bursts' are going to get fast!

I have some Mecgar 20 round mags for my P226R and just last night installed an SRT kit in it. The 20 rounders have a mag extension so they aren't flush fit, but Mecgar puts a nice sleeve on the mag and it really looks good. And they also make an 18 round flush fit mag for the P226.

Mags for the P229 series has gotten interesting. The standard classic P229 has a 13 round mag. Mecgar makes a 15 round flush fit for that P229 and an extended 17 round mag for the 229, again not flush fit, but it looks good. IOW it's more than just a long mag - it looks good too.

Now that Sig has started building 9mm P229s on the .40 cal P229 frame, the new guns come with an 'offset' mag like the .40 cal. That puts two more rounds of 9mm in the mag. The older style P229 mags will work in the newer frame style, but I wouldn't do that for a true SD gun, but the newer mags are too wide to work in the older style frame. Here's what's interesting:

One can get a 15 and 17 round mag for the old style frame but one wouldn't want to use them in the newer frame, at least not for SD purposes. So now there's more selection of mags for the older style than the newer style. It will be interesting to see if Mecgar makes a 16 & 18 round mag for the newer style frame. I wouldn't think they could get much more than that.

But wow, I've really drifted here, so back to the regularly scheduled program...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tts View Post
    Which Glock do you have?
    Gen 4 G17

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I like the P30 - don't much care for the LEM trigger, but I can see how someone would like it.

Interesting you are liking the Sig; that's what I've been carrying this week - the P229R E2 SRT.

That's some very fast shooting! I'm sure once one gets acclimated to and can properly use the SRT, shot 'bursts' are going to get fast!

I have some Mecgar 20 round mags for my P226R and just last night installed an SRT kit in it. The 20 rounders have a mag extension so they aren't flush fit, but Mecgar puts a nice sleeve on the mag and it really looks good. And they also make an 18 round flush fit mag for the P226.

Mags for the P229 series has gotten interesting. The standard classic P229 has a 13 round mag. Mecgar makes a 15 round flush fit for that P229 and an extended 17 round mag for the 229, again not flush fit, but it looks good. IOW it's more than just a long mag - it looks good too.

Now that Sig has started building 9mm P229s on the .40 cal P229 frame, the new guns come with an 'offset' mag like the .40 cal. That puts two more rounds of 9mm in the mag. The older style P229 mags will work in the newer frame style, but I wouldn't do that for a true SD gun, but the newer mags are too wide to work in the older style frame. Here's what's interesting:

One can get a 15 and 17 round mag for the old style frame but one wouldn't want to use them in the newer frame, at least not for SD purposes. So now there's more selection of mags for the older style than the newer style. It will be interesting to see if Mecgar makes a 16 & 18 round mag for the newer style frame. I wouldn't think they could get much more than that.

But wow, I've really drifted here, so back to the regularly scheduled program...
    I have the 18 round flush fitting mags and they work great. That is a ton of bullets in a small package! How do you like the SRT? I really like it and I am getting pretty fast on shooting multiple round strings with it.

OD*
    Update #3

Forget Glock, get a GEN4 Recoil Assembly Adapter Ring from Brownells, The Glock Store etc., you can then use the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation RSA and be done with it. I've never had another problem out of my Gen4 G17.

GEN4 Recoil Assembly Adapter Ring - YouTube
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Forget Glock, get a GEN4 Recoil Assembly Adapter Ring from Brownells, The Glock Store etc., you can then use the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation RSA and be done with it. I've never had another problem out of my Gen4 G17.

GEN4 Recoil Assembly Adapter Ring - YouTube
    Oh trust me, I thought about that but was not sure if that would give rid of the ejecting brass to the face problem too. I think there may be a couple things a play here.

OD*
    Oh trust me, I thought about that but was not sure if that would give rid of the ejecting brass to the face problem too. I think there may be a couple things a play here.
    I only had a couple cases come straight back originally, none since, but that's not much of a scientific study either.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Senior Moderator
    I have the 18 round flush fitting mags and they work great. That is a ton of bullets in a small package! How do you like the SRT? I really like it and I am getting pretty fast on shooting multiple round strings with it.
    I haven't really tried out the SRT 'at speed' yet; for some odd reason, my P229R E2 shoots low and I've been working with that.

My GEN4 G19 came with an "04" RSA. I never had a problem out of it. However, I called Glock when I found about the RSA exchange program. My G19 was on the list.

I received my replacement RSA within a week, took the gun to the range, and it performed flawlessly. I then sent the old RSA to Glock and I continue to be a satisfied Glock customer. I carry the G36 as my EDC. The G19 was the only GEN4 Glock that I have.

It took me quite a few years to warm up to the Glock, but now I have come to appreciate them, as I do my XD45, 92FS, SP101, GP-100s, 1911s, yada, yada, yada.
    • "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
    • The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links