GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue. - Page 4

GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

This is a discussion on GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Taurian My GEN4 G19 came with an "04" RSA. I never had a problem out of it. However, I called Glock when ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurian View Post
    My GEN4 G19 came with an "04" RSA. I never had a problem out of it. However, I called Glock when I found about the RSA exchange program. My G19 was on the list.

I received my replacement RSA within a week, took the gun to the range, and it performed flawlessly. I then sent the old RSA to Glock and I continue to be a satisfied Glock customer. I carry the G36 as my EDC. The G19 was the only GEN4 Glock that I have.

It took me quite a few years to warm up to the Glock, but now I have come to appreciate them, as I do my XD45, 92FS, SP101, GP-100s, 1911s, yada, yada, yada.
    Honestly good for you, I am glad someone else is liking the Gen 4. I will keep my oldie but goodies at this point. I have too many other firearms that can fill the role nicely. My theory is that G17's seem to have more issues then the G19's though.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

All of the new Gen 4 Pistols as of July forward are good to go ! The spring issue was solved and is no longer a concern.
    quite a few people came to the range with Gen 4 G-17's & 19's and had no problems with standard pressure range ammo.
    Ammo used was American eagle, PMC, Blazer, and Lawman. When they first built the Gen 4 17 they made it with law enforcement loads in mind,
    +P and +P+ mainly. An oversight for Glock forgetting civilians ! It has been resolved and Glock did/does stand behind their exchange program, even giving folks two new springs for the old one ! The New Gen 4 G-21 is damn nice ! I think im going to pick one up today ! The grip angle is a bit more relaxed on the Gen 4 21. It doesn't have that intense slope at the bottom of the grip like the previous models. Once you hold it, your gonna want one !!

Has other Gen 4 models had issues as well? I seem to hear a lot of problems with the 19 and 17 but not for the 26. I'm considering the Gen 4 26 but haven't been able to shoot one yet.

NO, glock havent fixed totally the problem with the new RSA 0-4-3... some people have the latest gen4 with the 0-4-3 and still have some trouble..

the problem is not only the spring.. if you send back to glock the gun they will change the ejector for the new one 30274.. and in some cases they can change the extractor too..

some people change the extractor and that just fix the problem for them. some people have the 0-4 RSA and the gun run flawless..

it is known that many people have problem with the brass hitting their face, erratic ejection...

I am waiting for the RSA 0-4-3 and let see how it works, I had 4 FTE in 2000 rounds, usually using Federal Champ.. but I got 1 FTE with 147gr Gold Dot JHP and that is a NO NO..

and many erratic ejections hitting my face, hat, going to the left..

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun4169 View Post
    +P and +P+ mainly. An oversight for Glock forgetting civilians ! It has been resolved and Glock did/does stand behind their exchange program, even giving folks two new springs for the old one ! The New Gen 4 G-21 is damn nice ! I think im going to pick one up today ! The grip angle is a bit more relaxed on the Gen 4 21. It doesn't have that intense slope at the bottom of the grip like the previous models. Once you hold it, your gonna want one !!
    also did not think of target pinking.. who uses +P+ for pinking.. I'll just keep my 3rd Gen Glock 17 and 26 for now.

I like the feel of the revised glock grip. At least in the store, as I have not had opportunity to fire one.

My first impulse was to wait until no problems being reported and then consider a purchase. Now I don't know if even then I would buy a glock. I have to wonder if down the road problems may still occur even when the negative reports stop coming in. It appears there might be something wrong with the basic design and all the present and future fixes may be just band aids, that may become undone down the road.

In the last 2 months, I've purchased a Gen4 Glock 22 and 23. I've put 1500 rounds through the 22 with the original spring and the replacement spring. Both worked fine and I have had no issues with FTF/FTE's or ejections. I have put 200 rounds through the 23 with the old and new spring as well, and also have had zero issues. Granted this is just my personal experience, and these are the first Glocks I've ever owned, but I've been happy so far.

My advice is if you like the way it feels in the store, try and rent one or find someone who will let you shoot their gun and see what you think. If you like it, buy it. If it doesn't work out, Glocks tend to hold their value so you should be able to break even on a private sale or trade.
    Last edited by Penhall; November 21st, 2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Startin to sound like Taurus.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Penhall View Post
    In the last 2 months, I've purchased a Gen4 Glock 22 and 23. I've put 1500 rounds through the 22 with the original spring and the replacement spring. Both worked fine and I have had no issues with FTF/FTE's or ejections. I have put 200 rounds through the 23 with the old and new spring as well, and also have had zero issues. Granted this is just my personal experience, and these are the first Glocks I've ever owned, but I've been happy so far.

My advice is if you like the way it feels in the store, try and rent one or find someone who will let you shoot their gun and see what you think. If you like it, buy it. If it doesn't work out, Glocks tend to hold their value so you should be able to break even on a private sale or trade.
    First off the issues are with 9mm's, and second I would hate to buy a gun from you. I traded my Gen 4 G17 only after everything finally got fixed from Glock and the guy was in full disclosure of the factory work order.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Startin to sound like Taurus.
    If Glock having issues with only one caliber handgun sounds like Taurus, then you might as well throw in every firearms manufacturer in the world as "sounding like Taurus." Every manufacturer has had issues somewhere along the line. Glock is only having issues with 9mm, and the fix is rather simple.

