GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

This is a discussion on GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ^ Thats understandable. I guess weak and erratic ejection with cheap ammo just doesn't bother me. I don't care which direction, or how far the ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

^ Thats understandable. I guess weak and erratic ejection with cheap ammo just doesn't bother me. I don't care which direction, or how far the casing is tossed as long as it leaves the ejection port. Casings bouncing off my hat once in a while is the least of my concerns. :D Google "M&P ejects at face" and you get plenty of hits. I feel for me, its just an ammo issue. ( and being a cursed lefty! LOL )

2. Remove Ads

Glock Issues

I can only speak from my own experience. I have a Glock 19 Gen 4 that has experienced most of the issues listed in this discussion. With target ammunition (Winchester White Box, UMC, Federal, etc.) it has had multiple failure to feeds and one stovepipe. It also shows consistent ejection issues - mostly brass to the face, but approximately 1 in 10 eject to the left (more like dribble over the top of the weapon). I have replaced the original O-4-2 spring with the O-4-3. That helped somewhat (no failures since, but still ejection issues) as well as installed a Lone Wolf extractor (again, marginal improvement, no failures since replacement, but continued ejection issues).

All that said, the gun has been completely reliable with defensive ammunition and I trust it with full power ammunition. It just doesn't make a great range gun. It does seem to be improving with time, and with over 1000 rounds through it (and over 500 with the new spring), it just might get there.

I also own Springfield XD(M)'s and S&W M&P's. The M&P is also in 9mm and also shows somewhat erratic ejection with "low power" rounds.

The bottom line is do your research and pay attention to ALL comments / forums before spending your money. While I've been somewhat frustrated with both the Glock and M&P, I am confident in both as a self defense gun. Still searching for that perfect range gun that ejects all the spend casings into a Dixie cup...

Picked up a new Glock 19 Gen4 this weekend. Approved stamp Nov 8, 2011 on spent shell envelop. Put 150 rounds of regular Winchester from Wal-Mart without any issues. My first magazine of 15 was a bit scattered but i put the larger grip on and shot much better. Great gun.

^ glad to hear it, I've had nothing but good luck with both of my gen 4's.

I have a Model 27 Gen 4 .40cal. Never had an issue with this gun until today. Simply cleaning the gun the spring was causing me issues every time I reassembled it. Then as I sat puzzled as to the problem I ended up here and find this discussion. Never heard of this issue till it happened to me then saw it here....Odd

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooch41 View Post
    I have a Model 27 Gen 4 .40cal. Never had an issue with this gun until today. Simply cleaning the gun the spring was causing me issues every time I reassembled it. Then as I sat puzzled as to the problem I ended up here and find this discussion. Never heard of this issue till it happened to me then saw it here....Odd
    I sit puzzled as to the problem, as well, since you didn't state it. The RSA problem discussed in this thread do not involve the sub-compact Gen4s.

Correct, and also not the .40 cals either....

Quote Originally Posted by Yjt0189 View Post
    Picked up a new Glock 19 Gen4 this weekend. Approved stamp Nov 8, 2011 on spent shell envelop. Put 150 rounds of regular Winchester from Wal-Mart without any issues. My first magazine of 15 was a bit scattered but i put the larger grip on and shot much better. Great gun.
    I too have the Gen4 19 bought from the store with the latest extractor/RSA on November, 3 2012. 1200 rounds later, only 2 failures (bad primers, not the gun's fault).

Quote Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
    . I have replaced the original O-4-2 spring with the O-4-3..
    I am looking to buy a Gen 4 Model 19 in three weeks or so. I intend on looking at the RSA before I take it home. Is this O-4-3 the correct number I should look for? And/Or is there a specific start date of manufacture or serial number range that have the correct RSA? Are these Gen 4s afflicted with the MIM extractor problem that some current Gen 3s seem to be having?

Thanks.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Didnt read all the posts but in case someone was worried Glock gen4 g26 hasnt had much for spring issues and personally i have not had any problems shooting all types of cheap 9mm ammo - including white box

New Glock question...... I have a Glock 22 which i love, so i have been looking at a new smaller version. Read some pretty good things about the 23 Gen4, and although they mentioned the spring, the article that reviewed the gun said it had been fixed. Did some seaching on the internet as to another good CCW. ordered it last Friday after i shot the 23 gen3, now i read a problems and how people wouldn't buy a Glock again. Did I make a mistake, my gun will show up this week?

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    New Glock question...... I have a Glock 22 which i love, so i have been looking at a new smaller version. Read some pretty good things about the 23 Gen4, and although they mentioned the spring, the article that reviewed the gun said it had been fixed. Did some seaching on the internet as to another good CCW. ordered it last Friday after i shot the 23 gen3, now i read a problems and how people wouldn't buy a Glock again. Did I make a mistake, my gun will show up this week?
    I've had my Gen4 G23 since March and I love it. Have had no eyes put out, no stove pipes, and only one jam on a magazine where I dropped all the cartridges in the dirt before loading them. Wiped them off real good, but that must explain the jam as it hasn't happened any other time in over 1000 rounds. So maybe you made a mistake, I don't know, but I know I wouldn't sell mine back at cost +10%. And don't put much store in what a Nine Nancy or a Glock Block says. Get what's best for you.

Thanks for your input on your new glock. I'm looking forward to getting it, i talked to the gun store again yesterday and they said that issue is an old issue. with that and your new Glock, i'm not to worried.

My new Gen 4 G17 hasn't had any problems. In fact, it's quickly becoming my favorite pistol.

g27 gen4

I just got a used like new g27 and probably wouldnt have if I had read this first. After 200 rounds of various types ammo I have experienced no failures or no unusual ejections. I have never been a big fan of the 40 and got this with the intent on putting a 9mm barrel in it and shooting +P+, but after shooting it I'm keeping it the way it is. This thing is dead on accurate and reliable so far. Im impressed with how hard the 40 drops my steel ram compared to the 45 and the 9. I'm wondering if they put too strong springs in the gen 4's to cut back on the number of unique parts they have to keep in stock. They put the same springs in the 36, 30 and 29 and there is a big difference in the power and slide weight on these guns. People have complained about Glock being too lightly sprung for a while now. Maybe they are thinking the stronger springs will help reduce the out of battery firing and Kabooms. Comparing the gen 3 and 4 G27 side by side, the gen 4 seems to have different chamber designs looking much like my storm lake barrel in my 45. Anyway I got a pretty good deal on this one and it seems like it was barely shot.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links