Looking for a .22 pistol

This is a discussion on Looking for a .22 pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No... not for everyday CC. Our government game lands in my area have a stupid law that states you cannot carry any handgun larger than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking for a .22 pistol

Looking for a .22 pistol

No... not for everyday CC. Our government game lands in my area have a stupid law that states you cannot carry any handgun larger than a .22 with a barrel no longer than 6 inches. I spend quite abit of time trout fishing and other activities on these lands so being the law abiding citizen I am considering a small .22 auto pistol.

These are the ones Ive found, Walther P22, Sig Mosquito, Bersa Thunder. I like the size of the Walther but you hear alot of bad reviews on these. Jams, cheap parts etc. I know nothing about the Sig or Bersa.

So can you reccomend any others? I have a Ruger Single Six but want something smaller and in the auto platform.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I would take my Ruger Mark III 22/45, because it operates similarly to my 1911 in terms of controls and feel.

I see you carry a Glock, why not get a conversion kit, then you can use the same holster as normal?
    10thmtn likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a Sig Mosquito. It is a great gun as long as I use CCI mini mags. If I try some other ammo, I have issues (FTF/FTE).
    Walmart sells 100 rounds of mini mags for $6.99.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Personally, I would take my Ruger Mark III 22/45, because it operates similarly to my 1911 in terms of controls and feel.

I see you carry a Glock, why not get a conversion kit, then you can use the same holster as normal?
    Hey... good idea. I forgot about the conversion kits. I looked at them last year and it was almost impossible to find one. Has the demand cooled off some?

Hmmm...so do I spend $250-300 on a kit or a new gun? I really like the little Walther...if they are dependable.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I have the Walther P22. It has most of the issues that other's talk about. It almost always fails to feed the first round off the top of the magazine. You have to tap the back of the slide to get it to feed. After that, the other 9 rounds usually load fine. It does have the occasional FTF or FTE. Not too bad, though. It is a really neat gun and it is fun to shoot. I'm not sure I could recommend it as a serious weapon though, just based on its reliability. I also looked at the Sig Mosquito but thought it was a bit too large and mimics that 1911 style which I don't care for. The Bersa would probably be my next choice.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I must say the Bersa looks like a better made gun than the Walther...for less money.
    Bersa Thunder 22* Semi-Automatic 22 LR Pistol
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Browning Buckmark is not THAT big??????
    Also a great shooter!
    swiftyjuan likes this.

VIP Member
    I have a P22 and it's been great, use good ammo and the slide release. I also keep it very clean. I also have a Kimber .22 conversion which amazes me on the accuracy.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Another vote for the Ruger MKIII 22/45.
    Get the new one that is already threaded for a suppressor.
    Then stick a suppressor on it when you shoot it...that way you wont scare the fish.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Why not look at some of the .22 DA revolvers on the market, especially if you can go .22mag. Given your limitations, I can't think of a better option.

I have a Buckmark and Kimber conversion kit, but would hate to trust my life to either.

I like my Walther P22, but it does have the occasional issue with a FTF... Just seems to not strip one off sometimes for some reason. since it is just a target plinker it is a moot point IMO.

DID NOT like the Sig Mosquito. This comes from a Sig Fan....
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

eb
    I've got a Walther P22 and a Sig Mosquito. Both run quite well on CCI mini-mag ammo. I've put about 1000 rounds thru the P22 and have not had any problems at all really.

As a side note, the .22 I plink most with is a Heritage Rough Rider (like your single six). Its a cheap $220 "cowboy gun" that has worked great. It comes with a cylinder for .22 magnum which is very easy to switch out, and a nice touch. It'll eat ANY .22 ammo as opposed to the P22 and Mosquito which are quite finicky on anything but CCI mini-mags.

Bersa Thunder .22 all the way. Basically the same gun as the Bersa Thunder .380, just in .22 LR. I owned the older Model 23 Bersa .22, and it was a great gun and lots of fun to shoot. Very reliable and accurate, and not nearly as picky about ammo as my current Walther P22. New Thunder .22 in nickel is on my short list.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I had a Ruger Mark <something, I don't remember>. The good was it was a great .22. Very accurate. The bad was it was THE worst gun I had for take down and reassembly. I had so much trouble with it, that I finally sold it. I have a .22 conversion kit for my Glock but if you are going to target shoot, I would not recommend that. Just not that accurate. They are better, in my opinion, for practicing drills at a lower cost in the gun you would normally carry.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Well if your looking for something smaller than a Ruger Single Six in the auto platform that sort of elements a few options. There are quite a few "full size" .22 auto platforms out there, but they really aren't smaller than the single six. I would go with the Bersa, I own a thunder 380 and I am constantly amazed at it's reliability.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links