Fired case enclosed

This is a discussion on Fired case enclosed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have noticed that whenever I buy a new firearm, there is always a fired case enclosed in a little envelope. What is the purpose ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fired case enclosed

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Fired case enclosed

I have noticed that whenever I buy a new firearm, there is always a fired case enclosed in a little envelope. What is the purpose of that and do I need to keep it?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Some states require that, mostly the ones with stricter gun control laws.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I think you get the fired case if your state doesn't require registration. In states that require registration, the fired case goes to the state to keep with the registration. I think???
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

IIRC that is the case of the "proof" and ballistic fingerprint round. Depending on state requirements, I know of no reason to keep it other than keeping box, paperwork, etc for resale.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    It's a requirement for Gun unfriendly states like CA, MA, MD and others. In thouse states it goes to the controlling agency for them to catalog and keep. States where it is not required it goes with the gun. No need to keep it. Of course there is no need for those states to keep it either, other than it gives them a warm fuzzy, after a few hundred rounds the firing pin imprint is going to be different anyway.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I thought it was a freeby to reload!
    Semper Fi
    WHEC724 and NIS350ZTT like this.

It's there to show you that there is money being spent irresponsibly by our governmnent. Not a single criminal case has been solved to cataloging spent cases.
    msgt/ret, BkCo1, cj and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    ...after a few hundred rounds the firing pin imprint is going to be different anyway.
    In the first place, that is incorrect, unless the nose of the pin/striker is deliberately altered. You're saying the pin will wear, etc., yes? True... but not enough to change anything on a microscopic level. In the second place, there are many other marks in the breech face area, which are transferred to the case upon firing, that are used to make an ID besides the firing pin impression.

To the OP... that supplied fired case is a federal requirement, to support those states which enter every handgun sold into the NIBIN system. It is a collossal waste of resources, and given that the NIBIN budget is about take a $10M hit, I wouldn't be surprised to see that practice stopped.

Don't get me wrong... NIBIN is a great tool, one that has solved many crimes. But entering new gun purchases into the system is simply a waste of time. More feel-good legislation; God spare us from all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    It's there to show you that there is money being spent irresponsibly by our governmnent. Not a single criminal case has been solved to cataloging spent cases.
    If you mean spent cases from new gun sales, you're probably correct.

A LOT of crimes have been solved through "cataloging" fired brass from crime scenes in the NIBIN system.

A side note relative to post #8

"Beretta polishes their breechfaces to make feeding more reliable. On of the students in our class was a firearms examiner for a state police agency, and he commented that matching brass cases from a Beretta was extremely difficult because they left no unique breechface marks due to this polishing."
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    If you mean spent cases from new gun sales, you're probably correct.

A LOT of crimes have been solved through "cataloging" fired brass from crime scenes in the NIBIN system.

Im talking about the cases that are in the box of the firearm you buy in the store. Not the cases found at a crime scene. On one of the many firearms forums I browse there was an article on this subject. Pretty big waste of time and money if you ask me.

It's some wise ass at the factory saying "nanny nanny boo-boo I got to fire your gun before you do"!
    afojc likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

All it is is a finger print round fired by the factory

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have bought my share (well...not quite all of my share yet) of new in box handguns in Texas over the last several years, and I don't remember ever having the spent casing in the box. And, I think everyone is aware that Texas is a very "firearms friendly state". Should I call all the manufacturers and request a refund?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    I have bought my share (well...not quite all of my share yet) of new in box handguns in Texas over the last several years, and I don't remember ever having the spent casing in the box. And, I think everyone is aware that Texas is a very "firearms friendly state". Should I call all the manufacturers and request a refund?
    Same here in NC boxes are usually marked “No fired case enclosed, not for sale in CA or MA”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links