Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

This is a discussion on Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Myself I don't see why some people will go buy a kahr when they could have a very highly recommended Kimber with an excellent track ...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

VIP Member
    Myself I don't see why some people will go buy a kahr when they could have a very highly recommended Kimber with an excellent track record round for a main carry piece. Myself I carry a Kimber ultra cap 2 in 45. I think kahrs are just over rated second class firearms and I would not stake my life or my family on one no more then i would a ruger or kel tec which are just a good missile launchers. My friend had a kahr pm9 and his would ever so often jam up by failing to eject different types of quality sd rounds. Bad stuff for a edc self defense weapon.. I also have a very reliable Ed brown full size for winter carry. You know what goes in my ankle holster as a bug? A reliable kel Tec pf9 in a galco ankle rig...my 45'sr in a milt sparks IWB for summer and full size 45 in a shoulder holster for winter carry...When I firs started in le in the late seventies we carried sw 66 357 4 inch. Then when depts. starting switching to autos we went to 9mm. But due to the underpowered 9mm bullet in even the full size autos we carried at times doped up bad guys were not being stopped at once a lot of times in our big city metro department. So then we went to the 40s&w round it does the job and the bad guys go down when hit. The dept would have gone to the full house 45acp but not all on the dept could handle the big round. The NC highway patrol has gone on to the 357 sig. The shocking power is what's needed to put down mean wild people. Your average everyday joe will go down with a 22lr or a 32acp, 380 or 9mm. But when things get bad in a hurry.. Go 357 sig, 45acp, 40sw...In the auto dept. for the sure stop of things in a hurry. I just saw too many dept. shootings with that 9mm where we go to the hospital to find bad guys afte they ran off with 9mm bullets in chest, stomachs and bladde hits. Oh they knew they had to get to the hospital because they were in bad shape and some would die there getting treated. Some would even shoot back as they ran away through housing projects. Heck u chase them very carefully because u might run up on them and u might not. Some would only get a few yards and fall, some fall where they were hit, so the chance was there with the 9mm greatly that they would make it. Myself I consider to be a weakling up to a lot of these mean dudes. Man some of them can take the lead...I get hit once I will probably be dead or at least down....so anything less then those 4 LE rounds i spoke of is wishfull thinking a lot of times in stopping a really mean bad guy in his rage. Anyway what LE s doing is trying to match a auto round to that man stopping 357 magnum we had in the seventies. In the auto pistol I think the 40sw and the 357sig is a great LE round with the ability to hold a lot of bullets for a gun battle with bad guns and still hav excellent stopping abilities....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    I picked up a CM9 and found the slide REALLY hard to rack. Did yours loosen up--a LOT?
    My CM9 was very tight out of the box too. From the Kahrs I've owned, handled and shot, this is normal. My CM9 loosened up quite nicely after my first range session with it. Fantastic little gun.

300+ rounds through my wifes LC9 and I'd say it's pretty good.. It snaps a little more compared to my heavier and bigger Glock 26 but that's understandable.

For the size, and accuracy I'd say the LC9 is a winner. Good price too. But the reason why it is my wifes CCW and will continue to be hers and only hers now... She can have the trigger, thats my only complaint. It is an accurate gun but I don't feel like my follow up shots are as good with it due to the trigger compared to others.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.

I am looking at the CM9 but from most of the issues I've read at Kahr Forum it seems that they are only about 60% reliable at most, right out of the box?? And their customer service department doesn't seem to be very helpful. They are almost twice as much as the PF9 which seems to be much more reliable and KelTec is said to have a great customer service department too. They both seem to be about the same size so concealment would be about the same and the PF9 is 7+1 too, and they just came out with an 8 round mag, which would add a little height but would make a good spar. Any thoughts ... going to a show this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    Tell this to the people with completely unreliable Kimber Solos, or the people with failed 4th gen Glock springs. What I think is ridiculous, is the thought that the more you pay, the more more reliable the gun. Keep selling yourself that Koolaid man, its far from reality. You have to look at the particular gun/model's track record itself.

I have (3) what would be considered "cheap" guns, the rest of them are much more acceptable to gun snobs (Springfield, Glock, Sig, Walther, etc). Heres my experience:

1) Taurus TCP 380. ~300 rounds through it, flawless performance. $249
    2) Keltec PF9 9mm, ~350 rounds through it so far, flawless so far again. $279
    3) Ruger LC9 9mm, ~500 rounds through it, ZERO issues. $339 (sold this one because I hated the mag release and trigger).

I wouldn't consider any of my more expensive guns, some costing 3x as much as these, any more reliable frankly. Maybe I'm just lucky or something. /shrug
    No offense, but those examples aren't showcasing anything but range reliability. Not to mention that I don't consider a gun "broken in" until it has 500 rounds minimum fired through it, and then 250-300 rounds of my intended carry ammo.

