Speer 147gr 9mm Gold Dot Ammo - Performance

This is a discussion on Speer 147gr 9mm Gold Dot Ammo - Performance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Speer 147gr 9mm Gold Dot Ammo - Performance

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

wmhawth likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Nice review.

My only quibble would be your comments about the shelf life of your carry ammo. Ammo lasts a very long time. Also, the concern about oil or solvents killing the primer seems to be overblown - the folks at "theboxotruth" did some testing on this, and there did not seem to be an issue. However, I use grease (TW-25B) to lube my carry guns, so it tends to stay put anyway.

I will agree that, if you chamber and un-chamber your rounds repeatedly, you should line your rounds up to be sure there is no set back.

Nice video, thanks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Nice review.

My only quibble would be your comments about the shelf life of your carry ammo. Ammo lasts a very long time. Also, the concern about oil or solvents killing the primer seems to be overblown - the folks at "theboxotruth" did some testing on this, and there did not seem to be an issue. However, I use grease (TW-25B) to lube my carry guns, so it tends to stay put anyway.

I will agree that, if you chamber and un-chamber your rounds repeatedly, you should line your rounds up to be sure there is no set back.

Nice video, thanks.
    My comments aren't centered around shelf life as much as it is you should cycle your ammo through your gun. I don't leave my carry firearms loaded all the time, I unload it each night or when I need to make it safe, then reload it. As such, I'm causing setback of the round in the case. Many Glock KB's can be traced back to something as simple as severe setback in the .40 cal for example. It's also good to get folks shooting their carry ammo vs. rarely firing their defensive arm.

I also mention that oil penetration isn't a common problem, but if you over lube and let it sit for a year or more on ammo you never fire, it can become a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post

I also mention that oil penetration isn't a common problem, but if you over lube and let it sit for a year or more on ammo you never fire, it can become a concern.
    With all due respect, there's nothing to support this contention. Even lead bullets with filled grease grooves inside the case mouth have no effect upon the powder/primers. I have such ammo in several calibers that was loaded 25+ years ago that shoot just fine, and I am far from alone.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Interesting...the only time I unload my carry guns are when I go to clean them, which is monthly or after they get fired, whichever comes first. Otherwise, they are always loaded. I do this specifically to avoid the set-back issue - and simply because there is no reason to unload them. They go in a safe, and are therefore "safe." Plus, I figure the less you mess with them, the less the risk of a ND. Just the way I do it.

oneshot and remington79 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

My comments aren't centered around shelf life as much as it is you should cycle your ammo through your gun. I don't leave my carry firearms loaded all the time, I unload it each night or when I need to make it safe, then reload it. As such, I'm causing setback of the round in the case. Many Glock KB's can be traced back to something as simple as severe setback in the .40 cal for example. It's also good to get folks shooting their carry ammo vs. rarely firing their defensive arm.

with all due respect I think you are all wet with this, the less you mess with the mags and ammo the better it will work and it won't wear out. I've used loaded mags that sat in a safe loaded for over 10 years with no issue. the more you stress the spring by loading unloading and then reloading is where you'll create problems. an unloaded gun is about as useful as a rock, mine are always loaded and chambered.
    remington79 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    with all due respect I think you are all wet with this, the less you mess with the mags and ammo the better it will work and it won't wear out. I've used loaded mags that sat in a safe loaded for over 10 years with no issue. the more you stress the spring by loading unloading and then reloading is where you'll create problems. an unloaded gun is about as useful as a rock, mine are always loaded and chambered.
    Do you shoot your guns? If so, you're working the springs and causing wear. If you only own guns to leave them loaded indefinitely, then sure - you're saving on the cost of springs. I choose to use my firearms and practice with them, and as such I'm constantly loading and unloading the mags.

If you hand a weapon to someone, it's considered to be a good idea to unload it first. If you clean a weapon, it's generally a good idea to unload it first. If you put a weapon in a safe, it's generally a good idea to unload it first.

Perhaps you live alone, have few friends over and find it comforting to have every gun in the house loaded. I have children, a wife, and a constant cycle of friends and family coming and going. As such, I have one loaded weapon in the house, the one that's on me. When I take that weapon off, it's unloaded and stored safely.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Interesting...the only time I unload my carry guns are when I go to clean them, which is monthly or after they get fired, whichever comes first. Otherwise, they are always loaded. I do this specifically to avoid the set-back issue - and simply because there is no reason to unload them. They go in a safe, and are therefore "safe." Plus, I figure the less you mess with them, the less the risk of a ND. Just the way I do it.

When I was single and lived alone, I had a loaded firearm always somewhere in the house. It wasn't a safe practice, but I did it. I also have upwards of 120 guns in my collection. Leaving them all loaded probably isn't a good idea. I don't want to leave some loaded in the safe and others unloaded. For the sake of simplicity I have a rule, if I'm carrying it - it's loaded. If I'm storing it, cleaning, transporting it in a range bag, giving it to someone else, etc. it's unloaded.

