Beretta Nano - redux - Page 6

Beretta Nano - redux

This is a discussion on Beretta Nano - redux within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ^^^ Fitch ^^^ Read that the Sig P290 had some gremlin issues and it's in the $600. range When Ruger started hyping their LC9 it ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Beretta Nano - redux

^^^ Fitch ^^^ Read that the Sig P290 had some gremlin issues and it's in the $600. range

When Ruger started hyping their LC9 it was " the next gun you need to get " it has its following and hasn't had any real issues to read of as you would expect from any upstanding reliable manufacturer and their CS is fantastic too, but like I said I'm glad I don't live in California. If it didn't have all the un-needed disputed extras and it's a little big < little big > which I could accept, I would probably own one now.

Just have to wait and see what Beretta's Nano has to offer to trump the present mini-9 market

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    ^^^ Fitch ^^^ Read that the Sig P290 had some gremlin issues and it's in the $600. range
    Thanks. I guess I'm not surprised. A bit dissapointed but not surprised.

It may have some early issues. It hasn't been out very long. I'll keep my eye on it. If it proves out or gets fixed, it's a real good candidate for size and feel. It and the Solo come the closest to being actual "pocket" nines in my pockets, but the Solo has apparently had some serious issues. The favorable review in American Rifleman didn't persuade me they've been fixed yet though it tried. I have seen some favorable online reviews of the P290. Nothing in Gun test that I recall, I should check their web site.

The SIG P238 had some issues early on, but they fixed them and it's a great pocket .380 now. Only pocket .380 my wife is willing to shoot, and she offers to go shoot just to shoot it. My LCP had issues early that were fixed. For me, the LCP is best for the money in pocket .380's. That said, for right handed folks able to live with SAO, IMO the P238 is the best available pocket .380. Gun test gave the P238 high marks.

I bought an LC9 inspite of my initial instincts because I like my LCP and because of Ruger's reputation. I tried to like the LC9 but did not like how it shot, the looooooooooooooong lost in the fog trigger pull, the mud fence ugly loaded chamber indicator, or the magazine disconnect. It is not a supersized LCP as it was advertised, it's an oversize Californicated abomination. So I sold it.

When Ruger started hyping their LC9 it was " the next gun you need to get " it has its following and hasn't had any real issues to read of as you would expect from any upstanding reliable manufacturer and their CS is fantastic too, but like I said I'm glad I don't live in California. If it didn't have all the un-needed disputed extras and it's a little big < little big > which I could accept, I would probably own one now.

Just have to wait and see what Beretta's Nano has to offer to trump the present mini-9 market
    I agree, the Beretta Nano may be "the one", we'll just have to see. I really do not like the looooooooong light trigger pulls. I have trouble convincing myself they are something I want to live with. I like the trigger on my two Glocks. I like the trigger on my wife's P238 a lot. I tolerate the trigger and the painful recoil on the LCP because everything else about it is just what I'm looking for, though I may end up supplementing it with a P238 for myself. I love to shoot the P238. That little gun has less recoil than my Walther PPK/S and is a lot smaller.

Meanwhile, between the G19, G26, PPK/S, and LCP, I can always find "something" to pack. It's 35F this morning, hiding the 19 under the warm clothes is a piece of cake - maybe the onlly virtue of that temperature.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Don’t understand what it is but some manufacturers are able to get it right, from the get go, and yet some whom have been doing it for many more years, for some reason can’t? Just like making a car, a computer, a what ever. Yet they might be different companies, they are all make the same things? Is it their engineering, their cost cutting efforts, or they just don’t care and make it too, just get it out there for sale yet knowing there’s a problem and, going on the statistics that, they will deal with it later?

Because when you buy some stuff, say like a pair of pants, and they don’t fit, you can just take um back, and can you ask for and just get your money back? Yes. But with some stuff you’re stuck with it and, the dealer/manufacturers know this and, they just don’t seem to care and what to just sell it to you and, you now only have four options and, they all know it too!

Either you can try to get it fixed, you can try to fix it yourself, or you can sell it and get something else … or number four; you can just live with it which is what the manufacturer is counting on most.

Now there are some manufactures’ that have impeccable CS records and most of us buy their stuff. But, they make good stuff too, so for those two reasons they are mostly who we buy from.

But then there are those that don’t give a hoot and make not so good stuff, and yet some of us *still buy* their stuff, and their CS, when you call them for help, will just hang-up on you. Why would you support a company like that?

Is it that some manufacturers see something, a system that works so they try to clone it? Some have been accused of hearing “your firearm is just a refined clone of theirs!” Yes, it might be, but it works and looks better then theirs. And it might cost a little more … but it *does work better* and then it might be less expensive too {sometimes.

Then there are those that clone a monster-child too. Because they have to tweak a patented part so they don’t get involved in a lawsuit, and it takes time for them to refine their engineer’s mechanical changes? But by then, depending on their brands name, they may never recover but they still sell enough to stay in business some how?

Or they know the last time we made this it wasn’t quite right so we changes some things and hope it works out this time, but it still doesn’t?

Like the old Hushpuppy commercial … “We can make it cheaper but we can’t make it dumber!” Well some seem to make it more costly … and less reliable too.

