Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GLOCK Addressing the Gen 4 Spring Issue.

58K views 113 replies 67 participants last post by  JD 
#1 ·
From Pistol-Training.com, great news indeed.

"If you’ve been following the tale of gen4 Glocks, you know that in just over a year the company has tried a variety of different recoil spring assembly (RSA) variants trying to alleviate various problems users have experienced. Adding to the trouble has been the need for different RSAs for guns with and without a properly counterbored spring box (aka, “nose ring”).

Finally, they’ve got it all figured out and Glock is announcing a free “exchange program” for any gen4 Glock owner. There is now just one RSA per model, regardless of whether the slide was counterbored for the RSA or not. As someone who owns two non-counterbored Glocks, I can tell you that is good news because finding the non-counterbored-only spring (0-2-1) is almost impossible.

All you need to do is contact Glock at 1-877-745-8523 with your serial number and model number. They will send you a replacement spring and a pre-addressed envelope to return the old one. For details, you can visit TeamGlock.com.

Tip of the hat to pistol-forum.com member hvd229 for initially posting the info!"

#3 ·
They changed to a dual spring setup to counter issues experienced by glock 22 users with WMLs. While this changes solved issues in the .40 guns, it cause new problems in 9mms. The grip changes were a reaction to other designs offering more options for grip size. I still don't know why they changed the extractor design, as it seems to be at the heart of a lot of issues.

#5 ·
All I can say is that they better be right. I would hate to be Glock right now. Their engineers are going to be the scape goat just like their suppliers are now if the new springs don't work. I called them today and they are sending a new one out. I asked if it would fix the piss poor extractions as well and they said yes, we shall see. Mine has been pretty reliable, but will shoot brass all over the place!

#7 ·
My guy at work( a certified Glock armorer) ordered the springs today and said we have a 2 to 4 week wait. Hopefully we aren't fixing a problem that doesn't exist. I haven't had any real problems with my gen 4 Model 17.

#15 ·
I called weeks ago and have not received my new spring yet. Regretfully I took a chance on and old friend and realized my current friend was better. It's a sad day for me, but I have to admit to myself that I will not purchase a new Glock again for two reasons.

1. They don't make them like they used to.
2. Glock is not stepping up and recalling this POS they made. I would be pleasantly surprised if the recoil spring solves all the problems. I have been on Glock Talk and people are now more confused saying it could be an out of spec extractor and or ejector a long with the recoil spring.

#17 ·
So it has been around a month since my second call to Glock about my recoil spring, and I decided to call back and see if they had any shipping status. They acted as if there was nothing in their computer system even though I have been through the whole process two times before this call. I received the classic customer service response of sorry we will enter your information again and there has been a delay in serving Law Enforcement first.

Thank god I never needed Glock customer service in the past, then I would have known how piss poor they are. They come across as helpful and nice, but they don't do what they say they are going to do. This is just the complete opposite of what I have experienced from S&W. They have sent me parts on my mistakes of things I have lost as no charge and did on the first call to boot!

#21 ·
***UPDATE***

So I got my new recalled recoil spring from Glock and decided to try it out. Guess what? Now instead of getting a stove pipe ever 3 mags like the last spring, I now get one every single mag! I am so pissed at Glock right now, as I have tried to give them a fair shake to make it right and all I have seen is the same problem. I honestly don't think I will ever have confidence in this firearm no matter what. What is this world coming to when Glock is putting out unreliable pistols and the Bills and Niners are at the top of the NFL!

#22 ·
***UPDATE Part 2***

I have spoken with Glock and they want me to send the gun back. They said they will take care of it. I will follow up with my experience and let you guys know what happens. So far I was impressed by the attitude to make it right.

#23 ·
Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. I hope they get it fixed for you.

I just bought a Gen 4 Glock 22 on Sept. 24th. Using the original RSA, I've fired 200 rounds of Winchester 180 gr. bonded hollow point on Oct. 1st, and 200 rounds of Federal 180 gr. FMJ on Oct. 8th. I haven't had any FTF's or FTE's. I'm curious what impact the new RSA will have.

I called Monday, Sept. 26th, to request my new RSA. I was told two weeks. I guess I should give them a call to follow up on it.*

* Glock confirmed that the new RSA was sent out on Oct. 6th, so I should be seeing it anytime. I'll let you know what if any changes it makes.

