I finally found it.

This is a discussion on I finally found it. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For a while now I've been looking for an uber concealable carry (UCC) 9mm. I already have two LCP's (well, one now) and an SP101. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I finally found it.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

I finally found it.

For a while now I've been looking for an uber concealable carry (UCC) 9mm. I already have two LCP's (well, one now) and an SP101. The sp101 is great as a trail gun and a nightstand gun, but it's just too heavy for EDC. The lcp is easy to carry, simple, and reliable, but it is just lacking a certain....factor. So, long story short, I decided I needed a good EDC 9mm, not to mention it's cheaper to shoot.

What I was looking for was something that was as small as possible, as simple as possible, as reliable as possible, and yes, decently priced. Many guns fit 3 out 4. The DB9 for example fits all three except extreme reliability (for now IMO). The LC9 is good except for simplicity. The Rohrbaugh R9 is a great gun, except it's 1200 bucks. The PM9 is almost exactly what I want, except it's pricey as well. There are other guns out there, I know, but you begin to see my problem. Finally though, at a LGS that I don't normally frequent, I happened upon a Kahr. I thought to myself, darn, if only I could afford this PM9. Except low and behold it wasn't a PM9, it was a CM9! When I asked the owner what the difference was he told me the barrel was traditional rifling instead of polygonal, the slide isn't as nicely finished, and you only get one mag. To be honest I didn't even know what polygonal rifling was.

So I went home, grabbed my older LCP, brought it to him and traded the LCP towards the CM9, and brought it home. Winning.

IMG_0680.jpgIMG_0681.jpgIMG_0682.jpg

The above pics attempt to illustrate how similar the CM9 and the LCP are in size.

I went out this evening and fired off 125 rounds, and had one jam, shooting WWB. I don't find the gun to be too snappy, and the overall feel is good. I am very ignorant off what a "good" trigger pull is, but I must say, compared to the LCP and the SP101 the trigger on this Kahr is wonderful. Accuracy was fine, not a huge concern at this moment. So for right now all is well and this new gun seems like a nice little pick up.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The CMp and CW9 have proven to be a very popular CCW. A real hit in the Kahr line. Check out CDNN's prices for extra mags. Enjoy your new pistol.
    Last edited by ripley16; September 7th, 2011 at 09:41 AM.

Now I'm kicking myself in the backside. I had a chance to pick a CM9 up the other day and passed it was a good used one. I had no idea it was that close in size to an LCP. It sure felt better in my hand than the LCP. The one thing I like about the LCP is that it is great for pocket carry and it looks like the CM9 would be just as good with a little more punch. You gotta love that.
    Looks like you've found a winner. ENJOY
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

VIP Member
    I have the CW40, quite similar and a joy to shoot. Just my opinion but the Kahrs have the best DAO trigger of any I have tried.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I have 2 Kahr's in the stable. My wife's CW9 and my CW45. Both have been completely reliable. Good pick up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I had bought a cw 45, used, and found it to be unreliable. It has a great trigger but I need a gun I can trust and the Kahr just did not give that to me. It was an older model and Kahr wanted enough to fix the problem that it just wasn't a smart move to keep. I ended up with a LC9 as I liked the real sights and I have grown accustomed to the long hammer pull trigger as I had a LCP and now a S&W Bodyguard. The Kahr trigger was hard to leave behind, I may look at the brand again in the future. Good luck with yours and I wish you good luck with a great gun.
    Best, Frank.

GM
    Congrats on the CM9! Kahr makes good firearms.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Thanks for the info.
    I Have the Keltec PF9 but don't like the trigger.
    I have also been looking for a small 9mm such as the CM9, but I have a P40 and it has magazine issues.
    I am waiting to see how Kahr customer service handles them before i invest in another Kahr.

have owned the LCP since they came out, but have never carried it. With 9mm's the size of the PF-9 or CM9, you get twice the power in an only marginally larger weapon.
    Plus shooting the LCP is just not any fun at all......

Thunder71 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

It's a lot heavier, I find carrying my PM9 in my pocket a lot more noticeable than the LCP I sold. But for me the tradeoff is worth it, especially since it is virtually gone when used with my Smart Carry or Garrett Industries Silent Thunder.

The CM9 is a great choice and had it been out, I would have bought that over the PM9. Be sure to run it a little wet during break-in and grease the inside upper part of the slide between the muzzle and barrel hood, There's an excellent lube chart here and it's lube point 6.

VIP Member
    Hi,

I just picked one up with a Crimson Trace last week. I love this little firearm. It has been 100% reliable as long as you use the slide stop (says in the manual and it's true). I honestly can't believe how accurate the CM9 is. I was nailing targets the whole time.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

great info , i do like the 45 kahr have the cw45?

It so happens I have a PM9 in my right pocket, and a LCP in my left pocket as I type this.

While the PM9/CM9 appear only slightly larger than the LCP, the size difference gets magnified by a pocket holster. The net result is that the LCP disappears in your pocket, while the PM9/CM9 can poof the pocket out enough that someone behind you can see it inside your pocket. You can decide if that is a concern for you.

The other difference is weight - at 20 oz loaded, the PM9/CM9 is more noticeable than the 12 oz (loaded) LCP. The best way I can describe it is that the LCP feels like a wallet, while the PM9/CM9 feels like a book in your pocket. I forget I have the LCP with me - not the PM9.

If you carry around your waist, then the size and weight difference is likely going to be negligible. If you are buying these guns to pocket carry, however, I would caution that the PM9/CM9 "barely" qualifies.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    It so happens I have a PM9 in my right pocket, and a LCP in my left pocket as I type this.

While the PM9/CM9 appear only slightly larger than the LCP, the size difference gets magnified by a pocket holster. The net result is that the LCP disappears in your pocket, while the PM9/CM9 can poof the pocket out enough that someone behind you can see it inside your pocket. You can decide if that is a concern for you.

The other difference is weight - at 20 oz loaded, the PM9/CM9 is more noticeable than the 12 oz (loaded) LCP. The best way I can describe it is that the LCP feels like a wallet, while the PM9/CM9 feels like a book in your pocket. I forget I have the LCP with me - not the PM9.

If you carry around your waist, then the size and weight difference is likely going to be negligible. If you are buying these guns to pocket carry, however, I would caution that the PM9/CM9 "barely" qualifies.
    I will take the little extra weight and size for it not being a .380. I have it in my cargo shorts right now. What to check? LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links