Why do some magazines write such favorable reviews and yet the forum range reports by those that have bought and fired them, in our real-world, these real-time reviews come up way short??

I don’t get how some of these firearms cost so much more then others and are not something I would stake my survival on *at all*! Yet one that cost about half the price I would. Can someone explain that to me, and to quote Ricky Ricardo … “Lucy, you’ve got some `splainin to do!!”

Woooo that thing is freaking pressure-treated 2x4 ugly!!! Yah but will it go *bang* 99.999999999999999% of the time when I pull the trigger? You betcha!!! OK, I’m sold, because that’s what personally I’m looking for in a firearm. I want one that will help me out of a freaking life treating jam with some BG that popped out ah nowhere when called upon, not one that will win a booty contest and just say *chaaaa-lick* sorry I can’t help you … oops now what?!!? YMMV

Is everything *man-made* perfect? No, but some stuff is 99.999999999999999% of the time proven to be and is that what I’ll be packin too stake my life on? … you betcha!! And we all know or at least most of or some of us do, that read around know what firearms those are.

“So a standard break in before I trust a gun for carry, I don’t know … for me … is usually about a 1,000 rounds!!”

Example Only YMWV:
    The least expensive 9mm store-bought round is about $.30 a round < I said a-boot even WWB from Wally-World > times 1,000 round equals a-boot $300. plus trips to the shooting range if you can not shoot in your backyard or off your front porch swing are about $15. plus targets, plus mileage, plus time spent shooting, plus how long will your hand holdout to shoot that many rounds so how trips to the range is it going to take, and if you do have any issues what are they, what is it going to take to remedy them, and now start over again at round zero? But add to that now if I have to shoot 1,000 rounds of my SD ammo that’s what, at least two or three times the store bought cost? Again YMWV

Well I don’ know about you but *I do not* have the time or resources to do that. And if it takes that much effort to go through, to fell warm and fuzzy about what I’m CCW’ing, then I’m switching to a Crocodile Dundee Style of protection! OK, most say, so shoot a couple boxes of what ever to make sure it works, so you know how it feels to shoot it and where it’s going impact, and that is enough to know that your firearm doesn’t need a tweak or trip back to where it was made { like I said nothing is perfect }. So they, whom ever they are, suggest about 200 rounds to break it in, and a box or two of your SD ammo. That seems like a reasonable price of doing shootin … but 1,000 rounds???

I could name names here but most know for whom they are, and just because one model they make is a Flawless-Homerun, another might need-z a tweak or two once it hits the streets, before it too is a winner for them.

So bottom line is … yes, we are human and we got ah have the most up to date stuff, to one up the neighborhood in the range-lane next door … but the rule of thumb’s I’ve read from those in the know, whom ever they may be on your list is … “Don’t buy till its been out for a bit”, or do they mean *fools rush in where wise men fear to tread??* Yes, some first-runners are a homerun but how many?

Or in firearm translation *some carry it cuz it’s the newest thang and it looks kool, but I carry it because it’s proven to work and go baahh-bang 99.999999999999999% of the time!* and again Your Mileage Will Vary

A wise man once said “For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature { the laws of physics/the character of physical law } can't be fooled. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.”{Richard Phillips Fernman

And I hope you never have to pull your CC … piece out!!

WOW looooooooooooooong read but made some sense? Not all irrelevant but once more Your Mileage Will Vary

Who's handled one?
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Don’t understand what it is but some manufacturers are able to get it right, from the get go, and yet some whom have been doing it for many more years, for some reason can’t? Just like making a car, a computer, a what ever. Yet they might be different companies, they are all make the same things? Is it their engineering, their cost cutting efforts, or they just don’t care and make it too, just get it out there for sale yet knowing there’s a problem and, going on the statistics that, they will deal with it later?

Because when you buy some stuff, say like a pair of pants, and they don’t fit, you can just take um back, and can you ask for and just get your money back? Yes. But with some stuff you’re stuck with it and, the dealer/manufacturers know this and, they just don’t seem to care and what to just sell it to you and, you now only have four options and, they all know it too!

Either you can try to get it fixed, you can try to fix it yourself, or you can sell it and get something else … or number four; you can just live with it which is what the manufacturer is counting on most.

Now there are some manufactures’ that have impeccable CS records and most of us buy their stuff. But, they make good stuff too, so for those two reasons they are mostly who we buy from.

But then there are those that don’t give a hoot and make not so good stuff, and yet some of us *still buy* their stuff, and their CS, when you call them for help, will just hang-up on you. Why would you support a company like that?

Is it that some manufacturers see something, a system that works so they try to clone it? Some have been accused of hearing “your firearm is just a refined clone of theirs!” Yes, it might be, but it works and looks better then theirs. And it might cost a little more … but it *does work better* and then it might be less expensive too {sometimes.

Then there are those that clone a monster-child too. Because they have to tweak a patented part so they don’t get involved in a lawsuit, and it takes time for them to refine their engineer’s mechanical changes? But by then, depending on their brands name, they may never recover but they still sell enough to stay in business some how?

