Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

This is a discussion on Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tara, the slide on Kahr pistols are hard to rack when new. I found that after 50 or so rounds they loosened up and are ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

VIP Member
    Tara, the slide on Kahr pistols are hard to rack when new. I found that after 50 or so rounds they loosened up and are about the same as other guns after that. Take a look at the CW9 also, it's a little bit bigger than the CM9 but still quite concealable, plus it gives you an extra round at 7+1 vs 6+1.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    My Ruger LC9 has been 100% reliable in 800 rds. and counting. And, it's a blast to shoot!
    SuperRuger101 likes this.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Walther PPS. Good enough for 007 good enough for me.
    BritishAgent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Frank,

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry my response to your statement came across a touch snooty. It's just that your original statement that the LC9 is the most accurate gun you have ever shot out of the box, paints you as a novice. There are just multiple physical limitations to that firearm that are not conducive to great accuracy. The LC9 is made for about 7 yards and under.
    No argument that the gun is made for close combat but then again that is what a small 9mm is made for in my opinion. As I stated I am more accustomed to that style trigger and actually feel it is a better option for a concealed carry gun in these says of litigation for anything. If I could put in the time to feel comfortable with a Colt 1911 as a carry I would do it. The LC9 just fits my hand and I like it. Novice or not that is the bottom line for me. I wish I could carry a larger gun but the way I work and the places I work it just ins't possible. And I did not think you came off snotty, you have a right to your opinion as does anyone else. I certainly do not know everything, just ask my Mother - In - Law!!!!!
    Best, Frank
    aznav likes this.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elpjt View Post
    Walther PPS. Good enough for 007 good enough for me.
    Uh, er, James Bond used a Walther PPK. It is a .380. The PPS is a relatively new gun in 9mm.
    aznav likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Uh, er, James Bond used a Walther PPK. It is a .380. The PPS is a relatively new gun in 9mm.
    Not in the new novel Carte Blanche. By the way it is a great shooting weapon. Conceals quite well. The long sight line increases accuracy. Has been 100% reliable. Flawlessly finished. The trigger is improving every trip to the range. Easily field stripped. Has a chanegeable back stap to fit different sized hands. 6, 7, or 8 round mags.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Had Kahr MK9 Liked it ...Traded it for a K9 Just LOVE it....!

Kahr CM9 Experience

I have a Kahr CW40 and had problems with it, enough that I thought I'd never own another Kahr. But, I replaced the slide lock spring twice, and suddenly found it to be very reliable. That little spring is too easy to bend in re-assembly after cleaning, but once I figured out how to do it, no problems.

Then I wanted something smaller, so bought a Diamondback DB9. Problems galore, back to factory, shavings of polymer material when cleaning, FTFs, etc. Doing better now, but wouldn't trust it when I need it most. So, bought a Kahr CM9. A tiny bit wider, but otherwise just about the same size, only about four or five ounces heavier.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkimmons View Post
    I have a Kahr CW40 and had problems with it, enough that I thought I'd never own another Kahr. But, I replaced the slide lock spring twice, and suddenly found it to be very reliable. That little spring is too easy to bend in re-assembly after cleaning, but once I figured out how to do it, no problems.
    Ya I think Kahr specifies you to insert the slide release at the 4 oclock position, and then on the final push twist slowly into the 3 oclock when you are reassembling.

I just got my CM9 and I love it, and yes TARA as you said, these guns are very tight and very stiff right out of the box, but I think that's a plus in some regards. My CM9 other than one jam right off the bat with some old Tula has been 100% flawless and the trigger pull on it is great IMO. Good luck on your search. Have you looked at the DB9? Pretty efficient little gun there.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

CDH
    I'll add to the mix and say that the CM9 I just bought has ran just fine this weekend (for the first time). I had considered the CW9, but the CM9 appealed to me more for being more compact for front pocket carry in a nylon holster. I think that when Kahr came out with the CM9, they hit a home run for price vs. quality and dependability and compactness.

eb
    My Keltec PF9 has been 100% reliable so far (about 250 rounds through it, zero malfunctions). I paid $279 for it brand new.

You can see it to the right of my XD9sc for size comparison. It is substantially thinner as well at .88" wide. Its not the most fun to shoot, kinda snappy, but its a carry gun anyway so when I shoot it at the range I just wear shooting gloves. I've been pleased with it, and even more pleased that I didn't spend double the money on a single stack 9.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    My Keltec PF9 has been 100% reliable so far (about 250 rounds through it, zero malfunctions). I paid $279 for it brand new.

You can see it to the right of my XD9sc for size comparison. It is substantially thinner as well at .88" wide. Its not the most fun to shoot, kinda snappy, but its a carry gun anyway so when I shoot it at the range I just wear shooting gloves. I've been pleased with it, and even more pleased that I didn't spend double the money on a single stack 9.

Keltec's are fantastic value when they work. My experiences with them are hit and miss, and they also look and feel like they cost 275.00.
    aznav likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I second the Ruger LC9. It's great for concealed carry and I'm pretty accurate with it. The long trigger pull isn't hard to get used to. I had only one issue (Hammer Catch Spring) and Ruger made it right. I now have over 700 rounds through it. Great little pistol!

I had troubles with my Pm9 initially but kahr made it right eventually, now it runs flawlessly.
    That said, I haven't been able to get to the range lately, so I've been carrying my j-frame 340pd. No doubt about it going bang when needed. And for whatever reason I haven't been concerned about the round count lately. Something to consider.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

The last thing you should even be thinking about is a "budget" concealed carry piece....why on earth do people look at "a really inexpensive" gun when looking for something to save their lives or a life of a loved one? If you or a loved one had brain cancer and your life or theirs is on the line and needed an operation, are you shopping for a budget brain surgeon south of the border....exactly....pretty rediculous.
    helderberg and CDH like this.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links