Beretta Nano - redux

This is a discussion on Beretta Nano - redux within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I cant see how the nano beats out the pm9/cm9. Its larger with the same capacity. Its closer to the size of the pf9/lc9 but ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Beretta Nano - redux

twc
    I cant see how the nano beats out the pm9/cm9. Its larger with the same capacity. Its closer to the size of the pf9/lc9 but they give you an extra round. But who knows, it may be a better shooter than all of the above.

Edit: After looking at the specs on the mentioned above the nano is right in between the pm9/cm9 and the pf9/lc9. I think if its reliable(likely will be) it will be a great option. I think its a better looking gun than the competition.

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a G26 to me, nothing new here, nothing to see...
    Except it's 0.9in width: ie, the much desired "single stack Glock."
    While personally I am not interested in it, I will reiterate that I think it's only real competition in that particular size is the PF9 or the PPS, or maybe the LC9. The Kimber solo has already proven itself a lemon. I can't imagine it will have a worse trigger than the PF9, and while $200 more than the PF9, it's $200 less than a PPS, leaving the LC9 as it's main competition. If the trigger is better on the nano, and it proves reliable, I think Beretta has a winner.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Administrator
    I have looked at the other available smaller 9s and they really didn't do all that much for me.
    The Kel-Tec looks like crap & I refuse to do another Major "Fluff & Buff" on yet another KT in order to get it to run.
    The Kimber I won't even get into since I don't want create a firestorm in this thread.

Historically Beretta has an incredibly long history of producing smaller handguns that perform amazingly well especially with regard to the feed cycle.

At least I have never had a baby Beretta that failed to function.

This one seems very well thought out. It's got a lot of features that I like. The ergonomics look super good but, I'll need to actually handle one.

Beretta mags are always high quality so that is good.
    Easily adjustable sights.
    A FRONT that can be easily replaced. I like that.
    Tritium Night Sights available. I like that.
    No cheap black oxide coating on the barrel & slide. I really like that.
    Optional/different non-serial numbered frames to be made available. Neat but, I'm neutral on that.
    Ambi mag catch. - Nice
    Stainless rails & easily removable internals. I like that.
    Overbuilt for 9mm because it was built for .40 caliber. I like that.

Overall the quality looks to be very high so I personally an not going to "nix" it for an imagined problem that doesn't exist yet.

If it does eventually turn out to be a problem then somebody out there in America Land will invent a way to do a permanent and suitable override of it....as is always the case. We have a slew of creative & inventive "gun people" and highly qualified gunsmiths in the good ol' U.S. of A. that are always willing to make a dollar selling a high quality replacement aftermarket part.
    Brass63 likes this.

Indeed. I imagine there will be some YouTube DIY "striker defeat button" removal videos out there. And someone will make a plug for the hole...

Just wish the thing were smaller than a PM9...and not bigger. Ah well...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    10thmtn

"Just wish the thing were smaller than a PM9...and not bigger. Ah well..." ~~> I hear you on that.

Well, it's going to eventually be available in .40 which should be "interestingly snappy" to say the least.

I am wondering if it is "modular" enough so that folks will be able to purchase a complete aftermarket "top end" in .40 and have a two caliber option in one gun with possibly just a mag swap & maybe an easy ejector swap?
    That would be cool beans.

Regarding Beretta firearms...they (for sure) don't pay me to vouch for them but, I always liked them & I especially always liked the way they could get their really small guns AKA "The Mouse Guns" to feed & function so doggone well.
    They must be going on about 200 continuous years making guns by now with a decently solid and steadfast reputation. That is not to say that I have loved every single firearm that they have put out on the market.
    Because I have not.
    You know me...I'll be one of the first to open up my "big trap" if any feature turns out to be functionally problematic on any self-defense gun.
    I just don't want to create a problem where there isn't one yet. I never believed in doing that.
    On the flip side of the coin I DO understand your concern.

I will definitely tried/check this Nano.... I will like to see how much recoil, how good it feels, trigger, etc.. with this small style of firearms weight is not an issue for me... the biggest issue for me is how well I can control it when shooting back to back rounds on target ... so I'm looking forward to it.

Couldnt Beretta come up with a better name than NANO! When I first saw the name I thought Beretta was now making MP3 players or something. How bout the Beretta Tornado..or the Beretta MSP9. Anything but Nano.

