Hard Chrome or Satin Nickel

This is a discussion on Hard Chrome or Satin Nickel within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning on adding a HK P7 PSP to the family this week, and am unsure which finish to go with. Any P7 owners have ...

Thread: Hard Chrome or Satin Nickel

I'm planning on adding a HK P7 PSP to the family this week, and am unsure which finish to go with. Any P7 owners have experience with these finishes? Generally speaking, which is more durable over the long haul? I'd imagine hard chrome, but not sure.

JD
    Administrator
    Go Chrome.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Go Chrome.
    What he said..
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a Sig in nickel, and from the beginning it started to show scratches and finish wear. I think chrome is a harder finish and will last longer.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Administrator
    Some gun refinishers will do Industrial Hard Chrome over a base Electroless Nickel.
    That is a very ideal gun finish & the best of both worlds if you find a firearm plater that can do it.

Most only put the 2 layers on when they are plating an aluminum framed gun. You cannot hard chrome aluminum - so they HAVE to put nickel on first in order to do that.

Many hard chromers WON'T do it, however, because it involves two layers of plating. And, you can risk tolerance changes.

I would go with hard chrome or NP3, personally. NP3 is a better rust protector, but hard chrome is a more scratch resistant finish. If it is a carry gun you may sweat on, I'd go with NP3.

I have had several guns hard chromed over the years. When I did my first one, I actually did a LOT of reading. Despite what the internet "experts" say, hard chrome is NOT a great rust resistant finish. It is true that it IS more rust resistant than some finishes. However, there are microscopic cracks in hard chrome that CAN allow hard chrome to rust. I have seen many rusted hard chrome guns over the years. When it happens, you're screwed - and to fix it, you really have to have it re-plated.

These cracks can vary from specimen to specimen... So, one guy may NEVER have his gun rust, and someone else may have it rust in a month from concealed carry....

But, if you are carrying OWB in a leather holster - nothing resists holster leather holster wear like hard chrome. I carried a P99c with a hard chromed slide DAILY for 3 years. Gun looked brand new when I sold it.

go chrome over nickel... it wont dull like the nickel..

or go melonite

https://sites.google.com/site/freeba...lonite-and-qpq

VIP Member
    The P7 is made from some of the finest quality steel ever made. I had one and I too was considering a finish. There is one floating around here on the forum and it looks fantastic in a matte black finish with Karl Nill grips.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I vote for the hard chrome.

Virgil Tripp used to do a fabulous job hard chroming P7 pistols but no longer offers chroming. I think Ford's would be my next bet for Hard chroming a P7
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Hard Chrome with the outside of the gun bead blasted before the finish is put on.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

P7
    I've had several P7s hardchromed by various vendors over the years. I never tried Tripps though they got consistently great reviews. I had the best results with Metalloy of Berryville, AR. They hardchromed five or six P7s for me. Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just received my hard chromed P7 on Thursday evening - haven't had time to take pics yet but I'll have some up shortly. And I have a feeling it won't be my last P7 for some reason . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Just received my hard chromed P7 on Thursday evening - haven't had time to take pics yet but I'll have some up shortly. And I have a feeling it won't be my last P7 for some reason . . .
    P7s do have a tendency to multiply!
    JD
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

yes, please post pics

Can't wait to see the pics. Who did the work for you? That was pretty fast, just two weeks since your original post!
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Sponsored Links