G19 Gen3 vs. Gen4 question

This is a discussion on G19 Gen3 vs. Gen4 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm a soon to be G19 owner. I just ordered it from my local gun store, but since ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G19 Gen3 vs. Gen4 question

G19 Gen3 vs. Gen4 question

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm a soon to be G19 owner. I just ordered it from my local gun store, but since I'm in California, I have to wait 10 days. I'm in the military, so I'm getting it through Glock's blue label program. When talking with the salesman, I didn't specify whether I wanted Gen3 or Gen4, so I assume I'm getting a Gen3. None of the features on the Gen4 really stick out out as very important, especially since there seem to be some issues with the new recoil spring. But I can't shake the feeling that I'm buying an "older" new glock, since the Gen4s are out. Kinda like buying a new 2010 car, when the 2011s are out.

I admit, I don't totally understand the way this works, so bare with me if this is a stupid question. Since the Gen4s are out, is Glock still making the Gen3s? Or are the Gen3s being sold just the leftovers that the dealers are trying to get rid of? Do many people buy new Gen3s, instead of the Gen4s? I just don't want to feel like I should've bought the Gen4 instead.

Anyway, thanks in advance. The info I've gotten on this forum is what made me decide to go with the G19, so I already know that you guys know what you're talking about.

Thanks again.

2. Remove Ads

I am a dealer and if it helps at all I have more customers request specifically the gen 3 over gen 4 currently. I carry a gen 3 g26 everyday and love it and have thoroughly gone over the gen 4 glocks regularly and I don't think you are missing out on anything with the 3 vs. 4.

I prefer gen 3's over the 4's. And I also prefer the gen 2's over the gen 3's....go figure.

Thanks for your opinions. It's been very helpful.

VIP Member
    Gen 3's are still in production. They are both being produced, and I haven't heard anything about them discontinuing the 3's. You may want to contact the dealer to find out which they are selling you.

Personally, I have no use for Gen 4 Glocks. I like the Gen 3 versions just fine.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Ditto with what everyone else has said thus far. Nutnfancy did a booth review on Glock either this year or this past year. The Glock rep said that they are still making Gen 3s. From what I remember, he talked like that there weren't any plans to stop making them as of yet.

I also agree that you should check to see which one you are getting. Just b/c the Gen4 is the newer one, it isn't necessarily the one the store is trying to sell you. When I bought my gen3 a little over a year ago, the store sold me a gen3 and never even showed me a gen4. After I brought it home and my brother told me I had bought a gen3, I felt the same way you are mentioning now; that I had bought a carry over or something like that, etc. If that was the case, I felt like I should have perhaps gotten a better deal. It didn't bother me, however, to the extent that I ever went back to the store and stress my discomfort because I just reasoned that it was my own fault for not being a better informed consumer.

I may be wrong about this so please take it with a grain of salt but from what I understand, the flaws have been ironed out of the gen4s and the new ones don't have the issues the older ones have. I'm under the understanding that the stigma of the gen4 is just that, a stigma. I'm not sure if its fair for the new gen4s to carry along with them the stigma that's been left over from earlier runs, etc.

Congrats on your soon to be addition to your arsenal.

God bless and thank you for serving our country.

DCG

I haven't shot a Gen4, but I definitely like the larger mag release and the smaller grip than the Gen 3. I have to shift my grip to reach the mag release on the Gen 3.

I am a Gen 3 fan all the way.

I purchased a Gen 4 G 19 on June first and have not had any issues. The Gen 4 is working for me.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I own a 3rd gen G19. Never had a problem. Recently I shot a 3rd and 4th gen G23 back to back. 4th gen had noticeably less recoil. Almost close to my G19.

I have both. I have a G23 Gen 3, G27 Gen 3, and a G22 Gen 4. I prefer the Gen 4 totally. The smaller grip and the rough finish are so much more comfortable to me. I also like the larger mag release. I will never have another Gen 3. My Gen 4 22 has been 100% reliable.

If you have smaller hands then I would take a look at the Gen 4 as the grip is the biggest selling point.
    Otherwise you cant go wrong a Gen 3 19.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I have five Glocks, all are Gen-3...I prefer the Gen-3 over the Gen-4.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I, too, am in California ... and, like you, recently bought a Glock 19. Didn't really need it ... but knew that I eventually wanted a G19. I bought it now while I could still get a NIB Gen3 Glock 19. I did not want any "improved" Gen4 just to learn that hard way that Glock never should have messed with the original design.

YMMV

I have a Gen4 G26 and a buddy has a Gen3 G19. Depends on what you want. The Gen4 has a rough texture grip, larger and reversible mag release and less recoil. I am a lefty but my wife is a righty. I wanted the reversible release for when I get her a weapon and can change the G26 over. right now, I use my index finger. My buddy's G19 is fine, but the mag release is smaller and there is a little more recoil (different spring). Also, the Gen 4 costs about $50 more, but you get an extra mag (3 vs. the 2 with the Gen3). I bought it in late june and have fed 3,000 rds thru mine. Only 3 FTE and 1 FTF. All were cheap ammo (Tula/Wolf) or resulted from me deliberately placing random spent rounds in the mag to simulate a jam (and it did). Get what you feel comfortable with.

I have a gen3 g19 I bought a month ago and I love it ,I carry it everyday and on the weekends use it for competition although I have been thinking about taking my chances with a gen4 g19 for competition use only that way my edc g19 can be just that not a dual purpose gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links