Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

This is a discussion on Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a Springfield XD-9 subcompact, and am very happy with it. I like the multiple safeties that you don't have to think about, ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

Question Most reliable single-stack 9mm sub-compact?

I recently purchased a Springfield XD-9 subcompact, and am very happy with it. I like the multiple safeties that you don't have to think about, and that it has a reputation for being extremely reliable. After carrying it, I realized that I'd also like to have something slimmer (single-stack) and lighter. I've tried the Ruger LC9 twice, and like everything about it except for the loooooooooog trigger pull. It fits my hand perfectly and is surprisingly accurate for such a small gun. I've researched the Kahr CM9 and Kimber Solo, but it seems that their reliability isn't nearly that of the XD. Can anyone recommend a gun that meets the those criteria, with reliabilty at the top of the list? Also, any reliability issues concerning the LC9 would definitely be of interest. Thanks in advance.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Hmmm....... that is tough one. Every single manufacture of a SS 9mm has some sort of problems of one kind or another. I have a $1200 Springfield Armory 9mm EMP and it has some problems and needs to go back to the motherland. I also have a $275 Taurus PT709 that has 3500 problem free rounds through it. God Bless

I do not think there is "Most reliable" ALL mauf. have problems. That said, My Kahr PM9 has been 100%
    Civil_Response likes this.
    02PSD4ME

kahr pm9/cm9

VIP Member
    When my search began for a small single stack 9mm for my wife, we tried the Taurus 709 as well as the Ruger LC9. Neither one remained in the house for a long time. The Taurus had function issues, and the Ruger trigger, to put it simply, SUCKED. Tried the Kahr (CW) line. For her the CW9 fit the bill, small (not as small as the CM) good trigger and have had no reliability issues. I was impressed enough by it, that I picked up a CW45 for myself, for those days when a 1911 wasn't my best option.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

FWIW: the kahr PM9 has had reports of many feeding issues, my friend bought one a few weeks ago and it went right back to them for this issue, 2 weeks on and not a word back from Kahr. I am not putting the gun down just relating some know problems.

VIP Member
    Khar CM9/PM9,

They are reliable and very accurate little firearms. I have been loving mine. The Ruger LC9 is reported to be reliable as well, but frankly the trigger blows on the LC9. I also hate the thumb safety. Pick up a Khar and Ruger side by side, and you will see that the Ruger looks a little cheap compared.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Anything mechanical can, and will fail every now and then. When it comes to reliability, all evidence is usually anecdotal. For example, I have a Walther PPS in 9mm. I have 1500 rounds through it with various types of ammo and have not experienced one failure. But as they say, your experience may be different.
    BritishAgent likes this.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I have the Ruger LC9 and happen to think it is an ideal carry gun. As concealable as a substantial caliber can be, and more accurate than a sub-compact should be.

I trust Ruger's reliability. When I compared the LC9 to Kahr's equivalents I did not find anything about the Kahr subcompacts that justified the price difference. I've read good things about Kahr's precision machining, but none of my 7 Rugers have ever failed to go BANG either.

The LC9's long trigger pull is to keep you from adding any more orifices below your belt-line. The thumb safety and loaded chamber indicator are the LC9's only flaw in my opinion. Those features are there to satisfy the hippies in CA. I do wish Ruger made a non-CA approved version for Americans. But, two boxes of ammo, and the trigger pull becomes muscle memory.

So, if you have tons of money laying around with no other need for it, get a Kahr... Or, send it to me :)

My Kahr K9 and MK9 have been 100%, for me at least.

Smith and Wesson 3913/3914 have no reliability issues that I have ever heard of. They are neat, slim little guns but you may want to shoot one first to be sure you don't mind the DA/SA transition and they may be bigger than what you want.
    aznav, chefjon and fast20 like this.
    What Would Gumby Do?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I just bought a Walther PPS. A little bigger than some of the others mentioned, but a fine firearm. Only shot a about 200 rounds through it, and it has had one issue but it may just be me and not used to the trigger. It seemed like it fired two rounds with one trigger pull. It did it twice. I called S&W and they said it may just be a break in issue, but sent me a prepaid mailer just in case I want to send it in. Otherwise, extremely accurate, comfortable and thinner than my Glock 26.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

My Kahr PM9 has been completely reliable. From what I've read and seen among friends with Kahr's, it's pretty black and white. If you get a bad one, nothing is likely to make it reliable. If you get a good one, it runs just fine. The only people I know who have had problems with Kahrs tend have the older ones and two of my friends bought used Kahrs that were likely giving the original owners trouble. Those folks I know who have bought them new in the past couple of don't have any problems

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I just bought a Walther PPS. A little bigger than some of the others mentioned, but a fine firearm. Only shot a about 200 rounds through it, and it has had one issue but it may just be me and not used to the trigger. It seemed like it fired two rounds with one trigger pull. It did it twice. I called S&W and they said it may just be a break in issue, but sent me a prepaid mailer just in case I want to send it in. Otherwise, extremely accurate, comfortable and thinner than my Glock 26.
    This is the first time I have ever heard of a Walther doubling. Is it possible that you inadvertently did a double tap? You might want to go to the Walther Forum under PPS and ask about this. Again, I would be very surprised if this were the gun. Let me know what you find out.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post
    I have the Ruger LC9 and happen to think it is an ideal carry gun. As concealable as a substantial caliber can be, and more accurate than a sub-compact should be.

I trust Ruger's reliability. When I compared the LC9 to Kahr's equivalents I did not find anything about the Kahr subcompacts that justified the price difference. I've read good things about Kahr's precision machining, but none of my 7 Rugers have ever failed to go BANG either.

The LC9's long trigger pull is to keep you from adding any more orifices below your belt-line. The thumb safety and loaded chamber indicator are the LC9's only flaw in my opinion. Those features are there to satisfy the hippies in CA. I do wish Ruger made a non-CA approved version for Americans. But, two boxes of ammo, and the trigger pull becomes muscle memory.

So, if you have tons of money laying around with no other need for it, get a Kahr... Or, send it to me :)
    Lets not for get the mag safety too! LOL...
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links