Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

This is a discussion on Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am of the opinion that all of the single stack 9mm semi-auto pistols can be quite finicky. I have had a Taurus 709B for ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

Thumbs up 709 slim

I am of the opinion that all of the single stack 9mm semi-auto pistols can be quite finicky. I have had a Taurus 709B for over 2 years now. It was an early model, and a trip back to Taurus was necessary to get a replacement ejector. It seems that the early models tended to have ejector problems. Taurus CS treated me well. Since that time the pistol has functioned flawlessly. I have put about 300 rounds downrange since then with no issues. About a year ago, I installed a Crimson Trace laser on it, I like the combination. The pistol is in my CCCW rotation, loaded with Rem GS, or Hornady CD.

I might have looked at the LC9, but by the time it was released, the teething issues of my 709 had been resolved. I like the fit, finish and feel of my 709.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    The last thing you should even be thinking about is a "budget" concealed carry piece....why on earth do people look at "a really inexpensive" gun when looking for something to save their lives or a life of a loved one? If you or a loved one had brain cancer and your life or theirs is on the line and needed an operation, are you shopping for a budget brain surgeon south of the border....exactly....pretty rediculous.
    It's obvious that people like you and I are in the minority, hence the reason why Ruger and Keltec are so popular.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

my PF9 has been very good so far. done with the break in period and no more FTFs. I just cant carry my compact SIG Pro and 1911.
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

That is almost like saying why is not everyone purchasing and driving a Mercedes or BMW to protect themselves on the road, etc. as they cost more and so they should be more safer and do not break down as often as a lower brand such as Toyota or Honda. Some people as myself are not able to afford really expensive firearms, but do enjoy this hobby, so YES we purchase the so called *budget* brands even if it means protecting ourselves and our families with it. I am pretty sure that if a BG breaks into my home and I have to use my *budget* Keltec or Taurus that he will stop and say, "Oh that just a Keltec or Taurus, no need to worry." Again this is just me and my rant. Thanks God Bless

The last thing you should even be thinking about is a "budget" concealed carry piece....why on earth do people look at "a really inexpensive" gun when looking for something to save their lives or a life of a loved one? If you or a loved one had brain cancer and your life or theirs is on the line and needed an operation, are you shopping for a budget brain surgeon south of the border....exactly....pretty rediculous.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Keltec's are fantastic value when they work. My experiences with them are hit and miss, and they also look and feel like they cost 275.00.
    I put another 100 rounds down-range today. Still flawless. I got the parkerized slide on mine, it looks fine fit and finish wise. I've had an LC9 and I can't say as though the LC9 was "prettier" in any way whatsoever. I also have a Kahr MK9 which is definitely prettier, and just as reliable. But it was $800 and performs no better. I carry my Keltec without hesitation when I need something compact. It doesn't have the ridiculous mag release feature of the LC9.

eb
    Tell this to the people with completely unreliable Kimber Solos, or the people with failed 4th gen Glock springs. What I think is ridiculous, is the thought that the more you pay, the more more reliable the gun. Keep selling yourself that Koolaid man, its far from reality. You have to look at the particular gun/model's track record itself.

I have (3) what would be considered "cheap" guns, the rest of them are much more acceptable to gun snobs (Springfield, Glock, Sig, Walther, etc). Heres my experience:

1) Taurus TCP 380. ~300 rounds through it, flawless performance. $249
    2) Keltec PF9 9mm, ~350 rounds through it so far, flawless so far again. $279
    3) Ruger LC9 9mm, ~500 rounds through it, ZERO issues. $339 (sold this one because I hated the mag release and trigger).

I wouldn't consider any of my more expensive guns, some costing 3x as much as these, any more reliable frankly. Maybe I'm just lucky or something. /shrug

To balance it out, I had a Bersa Thunder 380 that was cheap ($299) and was a disaster. Light strikes, FTF, FTE, etc. Still, I'll bet I can find a dozen posts on this board where people carry these and find them reliable. I got a dud. It happens. I've also read of duds with virtually every type of much more expensive guns, and every manufacturer as well.

The only final thing I'd add is no matter what you choose to carry, take it out and put a couple hundred rounds through it, including any special ammo you're planning to run. Whether a gun costs $250 or $2500, I'm not trusting my life to it without time on the range... the proof is in the real world performance, everything else is just forum hot air as far as I'm concerned.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    That is almost like saying why is not everyone purchasing and driving a Mercedes or BMW to protect themselves on the road, etc. as they cost more and so they should be more safer and do not break down as often as a lower brand such as Toyota or Honda. Some people as myself are not able to afford really expensive firearms, but do enjoy this hobby, so YES we purchase the so called *budget* brands even if it means protecting ourselves and our families with it. I am pretty sure that if a BG breaks into my home and I have to use my *budget* Keltec or Taurus that he will stop and say, "Oh that just a Keltec or Taurus, no need to worry." Again this is just me and my rant. Thanks God Bless
    What happens if your *budget* brands do not go bang when your family is on the line? Will you be happy you got a bargain? Are you glad you saved 100.00 bucks? For some folks the cost of firearms are negligible, for others they are costly and they have to make decisions to save longer for quality. I guess if it was a hobby for me (like it is for you) then I would not care as much, but I take my family and loved ones seriously. God Bless...

