Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

This is a discussion on Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; kahr is a hit or miss. for the price of the gun, I can't take that risk... taurus are like that too, but they are ...

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

kahr is a hit or miss. for the price of the gun, I can't take that risk...

taurus are like that too, but they are worth the 'shot'

2. Remove Ads

Ruger SR9C

The ruger sr9c has been the best concealed gun I have ever carried. It is very comfortable, thin, accurate, quick to grab and draw, holds 10+1 or 17+1. I have too many carry guns--1911, xd, ruger, glock, steyr.......... But the one that I always go back to because it is dependable and comfy is the SR9C. The only misfire I have ever had was with walmart ammo white box. The Ruger has fired every self defense round I have put through her. I have bought and sold too many guns to keep track of, but the Ruger is a keeper.

I put a lot of time looking into these recently and ended up with a Taurus PT709. It easily matched of the guns mentioned above, and the main reason I chose it was how it felt in my hands compared to the rest. Bottom line for me is to get what you are most comfortable with. My Taurus has 1500 rounds through it without a single FTF or FTE. It has a unique trigger pull due to the "second strike" version of DA. I got used to it right away and now it is like second nature. Take the time to look at them all, your hands will tell you which one you like.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Stainless steel, accurate, reliable & not all that heavy my Kahr K9 works quite well for me.

LC9 pretty much hard to go wrong with any of the major brands

I had a chance to hold the SW MP9 yesterday, didn't shoot it but it felt great. Really a nice to CC. Read a lot of good things on internet about it.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Myself I don't see why some people will go buy a kahr when they could have a very highly recommended Kimber with an excellent track record round for a main carry piece.
    Hmmm. "Highly recommended"? Sometimes. "excellent track record." Quite debatable.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coltman 77 View Post

This is a 9mm PPS I've put 2400 flawless rds (of assorted fmj and jhp ammo) through in the past two years. It's never skipped a beat.

Very accurate and a pleasure to shoot at the range. It's pictured with an 8rd magazine but 6 and 7 rd mags are available which make it considerably smaller.

I highly recommend it for concealed carry and IMO, it's a steal at $650.00 more or less.

Good luck in your search OP.
    "Let me get this straight, Mr. Colt. You initially shot the intruder, then stabbed him when he didn't go down and you recorded the time of death at 1801 and 25 seconds?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
    The ruger sr9c has been the best concealed gun I have ever carried. It is very comfortable, thin, accurate, quick to grab and draw, holds 10+1 or 17+1. I have too many carry guns--1911, xd, ruger, glock, steyr.......... But the one that I always go back to because it is dependable and comfy is the SR9C. The only misfire I have ever had was with walmart ammo white box. The Ruger has fired every self defense round I have put through her. I have bought and sold too many guns to keep track of, but the Ruger is a keeper.
    But this is a double stack, and not a single stack, right?

It's a new gun so reliability hasn't been tested yet, but if you like the features of the XDsc, have you considered looked looking at the XDs? I'm hoping once I save my pennies that will be next one so it will be easier to dress around. I currently dress around the XDsc but it's limited my wardrobe significantly.

There are days I miss how easy it was to carry the LC9, I could wear just about anything - but I hated shooting it so I sold it a few months back.

Edit: I meant to say I realize you're asking about 9mm but SA has said that is supposed to be avail in 9 late this year. If you can wait a bit, it may be worth it. We should start cooling off here in FL soon, even if just a bit, which will make dressing around your XDsc a little easier.

Ruger, Colt , Sprinfield,S&W. take your pick all as good as it gets there is no one most reliable one best one prefect.

Kahr, any of them are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    I recently purchased a Springfield XD-9 subcompact, and am very happy with it. I like the multiple safeties that you don't have to think about, and that it has a reputation for being extremely reliable. After carrying it, I realized that I'd also like to have something slimmer (single-stack) and lighter. I've tried the Ruger LC9 twice, and like everything about it except for the loooooooooog trigger pull. It fits my hand perfectly and is surprisingly accurate for such a small gun. I've researched the Kahr CM9 and Kimber Solo, but it seems that their reliability isn't nearly that of the XD. Can anyone recommend a gun that meets the those criteria, with reliabilty at the top of the list? Also, any reliability issues concerning the LC9 would definitely be of interest. Thanks in advance.
    My Kahr PM9 & P380 has been reliable thus far.
    Mrs. A ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMrsAuthority?feature=mhee
    Targeted for women who have a "CCW","CPL", "CHL" Permit. I am a strong advocate on carrying on the body rather than in your purse. It can be done.
    My CCW guns (Ruger LCR, Kahr PM9 & Kahr P380)

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    No one makes firearms that work 100% . All make some turds. Buy one proff it before cc'n it. I have carried a taurus revolver for 20 years and fired many thousands of rounds. Then a KT pf-9 for 2 1/2 and fired 2000 rounds thru it. And now a kahr ,or one of two kahrs and 2200 rounds and still perfect. Many handguns are only as good as the ammo its feed and the owners ability to clean lube and shoot it well.

Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    Walther PPS in 9mm...quality out of the box, and durability that matches the best out there....I have thousands of round through mine with 0 issues...I had no "break-in period" and it runs flawless with everything its fed, wet or dirty....I believe this is one of the top (one or two) ss 9mm's out there for reliability and long term durability!
    . Have to agree. I own a Sig P 220 and my PPS is as reliable as my Sig ....love 'em both!
    P220 Carry Sig Sauer goodness. Say hello to my leeeetle friend.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Links