My new M&P 9C

My new M&P 9C

This is a discussion on My new M&P 9C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well if you find yourself scouring the boards you'll notice as early as yesterday I was touting my American Classic 1911 Commander. Today, another hundred ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My new M&P 9C

My new M&P 9C

Well if you find yourself scouring the boards you'll notice as early as yesterday I was touting my American Classic 1911 Commander. Today, another hundred rounds and even with the upgrades another 5 failures. FTF and FTE. I was also kinda tired of lugging it around as my EDC. SO I went and brought home what I KNOW to be a 100% reliable EDC. A new Smith and Wesson M&P9C.

There are plenty of reviews on it so I'll spare you all great detail. But here are my impressions.

Pros:

1. Size is perfect. Interchangable back straps and pinky extender mags make this a well rounded "small" gun.
    2. Nice to not be lugging around my 1911. The weight with 13 rounds of 9mm is more than manageable, even with my lightest of clothing. Not even a chance of printing with this one.
    3. Capacity. 13 is better than 8 (my 1911)).
    4. Thumb safety. No retraining so to speak. Same place and feel as my 1911 and I like the added "safety".
    5. Reliable. Any M&P is going to be a rock solid carry piece.
    6. 9mm ammo is about 50% cheaper than my .45. Now I can afford to shoot 200 rounds or more a month instead of 100. With shooting, more is always better.
    7. 3 dot night sights

Cons:

1. 9mm isn't my favorite cartridge and I feel kinda outgunned vs. my .45. But I figured .40sw would be too snappy for me right now as my recoil control could use some work

But, I am happy. I have a Galco King Tuck for it that I love and it is even more comfy than I remember.

Anyways, that is that. My new EDC is here.
    Attached Images

Couldn't agree with you more. I've been carrying my M&P9c for almost a year now, in various holsters (soon to be a RCS), and it is a great weapon for CC. I carry it in everything from a suit to shorts & a t-shirt without problem. And its been 100% reliable for me. Only recommendation I have for you would be the Apex Tactical DCAEK - makes the trigger much smoother, takes the pull weight from ~6.5lbs to ~5.25lbs, and the reset is shorter. Worth the $90 or so on MidwayUSA. PM me if you have any questions about it.

OpJ

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Congrats on the new M&P. I know I sure do like mine.
    Tip-if you'll call Smith & Wesson, they will send you another finger extension for your spare mag. no charge.
    "OperatorJ" is right about the trigger though, I sent mine to Burwell gunsmithing for one of his "world famous" trigger jobs. $65.00
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Congrats on the new M&P. I know I sure do like mine.
    Tip-if you'll call Smith & Wesson, they will send you another finger extension for your spare mag. no charge.
    "OperatorJ" is right about the trigger though, I sent mine to Burwell gunsmithing for one of his "world famous" trigger jobs. $65.00
    Forgot to mention that as well... even if you have to order them, they are $1.50-2.50/ea... had to get a few more for my 6 mag collection... haha.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GM
    Congrats on the M&P. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    Only recommendation I have for you would be the Apex Tactical DCAEK -
    I was pretty good at fitting parts on my 1911. Is this something that I can do myself?

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Corgrats on the M&P! Been giving those a hard look myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I was pretty good at fitting parts on my 1911. Is this something that I can do myself?
    Yes. Apex has good videos on youtube that show exactly what you need to do. I did the mod myself, and this was the first (and only to date) mod I've ever done on a handgun. Took me about an hour.

VIP Member
    I laugh because I have been singing the praises of the M&P line of pistols for quite some time. My daily carry has been an M&P9c, which has been superb over the last two years. They have pretty much become the go to pistol these days.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I have had a 9c for over two years, and absolutely love it.
    It does not go to work with me, as I leave my Kel tec P11 in my car there, but other than that, its part of me.
    I carry mine in a no name leather wide clip holster, and a De Santis cozy partner, which is a dream of a holster.

My brother also has a 9c, and his son has a FS .40 and they love their's as well.

Nephew wishes he would have gotten a .40 c . His has the safety, my brother and I do not.

It will not disappoint you.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

cj
    I've been loving mine, and it hasn't had a problem that wasn't ammunition-related (i.e. one under-powered round failed to remove the cartridge). I even went out and got an M&P45c after having it for a while.

By the way, don't forget that an X-grip on a full-size magazine gets you a 17 round reload!

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Tuning a 1911 can't be done by buying a spring kit.

It sounds to me like you need a new square bottom firing pin stop, an extra power hammer spring and a reduce power recoil spring. Maybe polish the feed ramp a bit. Finally you have to manually tune the extractor on a 1911 for optimal tension.

Congratulations on the MP 9c. It probably won't require any tuning at all.

Jim

M&P9c is on my wish-list of guns to have. Great ergonomics and quality. The Ruger SR9c is filling the role for me right now, but the M&P will join the lineup, for sure.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    Tuning a 1911 can't be done by buying a spring kit.

It sounds to me like you need a new square bottom firing pin stop, an extra power hammer spring and a reduce power recoil spring. Maybe polish the feed ramp a bit. Finally you have to manually tune the extractor on a 1911 for optimal tension.
    Yea. I had the feed ramp polished, the breach face polished and the extractor tuned. Still acted a little "sketchy". I just needed a gun that would run 1000 rounds or better with no failures (maybe one). My 1911 had issues EVERYTIME I took it to the range. And I couldn't see sinking $100's of dollars worth of gunsmithing to make a $400 gun run like a $1000 gun. I'd rather wait till I can afford the latter.

But I have owned S&W's before, never had issues. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    M&P9c is on my wish-list of guns to have. Great ergonomics and quality. The Ruger SR9c is filling the role for me right now, but the M&P will join the lineup, for sure.
    Well, if it helps, my LGS has a brand new never opened M&P 40c for $449. I have seen used one's under $400

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Nephew wishes he would have gotten a .40 c . His has the safety, my brother and I do not.
    Yea, I had it in my hands and the store owner offered me the 9c with night sights and a thumb safety so I took it. Plus, I am back to cheap ammo. And I don't know how well I'd do with the snappier .40 round with the small grip on this thing. But either way is a winner!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links