#24 ·
I ordered the new one on September 23, and received it today. I ran three mags through the pistol, and it performed flawlessly, just like before.

#30 ·
Had my Gen4 Glock 19 a year, when speaking to Glock GA, they gave me the limp wristing/powder puff ammunition story, I purchased the wee grommet from a buddy, he bought two from Glock Mister?

Installed with gen 3 Main spring, perfect. Then went through the try this RSA then this one, etc. Now have the latest RSA, came in 3 weeks after phone call, nice plesant young lady took info. even spelled my surname correctly!

Installed spring, perfect! Ran the reloads I buy, the most accurate Glock to date, use it as my IDPA Pistol.

My Wife, all 120lbs and 5 ft 3 inch Wife, can jack the slide, could not on any of the previouse trys/springs.

So it is fixed, Chris Edwards, when asked about the ejector replacement "Does it work OK?" YES, "Dont worry about it"

#31 ·
The new RSA came in on Thursday and I took it out to the range today. Put another 250 rounds of Federal 180 gr. FMJ through it without a hiccup. The only things I noticed between the old RSA and the new RSA were that the gun seemed to be a little easier to rack and my ejections "seemed" to travel in a more consistent pattern. I have no empirical evidence for that last part, but that's how it appeared.

Let me know what happens with your G19, C Hawk.

#33 ·
Update #3

So I just received my Gen 4 G17 back from Glock today with a report saying that there is nothing wrong with the firearm, and it meets current Glock spec. This is the biggest pile of horse crap I have ever seen, unless the spec is having consistent stove pipes and throwing brass at your forehead. It's a sad day at my household as I will never purchase another Glock again in the foreseeable future. I will hold onto my old ones and move on. All of you guys who are still drinking the old Koolaid better wise up, this is not your old Gaston's Glock Corporation. The beautiful thing that was Glock is gone in favor of money and cost cutting measures.

I really wanted to like the Gen 4 and gave it a chance over getting another M&P. I am just severally disappointed and almost heartbroken with Glock.

#36 ·
I genuinely hate to hear all that. I have a Gen4 19 which I have been absolutely pleased with, but stories like yours prompted me to make my most recent Glock a 3rd generation model.

#34 ·
C Hawk Glock said:
Update #3

So I just received my Gen 4 G17 back from Glock today with a report saying that there is nothing wrong with the firearm, and it meets current Glock spec. This is the biggest pile of horse crap I have ever seen, unless the spec is having consistent stove pipes and throwing brass at your forehead. It's a sad day at my household as I will never purchase another Glock again in the foreseeable future. I will hold onto my old ones and move on. All of you guys who are still drinking the old Koolaid better wise up, this is not your old Gaston's Glock Corporation. The beautiful thing that was Glock is gone in favor of money and cost cutting measures.

I really wanted to like the Gen 4 and gave it a chance over getting another M&P. I am just severally disappointed and almost heartbroken with Glock.
Oh boy! That is a disappointment. I wish I could think of something encouraging to say, but there's not much hope left.

I just can't believe Glock has done this. How could they not know of these problems before they started selling them?

From what I've read, the gen 4 issues seem to be hit or miss. Of course it may be that the problems are just going to surface later.

I was right on the edge of buying a G17 gen 4 but no more - it's just too big of a risk.

C Hawk,
You mentioned possibly an H&K in your future - which one did you have in mind and what are you going to do about the awful-est DA trigger ever produced? Maybe if we both buy one we can get a quantity/group discount. :tongue:

#37 ·
Tangle,

I will probably purchase an HK P30 and go with a LEM variation. So far I have been loving this new Sig Elite though. The Short Reset Trigger is superb, it's one of the best out of the box triggers I have used. I was timing my shots today and they are very fast when shooting multiple shot strings. I am shooting about 6 rounds per second while still hitting my target zones.

#35 · (Edited)
I have a 3rd generation G21 and G19. They are awesome.

There's no way in hell I'd buy a 4th gen, though.

