My Department going to the Sig 229 - question?

This is a discussion on My Department going to the Sig 229 - question? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does the Sig 229 have a "little brother" like with the S&W full size M&P having the smaller M&P also? Just trying to decide next ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My Department going to the Sig 229 - question?

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Does the Sig 229 have a "little brother" like with the S&W full size M&P having the smaller M&P also?

Just trying to decide next purchase for my off duty carry.

Thanks...
    For God, Family and Country!

JD
    Administrator
    Not really. The 229 is the little brother to the 226....well there is the 239, but that's a single stack...

Sig's BUG

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    Does the Sig 229 have a "little brother" like with the S&W full size M&P having the smaller M&P also?

Just trying to decide next purchase for my off duty carry.

Thanks...
    Got some info on ur backup gun..... Sig Makes the P238 and a P290...... there both good bug's......small and compact check them out online at Sig Sauer......

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Armycop, Congratulations on being issued one of my favorite defensive firearms. While the Sig P229 doesn't have a sub-compact sibling in a model with a reduced grip/capacity/barrel length, Sig does make the P239 which is a single stack/thinner, slightly sized reduced firearm. I don't know what you look for in an off duty carry piece, but I've never likes sub-compact guns without a full grip/hold. The P239 will be easier to conceal IWB over the P229, but I will admit the single stack Sig is still big for what it is. That stated, it's an extremely reliable gun that is as accurate as any of the other weapons in the P series; some Sig fans claim it outshoots it's siblings. I think you'll like the Sig's, very well built and smooth to operate.

I have a P239 and like it a great deal. You might checkout the P250 in it's sub-compact clothes.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

My condolences.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

Of all the guns in my safe this one would be the very last one I would sell

Some people are just Sig haters and some say the quality has gone downhill in the past few years but I just don't see it. This gun has a VERY proven track record and is in use by a ton of agencies and departments.

My guess is you will be getting it in 9mm and carrying it will NATO ball ammo. Very soft shooting out of this platform.

This particular P229 of mine is in .40 S&W and below is a pic of it as it sits in my safe. Had to swap the wood shoes out for some G10s.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    As others have said, the nearest "little brother" is the P239. I have a P228 and a P239 SAS - the P239 does in fact conceal easier, though it is certainly bigger and heavier than other pistols in the "subcompact" sphere. That said, it is a spectacular shooter, and I love mine.
    SIXTO likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    As others have said, the nearest "little brother" is the P239. I have a P228 and a P239 SAS - the P239 does in fact conceal easier, though it is certainly bigger and heavier than other pistols in the "subcompact" sphere. That said, it is a spectacular shooter, and I love mine.
    I agree, my thoughts too.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I got a 229 in 40,been considering a 357 sig barrel lately,I have a lot of pistols to choose from,but if I'm not carrying my 1911 I'm carrying the 229
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

(When CONUS) My P229/.40 is my EDC...I've got 14K rounds through it...it's been to quite a few training courses in all kinds of weather, and trust my life to it. To me, it is my tackdriver--it has a smooth factory trigger (hey, I got this in 1997, NEW), and has never quit on me.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Don't know of anything wrong with Sig.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The beauty of the P229 is that is fairly compact. The P229 is one of several choices we have as duty pistols at my PD; all pistols on the approved list are double-stack .40s. If I didn't just outright LIKE revolvers better than autos, I would probably carry a P229 virtually all the time. The smallest revolver I normally carry off the clock, the Ruger SP101, is in the same size range as a P229, and I normally carry two of them, in the coastal Texas humidity and heat.

For that matter, from 1991-1993, I carried the same P220 on and off the clock; it was my 24/7 gun. The P220 is a big brother to the P229. From 1997-2002, I carried full-sized all-steel 1911 pistols on and off the clock. The P229 is nicely compact for 24/7 carry. One option is to opt for the SAS version, which is an acronym for SIG Anti-Snag. The corners of the slide will be rounded-off a bit, and there will be no accessory rail. I bought two of the now-so-called First Generation SAS P229 pistols, which have DAK trigger systems like the P229R DAK with which I started. The Second Generation SAS pistols have DA/SA SRT trigger systems.

I have handled a P239 a few times, but the trigger pull ends so close to my palm, I just don't like it, and the grip area is not really much narrower than the P229, anyway.

i know my SIG Pro isnt too far from size compared to the P229. its lighter imo compared to the P229, and it conceals well for me, and doesnt cost much, got it for 375 from Nelson Tactical for a 9mm 15 rd one. its double stack. if the French police has them for 20 years contract they must be doing something good
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    My condolences.
    Did someone die or are you upset that someone didn't drink the koolaid?

To the O.P. You've made it to the top.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links