End of story.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I have a Gen 4 19 and 26 and really like them both. I have the updated recoil springs in my 19 but it worked fine with the original one. I had two stove pipes out of about 200 rounds using that cheap federal red boxed walmart ammo. Ejection is kinda random at times and once in a while it bounces one off my hat, but that doesn't bother me at all. ( I also shoot lefty so that may have more to do with it ) Shot some Fiocchi JHP through the G19 and ejection was strong and casings were landing in nearly the same spot over and over. My gen 4 26 has been perfect.

I have been doing a lot of research into this as I have been really wanting to get a Gen 4 G-19 for a while now. However, I have really lost confidence in Glock over this issue. Even after having a Gen 3 G-23 for 12 flawless years. Today I'm going to get a new M&P9 instead of Glock. Maybe one day Glock will redeem themselves but in the mean time I think I'll give them some time to figure out what's going on before they blow their whole reputation.

I found two interesting things when doing my research on the Glock problems with erratic feeding, stovepipes and ejection.

One is this YouTube video I posted below. The other interesting thing found in my research is this one thread from the Glock Talk forum. Particularly is the exchange beteween TexasPOff (a Glock Armorer) and the original poster in the thread FyreCalG17. It especially gets interesting on page 6 regarding what TexasPOff finds with the new MIM extractor and how he has seemed to have fixed the problem. I read through all 13 pages and found it most interesting.

Gen4 19 - I Give UP! from (Glocktalk)

Judge for yourself. I found the posted thread and video I found to be quite interesting. I just hope Glock gets their act together. It seems they feel they are so big now, they don't have to care anymore.

All your Glock Gen 4 pistol questions answered!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Have all of the recoil spring and extractor issues been fixed in brand new Gen 4 Glocks being sold today?

I personally think this issue is rather blown out of proportion. These things spread like wild fire on forums by people who haven't even shot a gen4 it seems. I own 2 and like them. The shop i bought from has sold plenty and haven't had any complaints. Now they are blaming extractors and ejectors, but they are the same ones that have been on gen 3's for many years and yet people praise those up and down.

I wanted to add i see forums full of problems with almost every gun out there.

M&P it was cracked slides and rusting issues

XD's slides were rusting

CZ p-07 polymer frame was bulging above trigger

Gen 4 glocks erratic ejection and some stove pipes with bottom barrel junk ammo

I've owned all of these guns and mine always worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by genauwiedu View Post
    I personally think this issue is rather blown out of proportion. These things spread like wild fire on forums by people who haven't even shot a gen4 it seems. I own 2 and like them. The shop i bought from has sold plenty and haven't had any complaints. Now they are blaming extractors and ejectors, but they are the same ones that have been on gen 3's for many years and yet people praise those up and down.
    I understand how things do get blown out of proportion. And chances of getting a bad one are probably slimmer than most people want to think. However, there have been several members of this forum who has had problems with their Gen 4's. I believe JD and Limatunes to be one of them with their Gen 4.

Also, when starting to research the issue, I've seen a lot of YouTube videos showing the problems. When you see rounds ejecting into peoples faces enough times and ejecting completely over peoples LEFT shoulder, it doesn't take long to figure out they are having problems with the gun. Since the Gen 4 has been out, Glock has gone through no less than 5 different spring assemblies trying to fix it.

Now we are seeing reports from Glock Armorers and others regarding use of MIM extractors in all US Made Gen 4's and in Gen 3's manufactured since Oct. 2010.

The problem I have is the problems with getting it fixed. Including a lot of runaround from Glock. I don't believe everyone is making this stuff up. When someone I've watched for years on YouTube, and over the course of that time has proven to be a reputable person says they've had their Gen 4 back to Glock 3 times, I tend to believe their assertions.

Now I've had a Gen 3 G-23 for about 12 years and I love it, love it, love it. It's been flawless, but my guns are defensive weapons which get used for target practice and training. But the primary role of all my handguns is to save my life!

If Glock is having problems and are not up to the reputation for reliability that they enjoyed for the last 25+ years, I'm going to pass on them until I see things are back on track. If it was an easy fix... One quick phone call, one new part promptly sent out, I'd stay with Glock. But that doesn't seem to be the case with those unfortunate enough to get a bad one. Having to send it in 2 or 3 times, different spring assembly here, different ejector there, questionable extractor... phone call, after phone call... I don't need that headache!

I'm selling my G-23 only because I'm getting rid of .40 cal in my inventory and opting to stay with 9mm & .45 ACP's. So instead of a new Gen 4 G-19, which I've really been wanting... I'm getting a S&W M&P9.

I never even considered getting an M&P until I finally handled one. And it actually fits my hand ergonomically about 70% better than the Gen 4 G-19, even with the new back straps on the Gen 4. And still, I would go with Glock, if the new ones were as reliable as all the other Gen 2 & Gen 3 G-19's of the past 25 years. But they're not. A lot of them are... But definitely not all of them.

No doubt you've been getting some of the good ones.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links