I also fire my carry ammo regularly so I constantly have relatively fresh ammo in my carry gun. I don't leave the same ammo in my carry gun for months or years. I'm constantly practicing, so I might as well fire off the old and replace it with new.

eb
    I have a couple of safes. My carry guns go into a small one lashed to my closet shelf that is always locked. I leave them loaded because frankly I don't really want to screw around with constantly loading and unloading them, and they are always either on my person or locked in a safe that nobody has the code to. I clean the carry guns about once a month, and the top round that was racked into the gun gets moved to the "shoot this next time at the range" ammo pile (assuming it looks fine) and I top it off with a fresh one. I also change mags at this time. When the box of 20-25 defensive rounds is gone using this tactic, I shoot out the rest of it during the next range visit, and buy a new box. This means I have a box of defensive ammo for about a year total. I go to the range almost weekly, but I shoot the defensive stuff sparingly once I determine it works in the gun in question. At $20-28 / box, I simply can't afford to practice with it all the time with as much as I shoot. As it is, I burn about $250/month on target quality ammo alone... I'd love to be able to practice all the time with the defensive loads, but its just not realistic, and I haven't won the lottery yet.
    10thmtn likes this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I also have upwards of 120 guns in my collection. Leaving them all loaded probably isn't a good idea. I don't want to leave some loaded in the safe and others unloaded. For the sake of simplicity I have a rule, if I'm carrying it - it's loaded. If I'm storing it, cleaning, transporting it in a range bag, giving it to someone else, etc. it's unloaded.

I also fire my carry ammo regularly so I constantly have relatively fresh ammo in my carry gun. I don't leave the same ammo in my carry gun for months or years. I'm constantly practicing, so I might as well fire off the old and replace it with new.
    Makes sense to me essay. I can't speak to the issue of bullet setback or oil hurting a primer, but hey you can never be to safe. I enjoy our videos, keep em up.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

1) all of my working guns stay loaded. Springs are cheap.

2) the grease grooves on bullets are not used with petroleum based lubes, but rather a wax mix.

3) bullet set back- a simple set of dial calipers allows you to monitor this.

I have duty mags that have been in service since 2000. I keep them loaded minus 1 round.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    1) all of my working guns stay loaded. Springs are cheap.
    Leaving them loaded is actually easier on them than loading and unloading them. What people sometimes forget is that firing the rounds out of the mag is working the spring as you're loading and unloading it several times during a a range trip. It's this action that causes wear in springs, but modern springs last a very long time even with regular use.

I use all of my mags in practice for any particular handgun. Some folks have mags they rarely or in some cases never use. I've been shooting long enough to know that all mags aren't created equal. To make sure I have working mags, I use them - regularly.

3) bullet set back- a simple set of dial calipers allows you to monitor this.
    It's a good idea to monitor setback if you never fire your defensive rounds. I opt to keep cycling fresh ammo into my carry gun. I do this for peace of mind and it negates the need to measure the OAL of my defensive rounds at regular intervals.

I have duty mags that have been in service since 2000. I keep them loaded minus 1 round.
    I have mags that have been heavily used for even longer than that, I still have 1st gen Glock mags that work fine. However, those old mags aren't in my carry rotation, I keep the newer mags in my carry gun(s). Since I have the sickness of wanting a new Glock at least twice a year, I have a steady influx of new mags on hand. Why buy mags when new guns come with two? Buy new guns! :)

I would love to do this. Unfortunately, SD ammo is a good bit more expensive than FMJ. I make it a habit of shooting and replacing my SD ammo about 3 times a year. That is in my off-duty weapons. My duty weapon gets the SD ammo shot off twice a year as per the dept.

If I have to unload a round more than twice, I put it 4 or 5 down in the mag so that a fresh one is in the pipe.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

sgb
    My firearms that see every day use stay loaded 24/7 in or out of the safe, I use range mags for the range and carry mags for carry. Any round observed suffering from bullet setback gets tossed and the 147gr Gold Dot is a good choice.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I wanted to clarify what setback is for those who might not know what we're talking about.

Below are two rounds. One is noticeably shorter than the other. That's because it's the first round in my magazine and it has been chambered several times over the last few weeks. Yes, this round is only a couple of weeks old.

The reason it's shorter is due to the setback (bullet being pushed into the case) caused by the act of chambering the round. Each time you chamber the same round, the more the bullet gets pushed back into the case. This is something many people don't think about.

Why is this a problem? Because as the bullet gets pushed further back into the case it increases the pressure generated by the round when it's fired. If the bullet is pushed back far enough, it can cause an unsafe pressure build-up which results in things like the infamous Glock "ka-boom".
    zonker1986 and Philly Boy like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links