I dont mind pulling the trigger on my G27 to dis-assemble...Ill keep my Glocks.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I am very interested in the Nano. For all those who pine for a single stack Glock 9mm, I say that I much prefer a single stack 9mm from a company that actually takes ergonomics and grip angle into consideration. Glock's only single stack (G36) is darn near as wide as their G19/G23 offerings, and not much smaller in other dimensions, although it is lighter. Glock has apparently never seen an actual single stack magazine, as they are supposed to be slim (duh). If you are going to make a single stack with a mag that is almost as wide as a double stack, and then design it with a club foot magazine pad that makes up part of the grip of the pistol, I'd say you've got some learning to do regarding the concept of a single stack pistol.

The Nano really would have no competition outside of the Walther PPS, if it's got a typical short-reset trigger like a Glock or M&P. All other pistols of this size have a long DA trigger (Kahr PM/CM9, Kimber Solo, Kel-Tec PF9, Ruger LC9) with a long reset. Kahr's trigger in particular is especially nice and smooth, but it is still long with a long reset, like a DA revolver. I've never tried the Solo trigger, but I own a PF9, and the trigger is not the best, although manageable. Having owned the LC9 for about 10 minutes, I can say that the trigger on that piece is truly horrible, especially for a subcompact pistol. The Taurus 709 Slim has some sort of DA/SA trigger, as far as I can tell, but it is, in the end, a Taurus. No thanks.

Given my preference for short reset triggers and striker fired weapons, the Nano wins over the PPS for me, due to the American style mag release button vs. Walther's European design. The ease of changing the sights on the Nano would be a bonus, as is the lack of a mag disconnect safety or external safety levers. I've pocket carried the PM9, PPS, and G26 (chunky, but can be done) in the past, so I really don't think the Nano's dimensions are a problem for pocket carry, for me at least. If the Nano will have different grip frames with 7 or 8 round mags in the future, this may be a neat little belt gun, slim enough to tuck away under a T-shirt and forgo pocket carry altogether. I've never had an issue with Beretta mags, something I can't say about Kahr's terrible 9mm mag design, which dumps rounds if the mags get jostled in a pocket or even a mag carrier. (Never had that problem with Kahr 40 or 45 mags, just the 9mm) I much prefer a mag that holds the rounds in place solidly.

As long as reliability and ergonomics prove to be A+, I intend to pick one up a few months after they've been on the market. The only thing that I don't care for is the little striker release "safety" button, but I can live with it if function is not affected. The pistol seems to be well built from the video, but I'd have to see one in person, of course. Overall, I look forward to handling, and possibly owning one.

One question for the Beretta rep. Is the 9mm Nano rated for +P ammo? I'm guessing it is, since it's based on a design built for the .40.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    ....... The Taurus 709 Slim has some sort of DA/SA trigger, as far as I can tell, but it is, in the end, a Taurus. No thanks.

I am guessing you have never actually tried the Taurus PT709 trigger, it is actually SA/DA, single action most of the time and only double action if there is misfire with the round, where you can pull the trigger again to retry firing the round, or instead you can just do the normal drill of tap, rack, assess the target, and bang if need be. Also The PT709 is one of the few single stacks that can use +P but not +P+. I hope this helps. God Bless

Administrator
    Mork & Mindy ~ Nanu Nanu

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Couldnt Beretta come up with a better name than NANO! When I first saw the name I thought Beretta was now making MP3 players or something. How bout the Beretta Tornado..or the Beretta MSP9. Anything but Nano.

I dont mind pulling the trigger on my G27 to dis-assemble...Ill keep my Glocks.

twc
    Yeah the name sucks. Nano? Wth it sounds like a mini mp3 player. Of course they could have named it CRAP and I would still buy if it was better than the competition.

Using my google-fu skills I guess Nano in Italian means:

adj. dwarf

n. dwarf, runt, manikin, midget

I hope that clears things up. God Bless

mrecanatini,

So, when may we expect to actually see one of these at a dealer, and when will they be shipping in quantity?

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with any of the features, and I had a really excellent experience with a PX4 I used to own. The size is right for me. I am looking for something to fit in-between my LCP and my Glock 26. Plus I like the price.

It looks like the single stack 9mm that Glock should've made IMO.

I like it. I'll be keeping an eye out for one to check out. I think it's well worth the quoted price.

Good Job Beretta!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links