Glock has to be one of the most tone-deaf companies ever. Customers friggin' BEG for things like single-stack 9mm guns, carbines, etc., and instead, Glock gives us stuff like the GAP and the 4th generation debacle. An answer to a question that nobody asked, and the breaking of something that didn't need fixing. :aargh4:

#39 ·
C Hawk Glock said:
Tangle,

I will probably purchase an HK P30 and go with a LEM variation. So far I have been loving this new Sig Elite though. The Short Reset Trigger is superb, it's one of the best out of the box triggers I have used. I was timing my shots today and they are very fast when shooting multiple shot strings. I am shooting about 6 rounds per second while still hitting my target zones.
I like the P30 - don't much care for the LEM trigger, but I can see how someone would like it.

Interesting you are liking the Sig; that's what I've been carrying this week - the P229R E2 SRT.

That's some very fast shooting! I'm sure once one gets acclimated to and can properly use the SRT, shot 'bursts' are going to get fast!

I have some Mecgar 20 round mags for my P226R and just last night installed an SRT kit in it. The 20 rounders have a mag extension so they aren't flush fit, but Mecgar puts a nice sleeve on the mag and it really looks good. And they also make an 18 round flush fit mag for the P226.

Mags for the P229 series has gotten interesting. The standard classic P229 has a 13 round mag. Mecgar makes a 15 round flush fit for that P229 and an extended 17 round mag for the 229, again not flush fit, but it looks good. IOW it's more than just a long mag - it looks good too.

Now that Sig has started building 9mm P229s on the .40 cal P229 frame, the new guns come with an 'offset' mag like the .40 cal. That puts two more rounds of 9mm in the mag. The older style P229 mags will work in the newer frame style, but I wouldn't do that for a true SD gun, but the newer mags are too wide to work in the older style frame. Here's what's interesting:

One can get a 15 and 17 round mag for the old style frame but one wouldn't want to use them in the newer frame, at least not for SD purposes. So now there's more selection of mags for the older style than the newer style. It will be interesting to see if Mecgar makes a 16 & 18 round mag for the newer style frame. I wouldn't think they could get much more than that.

But wow, I've really drifted here, so back to the regularly scheduled program...

#44 ·
C Hawk Glock said:
I have the 18 round flush fitting mags and they work great. That is a ton of bullets in a small package! How do you like the SRT? I really like it and I am getting pretty fast on shooting multiple round strings with it.
I haven't really tried out the SRT 'at speed' yet; for some odd reason, my P229R E2 shoots low and I've been working with that.

#45 ·
My GEN4 G19 came with an "04" RSA. I never had a problem out of it. However, I called Glock when I found about the RSA exchange program. My G19 was on the list.

I received my replacement RSA within a week, took the gun to the range, and it performed flawlessly. I then sent the old RSA to Glock and I continue to be a satisfied Glock customer. I carry the G36 as my EDC. The G19 was the only GEN4 Glock that I have.

It took me quite a few years to warm up to the Glock, but now I have come to appreciate them, as I do my XD45, 92FS, SP101, GP-100s, 1911s, yada, yada, yada.

#46 ·
Honestly good for you, I am glad someone else is liking the Gen 4. I will keep my oldie but goodies at this point. I have too many other firearms that can fill the role nicely. My theory is that G17's seem to have more issues then the G19's though.

#47 ·
All of the new Gen 4 Pistols as of July forward are good to go ! The spring issue was solved and is no longer a concern.
quite a few people came to the range with Gen 4 G-17's & 19's and had no problems with standard pressure range ammo.
Ammo used was American eagle, PMC, Blazer, and Lawman. When they first built the Gen 4 17 they made it with law enforcement loads in mind,
+P and +P+ mainly. An oversight for Glock forgetting civilians ! It has been resolved and Glock did/does stand behind their exchange program, even giving folks two new springs for the old one ! The New Gen 4 G-21 is damn nice ! I think im going to pick one up today ! The grip angle is a bit more relaxed on the Gen 4 21. It doesn't have that intense slope at the bottom of the grip like the previous models. Once you hold it, your gonna want one !!

#50 ·
+P and +P+ mainly. An oversight for Glock forgetting civilians ! It has been resolved and Glock did/does stand behind their exchange program, even giving folks two new springs for the old one ! The New Gen 4 G-21 is damn nice ! I think im going to pick one up today ! The grip angle is a bit more relaxed on the Gen 4 21. It doesn't have that intense slope at the bottom of the grip like the previous models. Once you hold it, your gonna want one !!
also did not think of target pinking.. who uses +P+ for pinking.. I'll just keep my 3rd Gen Glock 17 and 26 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.