HK P7

I'll second the vote for the HK P7. Not really a sub-compact, it is smaller than most so-called compacts and it is thinner than almost any pistol ever made in 9mm. It is perhaps the safest pistol to carry (due to its squeeze-cocking action) and its reliabilty is the stuff of legend. There is a famous HK training video that shows a P7 firing round after round without the extractor in the gun! Consider how many malfunctions are directly related to extractor problems, then think about an automatic pistol that reliably cycles without an extractor. The magazine fits into the gun with its feed lips nearly perpendicular to the barrel for reliable feeding, no gun sits lower in the hand (which aids in reducing muzzle flip), and, on the PSP version at least, you never have to worry about inadvertently engaging either the safety (there is none), the slide lock, or the magazine release. It has a fine single action trigger pull, as well. I could go on, but I guess you get the idea that I really like this gun. If ever you shoot one (did I mention that the fixed barrel makes these very accurate pistols?), you might just like it too. Best,
    JD

eb
    What happens if your *budget* brands do not go bang when your family is on the line? Will you be happy you got a bargain? Are you glad you saved 100.00 bucks? For some folks the cost of firearms are negligible, for others they are costly and they have to make decisions to save longer for quality. I guess if it was a hobby for me (like it is for you) then I would not care as much, but I take my family and loved ones seriously. God Bless...
    I'd guess the same thing that happens when a Kimber Solo Carry or Glock 4th gen fails to go "bang" as I said above. The assumption that a more expensive gun is going to go bang more often boggles me. No matter what the gun is, test it and prove to yourself that it works. In the end that is all that matters. People get killed all the time by so-called "budget" guns that went "bang".

As for me, the cost means nothing, I don't consider a gun expensive unless its $1500 or more. I only carry guns that have run, at a minimum, 250-500+ rounds FLAWLESSLY, including 50+ rounds of SD loads on top of that. Right now I've got 4 carry guns that all have been flawless and bought within the past year. I bought 6 for the purpose if that tells you anything. I won't accept anything less than 100% perfection, and a few of them didn't make the cut. When the (gun)smoke clears, I don't give a crap how much I paid for a gun, or what name is stamped on the side, the proof is in the pudding.

I picked up a Glock 30 this week with the intention of EDC'ing that in the colder months, but haven't shot it yet. As of today, I'd carry ANY of my 4 carry guns over the Glock simply because I've tested them out (yes, even the $249 TCP). The Glock has to prove to me its worthy just like the others. If it malfunctions, I'll trade it in and try something else...

Good luck guys, test your carry gun OP!! No matter what you buy, don't let anyone else tell you whether its going to go bang or not.
    ironmike86, ASSA9 and NIS350ZTT like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post
    I do wish Ruger made a non-CA approved version for Americans.
    Lol, good one. :)

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I guess if it was a hobby for me (like it is for you) then I would not care as much, but I take my family and loved ones seriously. God Bless...
    Jeeze bud, I don't think there is a need to insinuate that VBAGUY doesn't care for his family simply because he has a Keltec or Taurus, and or views shooting as a hobby. I view it as a hobby too, yet I carry, practice, and have guns in the home for personal protection. Some of us can only spend so much on a firearm before other things become impossible to pay for, such as bills and food. Sorry, I guess it just doesn't sit right with me when people are put down simply because they don't have a 500+ dollar firearm.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Which do you trust to start on a cold morning, a Honda or a Jaguar?
    Money doesn't buy nor prove love.
    aznav likes this.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

The Sig P6 is a good pistol to consider. I had a few problems with JHP rounds and the feed ramp, but I filed it down a little and now it works great! It's a little bigger and heavier than some of the pistols mentioned, but it's very accurate and pleasure to shoot. I don't know how available they are anymore, but I paid $350.00 for mine.

Pricetag isn't an instant pass of the litmus test. All makers have had issues. Regardless of the name on the side, I test each and every firearm that I plan to use definsively to a great extent.

Also, when looking down the barrel of a gun, a person isn't going to be too concerned with whether it is a Glock, Taurus, or Kel Tec. Unless you've ever looked down the business end of one, you may not understand...in the days of my youth, I learned it the hard way. Thankfully I made it through those years.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Jeeze bud, I don't think there is a need to insinuate that VBAGUY doesn't care for his family simply because he has a Keltec or Taurus, and or views shooting as a hobby. I view it as a hobby too, yet I carry, practice, and have guns in the home for personal protection. Some of us can only spend so much on a firearm before other things become impossible to pay for, such as bills and food. Sorry, I guess it just doesn't sit right with me when people are put down simply because they don't have a 500+ dollar firearm.
    You guys are turning this into a have and have not battle. I have never said that high dollar guns are more reliable, my point is why do people buy a poorly made firearms when there is such reliability and quality for not much more money. The point is save a little. In most cases you get what you pay for. I don't care if this sets well for you or not, it's a fact. I see this even more with AR15's as they will buy a bushmaster, and if they added a little more cash they could have a Colt or Bravo Company.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links