Mods to Glock backstrap?

This is a discussion on Mods to Glock backstrap? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone sanded down the "beavertail" on the backstrap of a Glock (Gen 3) to make it less "pointy?" Any danger to the mechanicals in ...

Thread: Mods to Glock backstrap?

Question Mods to Glock backstrap?

Has anyone sanded down the "beavertail" on the backstrap of a Glock (Gen 3) to make it less "pointy?" Any danger to the mechanicals in doing so?

Reason I ask is that I noticed something interesting this past weekend when carrying my Glock 19 in my Smartcarry for the first time in quite a while. My G19 (which has a CT Lasergrip) was more comfortable when sitting than either my smaller G26, or even my PM9! I think this is because the CT Lasergrip covers over the "point" of the beavertail at the back of the pistol, making it more rounded, and less irritating when I sit.

I'm thinking of sanding or filing down the point on the back of my G26, since the shorter grip prints less than my G19. If I can round it off and make it more tolerable, I'd go back to carrying it as my primary in my Smartcarry instead of my pocketed PM9 or LCP. My primary reason would be for the greater capacity.

And please, do not suggest a different holster. I've tried everything, and with my need for discretion, pocket carry and the Smartcarry are what work for me.

Feedback appreciated, thanks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    There is nothing back there mechanical wise, so there is no danger there. The only peice of advice I can give you is the obvious; remember that you can always take more material off, but you can't put it back on. Go slow...
    "Just blame Sixto"

LOL! Thanks. I have to see if I get up the nerve to do it.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

There really isn't much there to begin with. I guess it would depend on your grip. I take a very high grip on my Glocks. If the back of that receiver was any smaller, I think the slide would bite me. Maybe you should get a laser grip for the 26 too? If the finances allow that, ofcourse.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I have a Laserguard on it. Problem with the Lasergrip is that the laser housing sticks out of the right side of the frame quite a bit, and prints on the front of my pants when in my Smartcarry.

I'll have to think on this...
    CT Lasers

I have heard of heating the back strap over a candle and squeezing it to change it some. I don't think I'd sand some off. If I wanted to change it I'd send it off to Cold Bore Customs and have him do it. He has a great website and reputation. Good luck.
    Question Everything!

I think that, before I make permanent mods to the pistol, I'm going to try wearing my Smartcarry a bit lower on my hips. I tried it last night, and it seemed to work. I don't think I'll go back to using the Smartcarry every day though - but for those times when more firepower might be warranted, it's a good option to have.
    CT Lasers

Links