Conversation at a gun store about Glock

This is a discussion on Conversation at a gun store about Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a local gun store to buy some 9mm ammo they were selling for $10/box. Hard to beat that price and with my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Conversation at a gun store about Glock

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I went to a local gun store to buy some 9mm ammo they were selling for $10/box. Hard to beat that price and with my upcoming class, I bought a boat load. As I was speaking with the local clerk, here are some things he said:

• Gaston Glock is getting rather old (I believe he said in his 90s) and will probably not be around much longer
    • After he passes, things are going to change at Glock
    • Some of those changes include increased prices and decreased production to create “demand”.
    • He was not impressed with the differences between the 3rd and 4th gen guns.
    • His gun of choice is the XD. He said more XDs are sold than any other.

I asked him to show me the XDm. I really didn’t like it so much. Then he showed me the S&W M&P9. I don’t think he should have done that. That gun just felt right in my hand. I own 12 gabillion Glocks and very happy with the platform, but me thinks the M&P9 is going to be my next purchase.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Those "conversations" at gun stores (and I have had many in the vein that you describe) are no bettter (facts) than rumors or converstions from the internet....I find more "know it alls" (who dont) working those counters than I do actual humble knowledgable salesmen/women....unfortunately.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

• Gaston Glock is getting rather old (I believe he said in his 90s) and will probably not be around much longer
    • This is a safe prediction. Anyone could make it.
    • Another prediction that anyone would be safe to make.
    • Some of those changes include increased prices and decreased production to create “demand”.
    • Complete conjecture unless he attends high-level meetings in Austria.
    • An opinion for what it is worth.
    • Yet another subjective opinion and "more" needs to be qualified.

Mostly sounds like empty words.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Opinions are like elbows, everyone has a couple of them.OMO

We are all getting old(er)...no one gets out alive.

After each death...things change.

Capitalism works...

I'll be sticking with Glock...compared to the price of many other makes/models/platforms, still a bargain.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; September 11th, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
    ASSA9 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Gun stores are bad places The last one I went to I heard a little voice coming out of a case saying:Please take me home and get me out of here,its lonely.in here.What could I do,I just couldn't walk off and leave the little guy in there,so I had to take him home with me. sj

I'm an M&P 9c owner, and if I found that another gun platform performed significantly better than what I had, I'd change (assuming I could afford it). It'd be hard to find a better platform than Glock...though the best platform is the one the works and shoots best for YOU, and you can afford. It will be interesting to watch what happens when things switch over at Glock.
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

Cool

Gaston Glock facts.....

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Gaston Glock
    Born 19 July 1929 (age 82)
    Nationality Austria
    Occupation Engineer
    Known for Founder of Glock
    Spouse Delda Glock
    Children Brigitte Glock
    Gaston Glock, Jr
    Robert Glock

Gaston Glock (born July 19, 1929) is an Austrian engineer, and founder of the firearms company Glock. The Glock "safe-action" pistol is well regarded and has often been copied by other companies. The process of producing the Glock pistol includes the application of Tenifer, a patented metal treatment that hardens the slides.

In July 1999 Charles Ewert, a business associate of Glock, hired a French ex-mercenary to murder Glock (who was 70 years old at that time) with a mallet in a garage in Luxembourg in an apparent attempt to cover up embezzlement of millions from the Glock company.

Although Glock's injuries included seven head wounds and the loss of about a litre of blood, Glock was able to fend off the attack by striking the hitman twice. The hired killer, 67-year-old Jacques Pêcheur, was sentenced to 17 years in prison for the attack. Charles Ewert was sentenced to 20 years as a result of Pêcheur's testimony.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Gaston Glock is getting rather old (I believe he said in his 90s) and will probably not be around much longer
    After he passes, things are going to change at Glock
    Some of those changes include increased prices and decreased production to create “demand”.
    He was not impressed with the differences between the 3rd and 4th gen guns.
    His gun of choice is the XD. He said more XDs are sold than any other.
    - Gaston was born July 19, 1929, he is not in his 90's yet.
    -Maybe they will finally make a solid PCC, as that would be a great industry for them to get in.
    - If Glock was to do that, all it would do is drive more people to M&P's and XD's, and it wouldn't be good for them. Ever notice how all 3 are priced competitively with each other, and all fill the same niche in the SD firearms world? That is basic economics.
    - I've never been impressed with an XD that I have shot, but that is my opinion, if he likes it, good on him. But I don't know of many LE agencies that issue the XD.

But hey, he is entitled to his opinion, while he tried to sell you an XD, and affirm in his own mind that his choice is the best for everyone.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The M&Pc is a great choice!
    vista461 and oneshot like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

A Glockism

You either like it or you hate it.

I have not run into many people that are netural on this.
    msgt/ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    Gun stores are bad places The last one I went to I heard a little voice coming out of a case saying:Please take me home and get me out of here,its lonely.in here.What could I do,I just couldn't walk off and leave the little guy in there,so I had to take him home with me. sj
    Sir, you are a saint.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    • This is a safe prediction. Anyone could make it.
    • Another prediction that anyone would be safe to make.
    • Complete conjecture unless he attends high-level meetings in Austria.
    • An opinion for what it is worth.
    • Yet another subjective opinion and "more" needs to be qualified.

Mostly sounds like empty words.
    +1. He's (LGS guy) assuming that Gaston is running everything right now. Who's to say that this is true without knowing for sure one way or the other? Just because Mr. Glock hasn't passed away yet, it doesn't mean he's running everything down to every "t" that is crossed and every "i" that is dotted. It always amazes me when people act like they have the inside source. Usually they are farthest from the truth because their premise was based on false presuppositions. Also, who's to say that things will go down hill when Mr. Glock passes away? Is he the only qualified person on the planet that can properly run and manage Glock? Not likely.

Always be weary and suspicious whenever anyone comes along and tries to tell you that they know for sure what will happen in the future; no man knows what tomorrow holds.

Glock. That's what I call the wife's cooking. Ralph's Buick is the result of eating her Glock.
    msgt/ret likes this.

That's funny Dennis
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Sounds like he was expressing his opinion.... was he trying to sell you a Glock... "prices will go up later " ... or talking you out of one ? It sounds to me like he was just talking.....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links