Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? - Page 6

Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

This is a discussion on Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tara Thanks again to all. Just looked up the Sig P239 and it's heavier than my XD-9 SC. I was able to ...

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Thanks again to all. Just looked up the Sig P239 and it's heavier than my XD-9 SC.

I was able to dry fire a Walther PPS this afternoon and really liked the trigger, very similar to the XD-9, and it fits my hand well. It's a hair longer than the XD-9, but considerably thinner and noticeably lighter. I like the mag release. My local gun shop has ordered one.

As much as I like the LC9, and think I could get used to the trigger, it's SO different from my XD-9 that I can see the difference between the two being harder to adapt to (especially under stress) than if it were my only gun--the same reason I wouldn't want a DA/SA trigger.

One thing I've learned through this thread is that you really have to put a lot of rounds through a gun to test its dependability, so I plan to do that with the XD -- and the PPS if it happens to find its way into my house. I don't know where I read it, but on some gun forum I saw a statement by a man who said "NOW I understand why women need so many pairs of shoes!" Now I understand why my friend Bill has so many guns.
    Given the chance, you really should try out a P239. Just try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I got two of the Keltec PF-9s with hard chrome slides. Never had a bit of problem with them in hundreds of rounds down range.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

My Sig P239 has been flawless for me, and I shoot it a lot.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

This is a 9mm PPS I've put 2400 flawless rds (of assorted fmj and jhp ammo) through in the past two years. It's never skipped a beat.

Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot at the range. It's pictured with an 8rd magazine but 6 and 7 rd mags are available which make it considerably smaller.

I highly recommend it for concealed carry and IMO, it's a steal at $650.00 more or less.

Good luck in your search OP.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

It looks great with antique oak too!
    aznav likes this.

I too have a Springfield XDsc9 and wanted something lighter for my EDC. You mentioned the safeties 'you don't have to think about', for me this would eliminate any with manual safeties (LC9, Kimber Solo, Taurus, etc). I picked up a Kahr CM9 three months ago and have had zero issues with it. The trigger is smooth, it is very accurate and reliable. If you can read the article in the October/November Handguns magazine: "Subcompact 9mm Shootoff"- it reviews the PM9 which is essentially an upgraded CM9. Best of luck with your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Smith and Wesson 3913/3914 have no reliability issues that I have ever heard of. They are neat, slim little guns but you may want to shoot one first to be sure you don't mind the DA/SA transition and they may be bigger than what you want.
    Ditto - have the 3913 since 1991 or so and never had an issue. Big by modern standards, and the DA/SA takes training.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

I picked up a CM9 and found the slide REALLY hard to rack. Did yours loosen up--a LOT?
    Last edited by Tara; September 15th, 2011 at 09:18 AM.

s&w model 39 is good. never had any problems with my.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The slide definitely loosens up in the break-in period. Built to tight tolerances. I ordered a spare recoil spring assembly, as they recommend changing at 1200 to 1500 rounds, and found that the original spring had already compressed about a half inch in length in 500 or so rounds. Called factory, said it was normal. Said to keep the original spring in for range firing until the gun had problems feeding or locking, then change to the new spring for carry.

I wouldn't say alot, but it has loosened. Kahr's have tight tolerances and tight springs, it definitely takes some pull to rack the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Uh, er, James Bond used a Walther PPK. It is a .380. The PPS is a relatively new gun in 9mm.
    Uh...James Bond was a fictional character too; his "deadly: PPK was kinda like John Wayne's old six-shooter in that it always worked and never an out of ammo.
    aznav likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    Recoil and cost of ammo
    Not a factor if you win the gunfight.

+1 for the new Kimber Solo

I had the opportunity to handles them at Shot2011. Sheer Quality

Quote Originally Posted by kjsl105 View Post
    +1 for the new Kimber Solo

I had the opportunity to handles them at Shot2011. Sheer Quality
    Kimber Solo Carry: Recall?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links