Probably been asked 100 times, but I'm new and don't know how to search the forums...

This is a discussion on Probably been asked 100 times, but I'm new and don't know how to search the forums... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to buy a bodyguard 380. Saw one today, they are SWEET! But I've heard the 380 round maligned for lack of power. Does ...

Thread: Probably been asked 100 times, but I'm new and don't know how to search the forums...

Probably been asked 100 times, but I'm new and don't know how to search the forums...

I want to buy a bodyguard 380. Saw one today, they are SWEET! But I've heard the 380 round maligned for lack of power. Does anyone have any experience using a 380?

Please let me know (or how to search!!!)

2. Remove Ads

You will find this thread turn into a claiber war very fast. There are folks that will defend the 380 till the bitter end & folks, like myself, that will never trust a 380 for self defense.

I have faith in FBI testing that led them to conclude that the 380 is not acceptable as a defensive caliber since it will not penetrate to their 12" minimum in ballistic testing.

Other folks will run to the argument that something is better than nothing.

Still others will scream that "Guns are bad... ummmmkay..."

Do your research, shoot a ton of weapons & decide for yourself since most of the data you will find on the internet can be slanted to fit the person who is posting it anyway...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

JD
    Administrator
    There's a number of threads on this, some of them recent, stand by and I will post them here within the next couple of hours.

JD
    Administrator
    .380..Does it measure up?

.380 Ammo Tested: Round Two + Velocities

Stopping Power

.380 Ammo Tested

Close-Up of .380 ACP 90 gr. GDHP Speer Gold Dot

.380 SD and Range Ammo Suggestions

anyone use Remington Express .380 JHP?

Buffalo Bore Hardcast .32 ACP and .380 ACP

Defensive rounds for .380 pistols

Remington golden saber .380?

Remington golden saber .380?

.380 +p

A question about the .380 round

FMJ round nose vs. FMJ flat nose.380 (question)

.380 ACP JHP Fired into animal fat/meat pics and results

bigger expansion or deeper penetration in .380?

alternating FMJ's/JHP's from a .380

Why carry a .380???

.380 for BUG

LCP .380 as a primary?

Can't Decide If I Should Get a .380

.380 poll question?

9mm vs .380 for EDC

is a .380 enough

What's The Attraction To The .380 ?

Now as far as the cartridge itself is concerned.

It is small, is is widely thought to be the bare minimum for a defense round (in semi-automatics), again...bare minimum. A lot of 9mms come close to the size of some of the .380s, but not all and the ones that rival the smaller .380s are not a pleasure to shoot. I own, and carry a .380 from time to time. It fills a niche when I need to be more worried about concealment or for use as back-up-gun.

The .380 has proven itself capable of killing attackers, however it my not the most proficient fight stopper. There are better calibers and there are worse calibers but overall the size/potency/shootability of a .380 is still hard to beat with an auto, some 9mm guns come close but sacrifice reliability or are cost prohibitive.

Links