Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? - Page 10

Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

This is a discussion on Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would say my Kahr P9. I have 600 rounds on it with no FTFs or any problem. Vodek...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

I would say my Kahr P9. I have 600 rounds on it with no FTFs or any problem.
    Vodek

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Even though I have a Kahr PM9 and it has been working fine, I am still not 100% sure about it as I believe the weak link of it, is the magazine which most people experience is the 'Nose Dive' issue. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydollar View Post
    I'll second the vote for the HK P7. Not really a sub-compact, it is smaller than most so-called compacts and it is thinner than almost any pistol ever made in 9mm. It is perhaps the safest pistol to carry (due to its squeeze-cocking action) and its reliabilty is the stuff of legend. There is a famous HK training video that shows a P7 firing round after round without the extractor in the gun! Consider how many malfunctions are directly related to extractor problems, then think about an automatic pistol that reliably cycles without an extractor. The magazine fits into the gun with its feed lips nearly perpendicular to the barrel for reliable feeding, no gun sits lower in the hand (which aids in reducing muzzle flip), and, on the PSP version at least, you never have to worry about inadvertently engaging either the safety (there is none), the slide lock, or the magazine release. It has a fine single action trigger pull, as well. I could go on, but I guess you get the idea that I really like this gun. If ever you shoot one (did I mention that the fixed barrel makes these very accurate pistols?), you might just like it too. Best,
    JD
    I'll add my voice to this chorus. My HK P7M8 is superbly accurate and utterly reliable (versus my sub-compact Diamondback DB9 which averages 2 or 3 failures to feed per 6-round magazine). The HK P7M8 is very slim, easy to carry, super easy to run (though one does have to learn to squeeze the grip hard to active the squeeze-cocking mechanism), completely safe to carry AIWB pointing at the family jewels, and becomes instantly safe if it leaves your hand (as during a scuffle). The hinged single-action trigger is second only to the straight-back triggers on my tuned 1911s.

The only problem with the HK P7M8 is that it weighs a bit more than I wish it did.

Cant find sw shield. Would like a 40. Traded my pf 9 after sending back to keltec and waiting a month and a half. Got a xd40sc. Like it but want a single stack. Bp9cc maeby but still would like 40 Cal. Waiting to see if Springfield wont come out with the xds in40 or 9. Might just pack up a 38 snubnose but I do enjoy my xd9 and xd40. Again. I cant seem to find a sw shield. By the reviews it seems to be a nice gun.

Quote Originally Posted by muggia59 View Post
    Cant find sw shield. Would like a 40. Traded my pf 9 after sending back to keltec and waiting a month and a half. Got a xd40sc. Like it but want a single stack. Bp9cc maeby but still would like 40 Cal. Waiting to see if Springfield wont come out with the xds in40 or 9. Might just pack up a 38 snubnose but I do enjoy my xd9 and xd40. Again. I cant seem to find a sw shield. By the reviews it seems to be a nice gun.
    I have a hunch Springfield will come out with the XDS in 9mm and 40 in the next couple months.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I have a hunch Springfield will come out with the XDS in 9mm and 40 in the next couple months.
    Just in time for Christmas.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

My LC9 is working great for me. I don't agree with the complaints about the pistol. The long trigger pull is no problem for me. If you don't like the safety,
    don't use it. If you don't like the chambered round indicator, don't look at it. Neither one affects the operation of the pistol. And no, I don't work for Ruger, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by 02PSD4ME View Post
    I do not think there is "Most reliable" ALL mauf. have problems. That said, My Kahr PM9 has been 100%
    +1 Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    The benchmark I use to select a self defense firearm is......how many police departments or military units use a particular pistol/revolver from a given manufacturer? Why do I use this benchmark? Because in order for a firearm to be selected by one of these units, it usually must prove some level of reliability and durability. Sure, cost is an element also, but few police departments can afford to arm their units with with firearms that are not reliable. If you use this benchmark, you eliminate a lot of 3rd tier manufacturers (Kel-tec, Kahr, Taurus, Bersa, Ruger, etc.). Sure, you may be able to purchase a firearm from one of these companies that proves itself to be reliable, but your odds of getting a stinker are pretty high. If you get right down to it, there are only a handful of manufacturers making firearms today that are found widely distributed in police/military units (Glock, Smith and Wesson, Sig Arms, Beretta and Springfield).

