Advantage Arms .22 conversion really malfunctioning

This is a discussion on Advantage Arms .22 conversion really malfunctioning within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my Glock 19 to the range and inserted the Advantage Arms .22 lr conversion kit on it. It misfed/stove topped/double fed so badly ...

Thread: Advantage Arms .22 conversion really malfunctioning

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I took my Glock 19 to the range and inserted the Advantage Arms .22 lr conversion kit on it. It misfed/stove topped/double fed so badly that the whole session was more practicing my malfunction drills than the ostensive purpose of drawing from concealment. I was using Remington Golden bullets.

Just wondering if others have the same issues and/or which ammo works best with this unit.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

JD
    Administrator
    Ditch the golden bullets, stick with CCI Mini-Mags

JD
    Administrator
    Do you have an aftermarket trigger bar?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Do you have an aftermarket trigger bar?
    No.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    No.
    Ok, good. As far as the Golden Bullets, I've had some bad batches, both the AA kit I had for my G21 and my Kimber 1911 kit have done very well with Mini-mags.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Ditch the golden bullets, stick with CCI Mini-Mags
    Ditto.

I have several thousand rounds through mine (G19). When clean, it will work fine with CCI SV (standard velocity/target ammunition) for ten magazines' worth or so, then it begins to choke a bit. Switching to Mini-Mags is good for another 250-300 rounds before it needs cleaning again.

I have three times as much SV as I do the Mini-mags; that's why I do it this way.

Anyway... those Golden Bullets are bulk-pack ammo, and made to a price point, as opposed to a level of quality. My grandsons have shot a lot of that crap through this AA/G19 kit and a pair of P22s they have. You can expect anywhere from two to a dozen or more dud cartridges per hundred. Sometimes, another striker hit on a different area of the rim will produce ignition on a dud... more often than not, its a dud, period.

Yes, CCI Mini-Mags are expensive. They're worth it.

JD
    Administrator
    My biggest issue with the Golden Bullets (other than misfires) is that I was finding a lot of spent brass that had ruptured and cracked, not a good sign.

I too have the AA kit for my Glock 19. I bought the Remington bullets (Green bulk box of 550) - I assume they were the "Golden" bullets you are talking about. Those were OK in my 10/22 rifle, but horrible in the AA kit.
    I bought the Federal bulk pack at Wal-Mart (was right next to the Remingtons) and have had a much better experience. Price point is similar, and they're still bulk, but they work well enough in the AA kit for me. I take the occasional dud or failure to eject as a training opportunity for clearing malfunctions. They still happen with the Federal, but much less frequently than with the Remington bulk.

I haven't tried the CCI Mini-Mags. I'm sure they're great and will add them to my shopping list, but for day-to-day, super-cheap practice, the Federals are sufficient for my needs.

IMHO, using the Mini Mags defeats the purpose of low cost training.

I've found that my AA kit is only reliable if you load it with 5-6 rounds. If you fully load the mag, it does not work well. Try it that way, and see if it helps.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Try American Eagle. It can be bought in a brick of 500 or so for about 2 dollars more than a brick of Remington Golden bullets. They are a little more powerful than the GB's, and infinitely more consistent. I can get away with the Remington stuff in a bolt gun, but can actually HEAR the difference between shots! Not a good sign for a gun that by definition can be finicky (22 semi). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Put that way, I can load 9mm for close to, or less, than what Mini-Mags cost.

I bought the thing for my grandsons, and trigger control practice. Cost of ammunition was never a consideration. Not having to police the brass is a bonus.

And I have six magazines for it, all of which work fine loaded to capacity.

I have had problems with the Remington bullets in the past malfunctioning in several of my 22's,I found that federal bulk 550 box runs really well in all my 22's,now my daughters mosquito needs premium 22's to function right
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

I've found that my AA kit is only reliable if you load it with 5-6 rounds. If you fully load the mag, it does not work well. Try it that way, and see if it helps.
    How does it defeat the purpose? Even if you buy CCI it's still a fraction of the cost of even the reasonable 9mm round.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Sponsored Links