1911 Upgrades worked

This is a discussion on 1911 Upgrades worked within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is about my American Classic Commander 1911 I have had for some months now. I have put 450 rounds through her now, with 1 ...

Thread: 1911 Upgrades worked

1911 Upgrades worked

This is about my American Classic Commander 1911 I have had for some months now. I have put 450 rounds through her now, with 1 FTF and 3 FTE (Stovepipes). Never with my carry ammo though which is a plus. In an effort to help with the issues I purchased a Wilson Combat Spring Kit for the gun including a 20# recoil spring, lighter mains spring (hammer spring), and heavier firing pin spring. The kit says it is "tuned" which is marketing hype but whatever.

Just put another 100 rounds through it this evening after installing the springs and I am happy to report no failures! And the by product of this procedure was a noticeable increase in accuracy (see pics) both targets were at 7 yards and the three holes across the bottom of the FBI targt were from a triple tap I tried (still learning muzzle contro). But this is about 1 to 1.5" tighter than any previous session. Figure each target had around 40 rounds on it.

Anyways, just thought I would share. For under $20, that spring kit was a GREAT addition to my budget 1911.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glad things worked out for you. Another 2 or 3 hundred trouble free rounds and you'll have a proven carry piece.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the review on the spring kit. I am actually looking at that kit for my RIA officer.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Looks like your going to be a happy camper. It always takes me 800 to 1000 rounds before I felt a 1911 was "broke in".

Yea, my M&P deal sort of just "happened". I just think I need to wait to get a "good" 1911 and those run $1500 or more. My $450 Phillipino experiment didn't go so well. I had fun, but in the end, it just wasn't reliable enough for EDC. Also, the M&P is made in America and will be 100% reliable. But I will go back to an Ed Brown Cobra Carry one day when I have $1500 I don't need laying around! Love 1911's, but for what I need it for, the M&P will serve me just fine.

Links