Then again, I don't consider a gun reliable until I've ran it on an advanced pistol course over a weekend in the sand and dust that we experience out here while putting a thousand or two rounds down range. I want to know my weapons failure points, if it has any. I want to know how a gun is going to shoot when it's 110 outside, and I've been sweating on it all day, and then some a$$hole attacks me and pushes me down causing the gun to get caked in a puddle of mud and sand.

Do you think the Glock/M&P or the Taurus or Keltec would be better in that situation? (Do you really believe those guns are more reliable than Glocks and M&Ps?)

Hell, in the past two years I've fired 40 or 50 different firearms, and I've only had two malfunctions, and both were with the same gun (XD45). Does that prove that all 39 to 49 of those other firearms are reliable? Does that even prove that the XD45 is unreliable?
    12smile likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Myself I don't see why some people will go buy a kahr when they could have a very highly recommended Kimber with an excellent track record round for a main carry piece.
    Whoa, serious wall of text.

I stopped after the first sentence... Since when does Kimber have an "excellent track record?"
    ironmike86 and aznav like this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I'll toss in another vote for the Kel Tec PF9. I've got close to 1250 rds through mine and after the initial break in period, it's run smoothly.

I do own higher priced guns (Glock, HK, Sig), but I have no problem carrying my PF9 daily, like I do. Sure, it's not the prettiest gun out there and the finish has a lot to be desired, but when I'm carrying a gun I'm not carrying it to go to a fashion show, I'm carrying it to protect myself.

What I've found is that 9 times out of 10, gun snobs tend to be more concerned with their safe queens than actually carrying daily.

Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    Walther PPS in 9mm...quality out of the box, and durability that matches the best out there....I have thousands of round through mine with 0 issues...I had no "break-in period" and it runs flawless with everything its fed, wet or dirty....I believe this is one of the top (one or two) ss 9mm's out there for reliability and long term durability!
    Agree! I have the PPS in 40 and not a single issue. I have shot a thousand rounds now.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elpjt View Post
    Walther PPS. Good enough for 007 good enough for me.
    007 had a Walther PPK.

Fitch
    aznav likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I'm looking for a single stack 9 to replace my G26 on days when it's not possible to hide it. I have the LCP, so I'm not going completely unarmed, but I'd like something just a tiny bit bigger in 9mm. If someone make a slightly scaled up P238 or Colt Mustang in 9mm, I'd already own one.

I do not like long light double action triggers. I bought an LC9 but just plain could not adapt to the trigger, didn't like the mag disconnect, the butt ugly loaded chamber indicator or the safety, and it was not any easier to conceal than my G26 which is a vastly better gun. I've rented CW9, PM9, MK9 (heavy but I shot it pretty well) and couldn't make myself bring one home after the LC9 experience.

I'm hoping that the Beretta Nano, or the SIG P290 after SIG tweaks it, will be acceptable. The trigger on the P290 was barely acceptable and felt gritty, but other than that it fit my hand well, and at 20oz it should be just fine to shoot.

If that doesn't turn out, I'll probably buy another P238 and pack that.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    007 had a Walther PPK.

Fitch
    Not only that, but 007 isn't real, I tend not to base my gun purchases on what a movie star uses ;) generally doesn't related to real world.

Not that I wouldn't buy a PPS or PPK, both awesome pistols, and I regret passing up a mint never fired used PPK/S at the local shop for hundreds off retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    007 had a Walther PPK.

Fitch
    In .32 ACP (7.65mm). Not exactly a regularly recommended carry piece. Of course, he had perfect shot placement every time, because every time he hit someone, he went down instantly. Either that or we're all carrying the wrong caliber...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Smith and Wesson 3913/3914 have no reliability issues that I have ever heard of. They are neat, slim little guns but you may want to shoot one first to be sure you don't mind the DA/SA transition and they may be bigger than what you want.
    2913. My second, all time, favorite handgun!
    Attached Images
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridge1976 View Post
    I second the Ruger LC9. It's great for concealed carry and I'm pretty accurate with it. The long trigger pull isn't hard to get used to. I had only one issue (Hammer Catch Spring) and Ruger made it right. I now have over 700 rounds through it. Great little pistol!
    I had a PF9. Say what you want, but it was the only pistol I ever fired that stung my hand. After about a hundred rounds I decided to trade it. Oh, no FTF's, though.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I wouldnt suggest The Kel-tec PF9. SS 9mm has a 7 rnd mag....thats it just 7 but for some reason I couldnt get through a whole Magazine without some kind of malfunction if my life depended on it....Im just glad it didnt.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links