Subcompact CCW Pistols, Springfield vs. Sig

This is a discussion on Subcompact CCW Pistols, Springfield vs. Sig within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to the forum and my first post on the board. I have narrowed my search for a subcompact pistol to carry to two models. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subcompact CCW Pistols, Springfield vs. Sig

Subcompact CCW Pistols, Springfield vs. Sig

New to the forum and my first post on the board.

I have narrowed my search for a subcompact pistol to carry to two models. First is the Sig P250 subcompact that was update this last June to have an accessory rail. Here is a link to the updated model: Sig Sauer P250 Subcompact with Accessory Rail | Shooting Illustrated
    The other gun is the Springfield Armory XD subcompact. Here is the link for that pistol: Springfield XD Sub Compact Pistol - XDPistols.com

I have no interest in the 9MM, the minimum that I would consider is the .40. The Sig firearm comes in the .40 and the .357 Sig. The .357 Sig has perked my interest. Ammo is not readily available but can be found. I have looked for the Sig P250 subcompact online chambered in the .357 Sig but have not found one yet. So the guns chambered in the .357 Sig are somewhat scarce as well. From what I have read the federal law enforcement use the Sig chambered in the .357 Sig as well as the Mississippi HWY Patrol. Overall I like the Sig and feel it is a quality weapon. The Sig pistol is made in Germany (I think but am not absolutely sure on that issue).

The Springfield XD subcompact is chambered in .40 and I have read on a few sites that it comes in .45 ACP as well. The Springfield website does not show this. If anyone can confirm that the Springfield comes in a .45 in their subcompact line that information would be helpful. The Springfield has a couple of features that the Sig did not have. It has a tab on the top of the slide that tells you by feel if a round is in the chamber. It also has a tab on the back of the action that tells you by feel if the gun is cocked. Two very nice features that I wish the Sig had, but not necessarily a deal-breaker. Springfield also has a promotion going on now that if you purchase a XD pistol you can get two extra clips at no additional cost. The Springfield XD pistol is made in Croatia.

I did want an accessory rail and now both guns have one since Sig updated the P250 last June. I would like something a little larger then a .40 but still in a subcompact pistol.

I would be interested in hearing comments from the Springfield and Sig owners.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I have owned both and shot them quite a bit. First off the P250 is not made in Germany (Exeter NH). I think the XD is the better firearm out of the two. Sigs are great, but I am not a believer in the P250. Mine had some reliability issues (had an early one) and I never trusted it. I have owned a few XD's and never had one issue.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

eb
    I have not had that particular Sig, but I do have the XD. Its been perfectly reliable for me, and is sized pretty well for carry IMHO.

Have you looked at the Smith M&Ps? They are quite comfy to hold in my opinion. I haven't bought one yet, but have not ever read about problems with them. Definitely worth a look...
    Product: Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .40 S&W

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I had an XD (4" model) and I own two Sig 250 Subcompacts. My XD choked on +p ammo so I traded it off. It was also too large for comfortable carry. My Sig 250 Sub (40 S&W) is my everyday carry. It is comfortable for carry and extremely accurate. Each of my 250s have been absolutely flawless. I like the fact that there are no unnecessary controls, and the trigger resets each time you squeeze the trigger, so it you needed a second strike for some reason, you can squeeze the trigger again, like a revolver.
    From all accounts I've read, the post 2010 models are bug free. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 250.

As mentioned above, the Smith M&P Compact is a very nice gun, with good reliability. It is striker fired, and made in the USA, and offers you choices of back straps to customize the grip to your taste. It is nearly the exact size and weight of the 250 Subcompact; but it does cost more than the 250, and doesn't come with night sights like most of the sig models. The XD is made in Croatia.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I think the frames are in fact made in Germany, the slide in NH. I know the 2022's are that way.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input fellows. Can anyone tell me if Springfield Armory makes a subcompact in a .45? Also am I correct in my findings that the Sig P250 chambered in a .357 Sig hard to find?

supposedly the new P250s have the problems fixed. i cant really tell about the XD, my friend has one and its been flawless
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

I do not think Springfield makes a sub-compact 45 I believe (will have to check) it comes in a 4 inch and up barrel. Having not owned the Sig I am very fond of all of my Springfields.

Springfield Armory Website XD does make a XD Compact 45 but not in a Sub Compact.

I have carried the Sub Compact in 40 S&W for close to 5 years now and is my primary carry gun with out an issue.
    Something to consider is Customer Service and Springfield Armory has one of the best in my opinion. I have seen on other forums where someone blew up their XD do to an overcharge of powder and the replaced and or repaired, I think for under $100, how many companies do you think will do that for their customers?

I have never had an issue with a failure with it, I do carry Speer Gold Dot 165 gr. and have shot numerous brands of ammo through it with out an issue.
    I see one person mention that they had an issue with +P, truthfully I have never been concerned in buying +P the 40 S&W has plenty of punch and speed for self defense.
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I would advise you to rent or plan a range trip with friends that own those models so you can shoot them yourself. I own an XD .40 Service Model 4" Bbl. and a Sig P229 SCT in .40. My XD has been completely reliable through ~2000 rounds. While the classic P22X series Sig's are top notch firearms I would be apprehensive of the P250 due to it's longstanding reliability issues (claimed to be fixed now). I've owned five P series pistols and do not recall any failures. A pistol, like a car, is something best to be purchased after a test drive.

I personally think the XD line is very poorly balanced and feels awkward in the hand. The P250s I have shot are typical SIG accurate, but have a long creepy trigger on them. I suggest you also look at the P2000SK from HK. Or a Glock 27.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'd recommend a Springfield EMP in .40 over both of 'em, m'self.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ There's that, definitely.

There's also Kahrs to consider - which I actually consider more to be true "Sub-Compacts," rather than the XD/XDm, which I'd more fit into the "Compact" category. And also, of-course, the Glocks.....but the OP has already stated that he's narrowed down his choices.

In all honesty, Stoner, which one do you shoot better? For me, that would be the deciding factor. The P250 is a DAO, the XD is a striker-fired "single action"...there's going to be considerable differences in how the guns handle, from just that alone.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    If you are looking for a smallish 45 ACP I can surely recommend you look at the Glock 36. Six rd. mag +1 gives you 7 rounds of 45 ACP. I have one and it's a great carry gun. Single stack makes the grip thin, and it is almost the same size as the Glock 19 otherwise. Even though it is light weight, it's a soft shooter.

And in answer to your other question, Sig 250s in 357 have been a little scarce. Seems like many of the guys on the Sig forum converted to 357 subcompacts via X-change kits, rather than buying them like that initially.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

OP -

I have the XD40 Subcompact. It was given to me as a gift. I honestly wanted a Glock, but since I've had the XD, it's been a very good gun. Previous owner put 2500 rounds through it, I've got about 350 to date, and so far it has not had a single FTE, FTF, or Stovepipe. It's super easy to disassemble and clean. Lots of aftermarket parts exist for it (Lasers, Tritium sights, holsters). Does have some recoil, hands and wrists usually tire after 75-100 rounds, but is pretty accurate.

I did have one problem with one of the extra 12 rnd mags that I purchased. The feed lip got bent and would not chamber rounds. I called Springfield and within a week, a new 12 round mag was sitting at my front door.

Overall, a great company, would not hesitate one bit to recommend them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links