Need help choosing a glock.

This is a discussion on Need help choosing a glock. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know nothing about Glocks and little about guns, admittedly most of which I have learned here. I want to buy a glock, i was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Need help choosing a glock.

I know nothing about Glocks and little about guns, admittedly most of which I have learned here. I want to buy a glock, i was talked into it by a local dealer when he explained their reliability and versatility. I was completely sold when the safety on my SR1911 got stuck? Probably due to poor maintenance but whatever.

I want to get the most versatility out of my new purchase as possible.

So I was thinking I would get a G31 or G33 and buy barrels to swap next. Question is, if I get the g33 is there a grip extension to make the grip full size? Anyone know? That would seem like the best option then I get a compact and fullsize glock in .357 .40 and 9mm, available in .45 too?

and while you're at it I've narrowed by home defense 12ga shotgun choices down to Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 Mariner, any suggestions? (Almost bought Mossberg 500 chainsaw today)

I want to thank everyone here for their hospitality and willingness to answer so many questions.

If you are looking for CC handgun in 45acp, I would recommend the Glock 36.

The single stack makes this glock thinner and it conceals very well.

True you only get 6+1 and with a spare mag you have 13 rounds of hard hitting 45acp.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

JD
    Administrator
    You can't convert a .357/.40 etc. to .45. the .45 had a larger breech face than the other calibers. You can convert the .45 to the 10mm /.40/.357 Sig though...

As for all that stuff in your post, yeah you can get that versatility...but do you really want to pay for three barrels and two flavors of magazines?

As you are new to shooting, I feel you may be biting off more than you can chew with that particular package.

Instead of trying to have a full/compact multi-caliber hydra of a gun, just get a Glock 19 and have the happy middle ground between sub-compact and full size in a caliber that is more than sufficient for self defense and range use. My advice would be to get one gun, in one caliber, and learn it well before worrying about replacement barrels and grip extensions etc.
    Last edited by JD; September 10th, 2011 at 01:08 PM.

JD hit the nail on the head. If you have to go with Glock, go for a 19.

But, to my way of thinking, if you are brand new to handguns in general, I'm not one to recommend Glock to beginners. I do not consider Glocks to be beginner class handguns. (they are great guns but there's a reason they have some of the highest AD/ND rates) I would actually suggest you get a good 3 or 4 inch revolver in either .38 or .357 for your first gun at least until you become more proficient in gun handling and safety.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Here is your help with which Glock to pick:

S&W M&P 40c
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

My first Glock was a 19. It still gets carried in the rotation. If I had to sell all of my Glocks but one, I'd keep the 19. It is the perfect size if you're only going to get one. The 26 and 17 have their roles too. But for the 1st, I'd go w/ the 19. As for the Shotty, I've owned an 870 and have a Mossy 590. Either will do the job well.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    JD hit the nail on the head. If you have to go with Glock, go for a 19.

But, to my way of thinking, if you are brand new to handguns in general, I'm not one to recommend Glock to beginners. I do not consider Glocks to be beginner class handguns. (they are great guns but there's a reason they have some of the highest AD/ND rates) I would actually suggest you get a good 3 or 4 inch revolver in either .38 or .357 for your first gun at least until you become more proficient in gun handling and safety.
    Absolutely agree. Start off with a good revolver. Glocks are great and I have two but I also don't consider them beginners guns. And we all start as beginners! I started with a Ruger 22!
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Go for the best and get a Glock 29. Most powerful caliber offered by Glock. You can also carry concealed very easy. I have one with in the OD Green flavor.

VIP Member
    Respectfully, I would not start out with a relatively small, lightweight 10mm Auto as my first handgun. A wonderful pistol it may be, but it's like giving someone just learning to drive a Veyron...
    thephanatik and JD like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Glock 19. Thats the only Glock ive had, but ive shot and spent time with other Glocks my friends lent me at the range. Gets my vote for grip, accuracy, maintenance. Cant go wrong with it
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Any Glock, but in this order...36, 30, 19, 26.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

if you like glocks then think about getting the one that's been perfected, a Steyr S9-a1 is smaller then the g19 or the M9-a1 is a bit larger than a g19. the steyr is where the glock should have evolved into.

Administrator
    For the Glock question.. the 19 is the answer, no doubt about it. Do not buy a 45, 10mm or 357, you are wasting your time and money while extending the learning curve a great deal.

For the shotgun question... go work a Mossberg 500 action and compare with an 870 side by side. Check out how the barrel is mounted. Look at the mag extensions and how they are fitted. The answer will be clear then on what is the better gun.
    JD and Old School like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have to respectfully disagree a bit with a few points made above. I feel a Glock is a perfect first gun for someone, and have used it to train new shooters over the last twenty years. Simple, accurate, reliable and durable.....just like a revolver, its simply a point and shoot weapon. No safeties or other things you have to mess with....just like a revolver. Like a revolver, you have to learn this rule: Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire and you will be fine. If you have an issue with that little rule of gun safety, you probably should investigate other means of self defense.

I do agree with a Glock 19 being your first Glock. Once you have mastered the fundamentals of shooting it, you can branch out and collect the other models. Buying barrels and mags for all the different guns can get expensive, so start slow and work you way up. The only thing about a Glock 9mm is that you can't convert it to a .40 or .357. However you can convert a .40 or .357 to a 9mm. Sucks, but that's physics.

There are grip extensions which will convert the grip of any of the subcompact Glocks (26/27/33) to accept either the Compact (19/23/32) mags or full size (17/22/31) mags. I bought mine from Gun Parts For Sale - Gun Accessories | Top Gun Supply. Just click on mag or grip extenders.

Here's a pic of my G26 with an A&G mag extender for a Glock 19 15 round mag.

you can do the same with the M&P Compacts with extenders by X-grip....M&P 9C with full size 17 round mag:

DefConGun and ksblazer like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

why not just get the g19 and have a bigger barrel than buying a g26 and using a mag extension? you wind up with the longer grip length but not a larger barrel
    SIXTO likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links