Or they know the last time we made this it wasn’t quite right so we changes some things and hope it works out this time, but it still doesn’t?

Like the old Hushpuppy commercial … “We can make it cheaper but we can’t make it dumber!” Well some seem to make it more costly … and less reliable too.

Why do some magazines write such favorable reviews and yet the forum range reports by those that have bought and fired them, in our real-world, these real-time reviews come up way short??

I don’t get how some of these firearms cost so much more then others and are not something I would stake my survival on *at all*! Yet one that cost about half the price I would. Can someone explain that to me, and to quote Ricky Ricardo … “Lucy, you’ve got some `splainin to do!!”

Woooo that thing is freaking pressure-treated 2x4 ugly!!! Yah but will it go *bang* 99.999999999999999% of the time when I pull the trigger? You betcha!!! OK, I’m sold, because that’s what personally I’m looking for in a firearm. I want one that will help me out of a freaking life treating jam with some BG that popped out ah nowhere when called upon, not one that will win a booty contest and just say *chaaaa-lick* sorry I can’t help you … oops now what?!!? YMMV

Is everything *man-made* perfect? No, but some stuff is 99.999999999999999% of the time proven to be and is that what I’ll be packin too stake my life on? … you betcha!! And we all know or at least most of or some of us do, that read around know what firearms those are.

“So a standard break in before I trust a gun for carry, I don’t know … for me … is usually about a 1,000 rounds!!”

Example Only YMWV:
    The least expensive 9mm store-bought round is about $.30 a round < I said a-boot even WWB from Wally-World > times 1,000 round equals a-boot $300. plus trips to the shooting range if you can not shoot in your backyard or off your front porch swing are about $15. plus targets, plus mileage, plus time spent shooting, plus how long will your hand holdout to shoot that many rounds so how trips to the range is it going to take, and if you do have any issues what are they, what is it going to take to remedy them, and now start over again at round zero? But add to that now if I have to shoot 1,000 rounds of my SD ammo that’s what, at least two or three times the store bought cost? Again YMWV

Well I don’ know about you but *I do not* have the time or resources to do that. And if it takes that much effort to go through, to fell warm and fuzzy about what I’m CCW’ing, then I’m switching to a Crocodile Dundee Style of protection! OK, most say, so shoot a couple boxes of what ever to make sure it works, so you know how it feels to shoot it and where it’s going impact, and that is enough to know that your firearm doesn’t need a tweak or trip back to where it was made { like I said nothing is perfect }. So they, whom ever they are, suggest about 200 rounds to break it in, and a box or two of your SD ammo. That seems like a reasonable price of doing shootin … but 1,000 rounds???

I could name names here but most know for whom they are, and just because one model they make is a Flawless-Homerun, another might need-z a tweak or two once it hits the streets, before it too is a winner for them.

So bottom line is … yes, we are human and we got ah have the most up to date stuff, to one up the neighborhood in the range-lane next door … but the rule of thumb’s I’ve read from those in the know, whom ever they may be on your list is … “Don’t buy till its been out for a bit”, or do they mean *fools rush in where wise men fear to tread??* Yes, some first-runners are a homerun but how many?

Or in firearm translation *some carry it cuz it’s the newest thang and it looks kool, but I carry it because it’s proven to work and go baahh-bang 99.999999999999999% of the time!* and again Your Mileage Will Vary

A wise man once said “For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature { the laws of physics/the character of physical law } can't be fooled. The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.”{Richard Phillips Fernman

And I hope you never have to pull your CC … piece out!!

WOW looooooooooooooong read but made some sense? Not all irrelevant but once more Your Mileage Will Vary
    Ummmm.......ok.

So, anyone handled a Nano yet?
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

jrs
    I've been waiting to see and handle one myself. Nobody here in upstate NY has them yet. Was told by Gander Mtn that even though they've been shipped from Beretta, they don't expect to see them in the stores locally before December/January. I also find it interesting that they've disappeared from Gander's website in the past couple of days.

Some posters, three I think, have reported shootin it on the Beretta Forum but no real range report as they all just shot maybe 6 or 12 rounds ... a mag or two at their LGS because they were there while the Beretta rep was there showing it off.

A couple said the trigger felt kinda Glock like, one said but a bit smoother. One said its quality was similar to his Walter PPS if not better with a smoother trigger??

You would think that by now they would have passed out a few of them to a couple of the more renown range-reviewers. The only write up I've seen so far outside of the videos produced through Beretta is the one in Guns & Ammo which sparked my interest in handling one already, but I guess at this point being it's a Beretta their going on their reputation with all the supposed anticipation waiting upon it showing up on the shelves.

Getin itchy over here to see one so I guess it's workin ... I was thinking of getting a CM9 but they seem to finicky for my dollar, if it weren't for all the California Customization of the LC9 I'd get one of those, just leaves my choice personally, with the PF9 or the Nano but {tho` your desire may vary

jrs
    this review was posted 11/3/11
    Review: Beretta Nano

also review & video from guns.com
    Beretta Nano (VIDEO) - Guns News and Guns Reviews at Guns.com
    the video was posted to youtube on 11/8/11

Think I will stick with my M&P, Glock 19/23 and LCP

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links