Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

This is a discussion on Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had a Kahr cw 45 and it would not feed consistently and had ejection problems. The trigger was also long but at least ...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

I have had a Kahr cw 45 and it would not feed consistently and had ejection problems. The trigger was also long but at least it was smooth. I traded it for a LC9, out of the box the best groups I have ever shot with a hand gun. Also, not a single feed or eject problem. I also have to say that the trigger is not at all gritty and as I have put more rounds through the gun the trigger has gotten better. You still need to feel that the gun is an extension of your hand so all the recommendations here are only as good as a guide that you can start with. After that it is what you feel good with, trust and can hit your target with. Good luck with your search and I hope you find what works for you. Best, Frank.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    I have had a Kahr cw 45 and it would not feed consistently and had ejection problems. The trigger was also long but at least it was smooth. I traded it for a LC9, out of the box the best groups I have ever shot with a hand gun. Also, not a single feed or eject problem. I also have to say that the trigger is not at all gritty and as I have put more rounds through the gun the trigger has gotten better. You still need to feel that the gun is an extension of your hand so all the recommendations here are only as good as a guide that you can start with. After that it is what you feel good with, trust and can hit your target with. Good luck with your search and I hope you find what works for you. Best, Frank.
    The LC9 gave you the best groups you have ever shot with a handgun? Really?
    Lish likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    Kahr K9.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post
    I have the Ruger LC9 and happen to think it is an ideal carry gun. As concealable as a substantial caliber can be, and more accurate than a sub-compact should be.

I trust Ruger's reliability. When I compared the LC9 to Kahr's equivalents I did not find anything about the Kahr subcompacts that justified the price difference. I've read good things about Kahr's precision machining, but none of my 7 Rugers have ever failed to go BANG either.

The LC9's long trigger pull is to keep you from adding any more orifices below your belt-line. The thumb safety and loaded chamber indicator are the LC9's only flaw in my opinion. Those features are there to satisfy the hippies in CA. I do wish Ruger made a non-CA approved version for Americans. But, two boxes of ammo, and the trigger pull becomes muscle memory.

So, if you have tons of money laying around with no other need for it, get a Kahr... Or, send it to me :)
    The difference in price isn't that much. Bud's prices:

LC9-$349.00

CW9-$399.00

CM9-$410.00
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    The LC9 gave you the best groups you have ever shot with a handgun? Really?
    Out of the box, yes. But then again I have spent a lot of time with a LCP traded for a S&W Bodyguard .380 so the LC9 trigger is not new to me. I like the fact that the gun has a long trigger pull as I would rather have a chance to change my mind. If I used a gun as a way of making a living I would have the range time and muscle memory to feel safe using a 1911 type of gun. I need to weigh the benefit of a gun I can carry and be confident with against the desire to have the most powerful and fastest gun on me at all times. If that were the case I would have my have my S&W M&P FS45 on me at all times but that is just not realistic in this day and age. I still believe that we all need to carry a weapon that we feel confident in and will use if needed. It is one thing to shoot as paper but something completely different as a human being. I learned this a long time ago when I was deployed to Thailand while in the USAF. We did not have weapons but we were the targets. A different feeling all together when you are the paper. This is just my opinion and I am by no means an authority on anybody but myself. I believe we all need to do what is right for each of us and then take the responsibility for our decision. Again, this is just my .02 but thanks for looking.
    Best, Frank.

Thanks--I do feel welcomed--lots of great feedback!

I was wondering what issues you had with the Taurus. I looked at guns today and liked the feel of the 709 slim, and without firing it the trigger looked better than the LC9.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    Out of the box, yes. But then again I have spent a lot of time with a LCP traded for a S&W Bodyguard .380 so the LC9 trigger is not new to me. I like the fact that the gun has a long trigger pull as I would rather have a chance to change my mind. If I used a gun as a way of making a living I would have the range time and muscle memory to feel safe using a 1911 type of gun. I need to weigh the benefit of a gun I can carry and be confident with against the desire to have the most powerful and fastest gun on me at all times. If that were the case I would have my have my S&W M&P FS45 on me at all times but that is just not realistic in this day and age. I still believe that we all need to carry a weapon that we feel confident in and will use if needed. It is one thing to shoot as paper but something completely different as a human being. I learned this a long time ago when I was deployed to Thailand while in the USAF. We did not have weapons but we were the targets. A different feeling all together when you are the paper. This is just my opinion and I am by no means an authority on anybody but myself. I believe we all need to do what is right for each of us and then take the responsibility for our decision. Again, this is just my .02 but thanks for looking.
    Best, Frank.
    Frank,

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry my response to your statement came across a touch snooty. It's just that your original statement that the LC9 is the most accurate gun you have ever shot out of the box, paints you as a novice. There are just multiple physical limitations to that firearm that are not conducive to great accuracy. The LC9 is made for about 7 yards and under.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Walther PPS in 9mm...quality out of the box, and durability that matches the best out there....I have thousands of round through mine with 0 issues...I had no "break-in period" and it runs flawless with everything its fed, wet or dirty....I believe this is one of the top (one or two) ss 9mm's out there for reliability and long term durability!
    BritishAgent likes this.

VIP Member
    Tara, this is part of the letter I sent to Taurus, along with the gun, when I sent it for repairs. The gun was returned, all the ticket said was "repaired" and I still had the same problem. I really wanted to like the gun, but when it comes to a defensive weapon, I'm not giving it 3 strikes. 2 strikes and it's out of my safe.

My understanding of the trigger system on the gun is that it should fire in the single action mode unless a round does not fire. At that time it goes into double action mode for a second strike capability.

My gun has randomly gone to double action mode after firing a round, even though there was no malfunction with the round. The next round may fire in single action, or it may stay in the double action mode. This has happened with both magazine and various brands of ammunition.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

While it fits more into the compact category, my vote is for the HK P7.

My LC9 is working much better after putting a few more rounds thru it and may wind up being a keeper. I rented a Walther PPS at a gun range and it was easily the best single stack 9 I have ever shot. I am just not sure if I the Walther's size works for me. My Glock 26 isn't that much bigger.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

i have the same problem you have with my 9mm double stack. my EDC is an M&P9c, i just paid for a walther PPS... i hope it's as good shooting as it felt in the store.
    check out the PPS at a local store, it's super slim IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rqFLSTFB View Post
    i have the same problem you have with my 9mm double stack. my EDC is an M&P9c, i just paid for a walther PPS... i hope it's as good shooting as it felt in the store.
    check out the PPS at a local store, it's super slim IMO.
    If my experience with the PPS is any indication, you will not be dissapointed.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Lots of great info, and only my first day on the forum. The Taurus experience was great info. Their customer service reputation is not the greatest.
    I did handle a PPS today but they would not let me dry fire it, so I didn't get a feel for the trigger. I would imagine it's MUCH more similar to my XD-9 trigger than the LC9. I also handled a CM9, and found the slide really hard to rack--I could do it, but it took my best technique. I like the feel of the LC9 and PPS the best, and from everything I've read, I would get great customer service from Ruger or S&W--an important criteria I didn't mention in my original post. The PPS sounds a bit more reliable (I can find very few posts by folks who've had problems with them). I'm going to try to track down a PPS that I can try.
    Thanks to all, and any other thoughts would be welcomed! Tara

My Taurus PT709 has been flawless through 1,800 rounds. I love that little gun, and carry it alot. Never had any type of issue with it at all. Good sights, good trigger, manageable recoil, accurate...mine has functioned perfectly.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links