Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

58K views 113 replies 67 participants last post by  JD 
#1 ·
From Pistol-Training.com, great news indeed.

"If you’ve been following the tale of gen4 Glocks, you know that in just over a year the company has tried a variety of different recoil spring assembly (RSA) variants trying to alleviate various problems users have experienced. Adding to the trouble has been the need for different RSAs for guns with and without a properly counterbored spring box (aka, “nose ring”).

Finally, they’ve got it all figured out and Glock is announcing a free “exchange program” for any gen4 Glock owner. There is now just one RSA per model, regardless of whether the slide was counterbored for the RSA or not. As someone who owns two non-counterbored Glocks, I can tell you that is good news because finding the non-counterbored-only spring (0-2-1) is almost impossible.

All you need to do is contact Glock at 1-877-745-8523 with your serial number and model number. They will send you a replacement spring and a pre-addressed envelope to return the old one. For details, you can visit TeamGlock.com.

Tip of the hat to pistol-forum.com member hvd229 for initially posting the info!"

#100 ·
I'm looking at a Gen4 G19 right now and I'm really interested in it but have heard that cheap ammo (such as some FMJ target ammo) won't eject. After 402 rounds I'm sure that you've tried some different stuff. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of ammo do you use for target shooting and for SD?

#94 ·
never had any issues with my 17 4th gen, but called them anyhow. They were great to deal with said probs were 1 gun in a couple of thousand had some prob took my serial number and said just to be safe sending me new spring had it in 4 days. Put 400 rds through it just like before no prob no noticeable difference in new spring sent the old one back in envelope they sent. Great customer service

#95 ·
Not to beat on Glock but this has been a issue with some model Glocks since the Gen 4 hit the street, about two years ago, and in my opinion should have been corrected two years ago. Can you imagine the bad press had it been another manufacturer and they failed to resolve the problem for two years and the present fix is still questionable. Someone suggested that Glock provide the serial numbers of the weapons in question, why have they not? Either they don't know and the problem could be/is wider spread or legal ramifications of doing so. Sure glad the Springfield XD series has not had a reliability problem such as this.

#107 ·
I got my replacement RSA in the mail two days ago. It took just over a week to get here after I called Glock. My G22 gen 4 was test fired in 2010 by Glock but not since. I'm still waiting on the doc's release before I can shoot it. Anyway, the only differences I saw were numbers stamped on the rear of the new one and no numbers on my "old" one, and the spring could have been maybe the slightest bit heavier but not really sure about that. I sent their non numbered spring back the next day.

#108 ·
Just want to say that I bought a Gen 4 G 19 about a month ago and already traded it. I had multiple fail to fires, casings to the face, and the slide would randomly go forward while "locked." I called Glock and they said there was nothing they could do because Glocks don't fire 115 grain ammo reliably (I was using Blazer Brass 115 grain as I always do). They also said to expect a few erratic casings and the slide is just due to me using too much force. My gun was "born" on 5/31/13.

Needless to say I'm not buying another Glock. I tried. And yea, maybe I got a lemon, but I don't have hundreds of dollars to roll the dice with. If Glock would have said there was a problem and offered to fix it I might still be trying to make it work but they didn't. They said my gun had all of the updated parts and basically, that's just the way it is.

Hopefully you don't have those problems but I thought I'd tell my story because I wish I would have read something like it prior to buying. The "issues" are not resolved - at least not in my experience. Good luck!

#110 ·
With quality 115 grain ammo you should really have no problems. With cheapos, you might have issues as the spring can be too heavy for a light bullet + light load combination. For what it's worth, I've had one failure to feed in 500 rounds with my Gen4 19 (at roughly round #200), and that was with 115 grain range ammo. My Gen4 26 has had 300 rounds put through it, both 115 and 124 grain, without any complaints. If you want to keep the gun, my suggestion would be to feed it a few boxes of 124 grain (or at least better 115 grain, I've had no problems with Blazer or Federal FMJ) and seeing how it works.

The slide release thing is not unique to Glocks, and is simply a factor of the force you're tapping your magazines in being sufficient to move the slide release spring. If it bothers you, you could try taking it to a Glock armorer to get a new slide release spring installed (hopefully a stiffer one).

#111 ·
I want to be clear that I probably got a lemon based on others success with the Glock (but Glock did not offer to fix it and instead told me that's how it is). But I have to say that I use the same 115 grain Blazer Brass ammo with all my guns and none have ever failed to fire. I also use the same force to put a magazine into my guns and none slide forward before I want them to. Also, I am not going to keep the gun as I already traded it for a Ruger SR9c and have had zero failures etc...with the Ruger. All I want out of a gun is reliability and accuracy, I don't need a supportive Internet community to go along with it. I have that now. And like I said, I'm not bashing Glocks in general (any brand can produce lemons) but I still wanted to tell my story as it is true and I wish I was aware of it prior to purchasing.

#113 ·
I wanted to update with the fact that I've purchased a Glock 27 Gen 4. Like I said, I can admit to buying a lemon and I don't judge an entire brand because of one purchase. And as to the above posting, quite frankly if a 9mm can't shoot 115 grain range ammo reliably it isn't worth crap as it destroys my confidence in the gun. My two Ruger 9mm's never fail to fire my 115 grain range ammo. So, if the G19 I bought wasn't a lemon, it was just plain crap. Still, the Glock 27 is great. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.