Another point I want to make is that the smallest firearm for ccw may not be your best option. When I first began looking for a pistol for concealed carry, size and weight were of primary concern to me, but what I learned is that there is a direct correlation between size/weight and reliability and ease of shooting accurately. I normally don't carry a back-up gun. If I'm going to carry only one weapon, I want the one I carry to have the largest capacity that I shoot the best and that has proven itself to be reliablee. In my case, that's either a Sig Sauer P220 Carry or a Glock 30.
    Lets examine this a little. When I was issued the M-16 to replace the M-14, it had a lot of problems in Nam. It got better over time as they fixed its problems. Last year alone I had two bad new Glocks. One could not get through a mag out of the box and the other started jamming every few rounds after shooting it for a few hundred rounds. Two Kahrs went bad well after their break in period. A Springfield XDm started having problems after a few hundred rounds. A Sig, Ruger and a few others all jammed at one time or another in the last two years. I buy a lot of guns, 29 in the last 25 months and a few hunred over the last 41 years. I never consider any semi auto 100% reliable no matter how it was tested. The mass produced guns we buy are not the same ones that are tested by our government who only buys the best and nothing but the best.

I have gotten to the point where I am buying mostly revolvers now. Even though I shot revolvers more, I never had a problem with any that I owned. Lucky? Perhaps but I have to go with my experience in combat, training and competition more than any testing done with carefully manufactured guns submitted for testing. Often the gun finally issued is not exactly the same as the one tested. Small changes and "improvements" are added which cause problems.

Don't get me wrong. I carry semi autos more than revolvers due to their round capacity and thin profile. All my current semi autos are 100% until the day they are not. :)
    kmagnuss likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    What happens if your *budget* brands do not go bang when your family is on the line? Will you be happy you got a bargain? Are you glad you saved 100.00 bucks? For some folks the cost of firearms are negligible, for others they are costly and they have to make decisions to save longer for quality. I guess if it was a hobby for me (like it is for you) then I would not care as much, but I take my family and loved ones seriously. God Bless...
    What happens when your $1300 kimber does not go bang when your family is on the line? Will you be happy you paid top dollar for the best? Are you glad you spent three times as much. Will the name on the side of the slide make up for the loss of your loved ones?

I carrry my LC9 or LCP because they go bang every time, they are accurate because i shoot them often, and my kimber, while totally awesome cool, is an unreliable pain in the tush. Range gun only.

YMMV

I am considering the new XDs, just because i love the egonomics and accuracy of my XDs.
    Although it is a 45, and kind of a budget gun as well.

Sent from my iPad

My Bedretta nano has been very reliable so far and carries very well,

250 flawless rounds through my cm9 so far, since i got it at the end of august, and counting.

Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by 02PSD4ME View Post
    I do not think there is "Most reliable" ALL mauf. have problems. That said, My Kahr PM9 has been 100%
    I agree as my PM9 has been 100% also, but only after putting a few hundred rounds through it to break it in. I had several FTF in the first 50 rounds but have had many hundreds since then with no issues.

I also have a XD9SC for EDC and am looking for a single stack for when summer comes back around. Kel Tec pf9 is topping my list (mainly for price and it being the same 'style') I have had the chance to shoot the LC9 and the trigger goes for days. It shoots well but I do not want to mix up gun that either have or don't have a manual safety. I am looking forward to a release of XDs in 9mm or 40. I think with the reputation of the XDs in 45acp that they will quickly become a favorite.

P239

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Sponsored Links