GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue. - Page 7

GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

This is a discussion on GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glock would make it simpler for everyone who owns a glock by just putting up manufacter dates? I a happy glock owner but I was ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar

Glock Spring

Glock would make it simpler for everyone who owns a glock by just putting up manufacter dates? I a happy glock owner but I was fortunate to have other options as I like revolvers too.
    Last edited by Stetson; January 7th, 2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: sp

I have a G19 Gen4, 402 rnds, not one issue....FWIW.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

G17 4th gen Wow sorry to hear your having prob I feel lucky so far nothing out of the ordinary knock on wood

never had any issues with my 17 4th gen, but called them anyhow. They were great to deal with said probs were 1 gun in a couple of thousand had some prob took my serial number and said just to be safe sending me new spring had it in 4 days. Put 400 rds through it just like before no prob no noticeable difference in new spring sent the old one back in envelope they sent. Great customer service

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Not to beat on Glock but this has been a issue with some model Glocks since the Gen 4 hit the street, about two years ago, and in my opinion should have been corrected two years ago. Can you imagine the bad press had it been another manufacturer and they failed to resolve the problem for two years and the present fix is still questionable. Someone suggested that Glock provide the serial numbers of the weapons in question, why have they not? Either they don't know and the problem could be/is wider spread or legal ramifications of doing so. Sure glad the Springfield XD series has not had a reliability problem such as this.
    Cheesewiz and Operation35 like this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Gen 4

Was thinking about replacing my old .40 with a Gen 4, but I understand my supply of high cap mags will not function in the Gen 4! I would like the rail for a laser as my old eyes don't work as well as they used to. Any thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbdc View Post
    Was thinking about replacing my old .40 with a Gen 4, but I understand my supply of high cap mags will not function in the Gen 4! I would like the rail for a laser as my old eyes don't work as well as they used to. Any thoughts??
    If you don't reverse the mag release, your mags will be fine in a gen 4.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Springhill Suites, Marriott and Hilton hotels
    They will work perfectly if you use the Gen4 gun in stock right handed config. If you reverse the mag release for left handed then you will need to use Gen4 mags.

I don't have issues out of my glock 19 gen 4
    do not morne death but celebrate life

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    I have a G19 Gen4, 402 rnds, not one issue....FWIW.
    I'm looking at a Gen4 G19 right now and I'm really interested in it but have heard that cheap ammo (such as some FMJ target ammo) won't eject. After 402 rounds I'm sure that you've tried some different stuff. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of ammo do you use for target shooting and for SD?

I know this thread's been quite lately but does anyone know if any of thes issues are affecting the Gen 4 Glock 20? Most of the information I have been able to find was about 9mm Gen 4s.

My Glock 19 Gen 4 has been flawless through about 1100 rounds. I'm really wondering how much of this "Gen 4" bashing is warranted and how much of it is gossip?

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    My Glock 19 Gen 4 has been flawless through about 1100 rounds. I'm really wondering how much of this "Gen 4" bashing is warranted and how much of it is gossip?
    Do remember that this thread is two years old.

How long have you had your Gen4?

The problems have pretty much been resolved, well as far as the RSA is concerned...

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

I have seen numerous gen 4's, including one of mine, dribble brass and also deflect brass towards the face. While I've never found that to be all that terrible, it's indicative of poor extraction and possibly will lead to failures.

Nobody ever said that every single gen 4 is bad. But when Glock changed the RSA and ejector angle, things started to go wrong depending on the gun. It's not myth and it's not overblown.

Gen 3's also started to exhibit these issues after the ejector change.

The other day I went and bought a gen 3 and gen 4 19. Both are running fine at this point. I bought the gen 4 just to test. It's doing nothing better than the gen 3 19. Both are boringly reliable at this point.

I traded my carry/work gen 4 17 for a gen 3 17 because of extraction issues starting to show after a rough estimate of 4 thousand rounds. So, while 1,100 with no issues is a good thing, it's always possible they may show up at any point.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I'm really wondering how much of this "Gen 4" bashing is warranted and how much of it is gossip?
    When the local PD/CD armorer tells you offhandedly not to buy a Glock Gen 4 then chances are that his input will sway future LE purchases. I suspect that Glock will lose a lot of re-endorsements from LE departments all over America; they'll go S&W, SIG, etc., instead. And if the .40 is falling out of favour with those same departments, and if the G19 G4 is having the majority of G4 problems, then LE will see it as all the more reason not to buy new Glocks.

If someone who worked inside Kimber told you that the 9mm Solo should not be bought because it is the most unreliable Kimber in their catalogue, would you still go ahead and buy one?

More realistically, if someone told you that you will need to spend another $300 to get that Gen 4 reliable, that it will need a new billet extractor block, a solid steel extractor, new trigger assembly and a solid steel one piece coil spring guide rod (or Titanium), would you buy it?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links