My Department going to the Sig 229 - question? - Page 3

My Department going to the Sig 229 - question?

This is a discussion on My Department going to the Sig 229 - question? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was not impressed with my 229. I thought the trigger was horrendous and the weight even moreso for the size of the weapon. As ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My Department going to the Sig 229 - question?

I was not impressed with my 229. I thought the trigger was horrendous and the weight even moreso for the size of the weapon. As a matter of fact, I felt it was overrated and I bought into the hype..... it has moved on out of my collection. it was a looker though.

IMG_1097 (Large).jpg

Congratulations! Good to see your department has some class. The P229 has an excellent trigger DA and SA. For a backup I'd carry a P239.
    ron8903 likes this.
    United States Air Force Security Forces Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran, now a college student.

I love all my Sig pistols and to me, my P230 is the sweetest shooter of the bunch.
    P239 the easiest to carry OWB.
    P226 what can I say carried her in my holster for 20+ years.
    P229 does everything the P226 can.
    P220 the most accurate of them all.
    P210 the most expensive.
    P228 still looking for one.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

An M&P 40C or 9C would make a great off duty pistol. Alas, SIG has yet make an adequate concealed carry pistol in a service caliber, so I would look to other manufacturers for an off duty weapon.
    Before anyone jumps up and throws in the 239....I don't consider a 30oz single stack 9mm to be an adequate concealed carry pistol....sorry.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Congrats to the OP. Let's not bash him for a weapon that he has been issued. I prefer to carry Glocks and I love their triggers. I also have a Sig 228 that I love. I need to adjust to the trigger a little, b/c it is different than my Glocks. But it is still a sweet shooter. It is a little lighter than the 229, but not by much. It is not bad to carry. It may not be as light as a Glock or M&P, but the right holster and belt can make it work.

He asked a specific question about an off-duty weapon and is getting abused for having a Sig? C'mon now.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Zonker

You know I am a big fan of Sigs, but I have to agree with your assessment. If you are trying to CC and need to tuck in your shirt, a sig is not the first weapon I would grab...

As for the 290... Not impressed... for the weight I would at least expect a double stack.
    I have a P6 - predecessor to the 239 and the same size. It is pretty easy to conceal, but a single stack 9mm is not going to be my first choice when the footprint for my M&Pc is VERY similar.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Zonker

You know I am a big fan of Sigs, but I have to agree with your assessment. If you are trying to CC and need to tuck in your shirt, a sig is not the first weapon I would grab...

As for the 290... Not impressed... for the weight I would at least expect a double stack.
    I have a P6 - predecessor to the 239 and the same size. It is pretty easy to conceal, but a single stack 9mm is not going to be my first choice when the footprint for my M&Pc is VERY similar.
    SIG fan? Bwwwahhhaahaaa. More like a SIG "Snob".....but that's ok.....you redeem yourself with the M&P. Bud's has a SIG Pro for cheap.......I am really fighting myself to not take the SIG plunge.
    Question? Does a $400 SIG Pro only qualify you to be 1/2 of a SIG Snob since it priced so low? I read some where that to qualify for total SIG Snob status, you have to spend at least $1,000
    on a single SIG handgun.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have the Sig Pro and its great. Bought it for 378 at Nelson Tactical! ( not affiliated with them ). I wish SIG did make a decent conceal gun better than the P239, i dont like the P290 nor the P250 Subc. My local PD and near my work, they use P226s and P229s. Hope to get a P229 soon
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

My P229 was $425 used. That was just before Obama became the worlds greatest gun salesman...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Look for a used one Zonker...
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    SIG fan? Bwwwahhhaahaaa. More like a SIG "Snob".....but that's ok.....you redeem yourself with the M&P. Bud's has a SIG Pro for cheap.......I am really fighting myself to not take the SIG plunge.
    Question? Does a $400 SIG Pro only qualify you to be 1/2 of a SIG Snob since it priced so low? I read some where that to qualify for total SIG Snob status, you have to spend at least $1,000
    on a single SIG handgun.
    Guess I don't qualify - I have four Sig handguns, all "classic" P series, one from the custom shop...but none cost more than $650. Well, to me, anyway.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    on a single SIG handgun.
    If you can't afford the "buy in", stay out of the game. I'm sure there's something plastic that will satisfy you.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Does the Sig 229 have a "little brother" like with the S&W full size M&P having the smaller M&P also?

Just trying to decide next purchase for my off duty carry.

Thanks...
    The logical answer is the SIG P239 in the same caliber. Not the most compact weapon of its caliber, but it has the same the same controls and calibers* as the P229 (and P220*/P225/P226/P228). My early example in .40S&W is of outstanding quality and a great shooter.

A more compact alternative is the P232 in .380ACP. It has some controls similar to the above, but is very large for its caliber.

SIG's P290 and P238 are relatively compact for their respective calibers, but have controls quite different from the P229.

(BTW, for a price, SIGARMS will improve the double action triggers on their already expensive guns.)

*except for .45ACP to match the P220

P239

I just purchased a p239 sig .40 recently and i Love it very easy to shoot smooth trigger pull and very accurate the only thing im not a
    huge fan of is that its a 7 round mag. do they make extended mags for this gun and if so where might I find them? also if they do have extended mags grip extenders would be necessary. can email me so i don't miss replied at jflanders86@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Does the Sig 229 have a "little brother" like with the S&W full size M&P having the smaller M&P also?

Just trying to decide next purchase for my off duty carry.

Thanks...
    Just curious as to the caliber ya'll are getting, and your agency affiliation; "normal" civilian LEO, federal agency, DOD Police, what? I ask because I'm seeing a bit of a shift in the military toward the .40, in other-than-main-line units. Now that the Coasties have had the .40 P229 "in the system" for a while, just wondering if others involved on the periphery of the military are following suit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links