M&P9 full size for CCW

This is a discussion on M&P9 full size for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I've owned my MP9 full size for about 3 months now. It's been an awesome gun: beautiful lines, super reliable, and very accurate. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P9 full size for CCW

M&P9 full size for CCW

Hi all,

I've owned my MP9 full size for about 3 months now. It's been an awesome gun: beautiful lines, super reliable, and very accurate. The problem is, I am in a CCW class and my MP9 prints like no other. I currently have it in a Remora series 11 IWB holster. I'm wondering if the printing is the gun, since it's full-size, or my clothing choices (usually cargo shorts and a polo shirt, required for grad school). I'm considering maybe getting the Compact version. I"m wondering if there would be much of a difference in size/concealability between the full-size and compact? And if not, does anyone have any suggestions on professional-looking shirts that would be able to conceal my weapon better?

Appreciate any and all info!

2. Remove Ads

I have the M&P 40c. I carry in a Theiss IWB holster and have no printing issues at all. Tucked, un-tucked, tees, polos button up... Pretty much what ever I wear. I do however buy my shirts a little big as I have very large shoulders neck and chest. (36 inch waist). I am not a fat ass... Just a big guy.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I have a 9 and a 9c, there is definitely a difference between the two.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    First off, how new are you to CC'ing? Most people print at least a little bit, but you will notice that when you are new to CC'ing you are VERY self-conscious of it.

If funds are an issue: Try one shirt size bigger and or a different carry spot (appendix, 1,2, 4,5 o'clock) with a new holster. Foward cant helps too with some body types. Then think about what you'd give up if you switched to a compact vs what you gain.

If funds aren't an issue I'd say get the compact. Compacts conceal easily and with modern double stack mags are very potent.

Also, if you have to wear a polo type shirt, look into sweat wicking golf type shirts. They fit looser around the bottom and the material is more flexible. Most shirts with a pattern is going to disguise the printing but the only one's with a pattern that low are generally Hawaiian shirts... too bad Hawaiian shirts are not in style (sorry old guys but it's true).
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    The compact version will help, but your clothing will make a BIG difference too. Have you tried going 1 size larger on your shirt? You also didn't say what position you carry at. Try adjusting position and the cant of your gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I started with the M&P 9c for my first M&P. It conceals just fine and IMO it truly is an awesome pistol; and I agree they are very reliable. I haven't really carried mine much as it's still a little to warm for my taste, but in the cooler months a head, I'll put it to the test. I like this pistol so much that I'm getting the full size version in the next month or so. Right now though I'm trying to decide if it's gonna be the 9mm or the .45. Leaning towards the .45, but the nine has it's advantages as well.

If you go the compact route I'm sure you'll find that you made the right call. It's a smidgen larger that the Glock 26/27, but IMO the ergonomics involved make it well worth it. I actually prefer my M&P over any of my glocks. JMO, YMV.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

bigger clothes is a good option, changing carry location/method could also fix it. did your CCW instructor show you different methods of concealment and see which one worked best for you? any gun can be concealed with the right method, compacts and subcompacts are always better options but a service pistol is very duable with the right method
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like the others have said, NewMexico, "printing" results from a combination of different causes - the gun's physical size is definitely one of them, but even the relative proportions of the gun (i.e. is it how long the barrel/slide is that's the problem? or is it the "height" of the gun - from the top of the slide to the base of the grip? or is it the width?) can throw things off. Other factors that contributes significantly include:

- holster type, set-up, and positioning
    - belt (or other support gear issues)
    - your clothing (even color/patterning can affect this)
    - your body's unique anatomy

These are all factors that will intermix and interplay, making any one pistol or another more or less concealable for any one unique individual.

I don't carry the M&P, but my case illustrates those concerns pretty well.

I have a full-sized XDm9 that I use for class work. It conceals well enough, and like you, I'm in the "adacemic's standard dress" of an un-tucked T-shirt over jeans, nearly all the time. The hem of my shirt comes down well past the muzzle, even if I were carrying in my OWB setup (which would be very unusual for me: I'm an IWB carrier - this is just an example) and reaching up for groceries on the top shelf, I'd still be OK in all but the most extreme circumstances. What causes that gun, using that setup, to print, for me, is the base of the grip - carried at my preferred 3-o'clock, it sticks out as if I've got a flagpole impaled into my side.

If my clothing changed, or if I moved the setup to, in-particular, an IWB appendix/inguinal carry, I can make that gun practically disappear.

But instead, I wanted to keep my usual clothes: I've dressed this way for the last twelve years or so - if I all of a sudden switched this up, *everyone* would know that something was up.

Luckily, as with the M&Ps, the XD/XDm line also "downsizes" rather nicely. My EDC is an XDm9 3.8 Compact, which precisely helps me overcome my specific printing concerns - in that it chops quite a bit of height off the frame by shortening the magazine. IWB on my strong side, at that 3-o'clock position, even with my usual clothes, no-one knows that I'm carrying.

But again, this is a personal thing. What works for one person may or may not for another. You've got to try it and find out, for yourself - to see where your compromises are.

A lot of "concealed carry" is a trial-and-error process.

Carrying at 4-430 instead of 3 and canting forward has made my M&P 40 pretty easy to conceal with an IWB.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

I have a full size M&P 40 and the 40c and the difference in concealing is very apparent.

I for one am not a fan of wearing big baggy clothes to conceal my pistol. I workout and eat to healthy to try and wear big baggy clothes. If I'm tucking in my shirt it is difficult to conceal the m&p40c but it is possible. I typically wear cargo type shorts and polo type shirts untucked and don't have a problem. When I first started carryig I felt like I was always paranoid of printing or someone seeing my pistol but eventually relaxed a bit. I carry mine in a leather IWB and it works well for me. I often wear regular fitted t shirts and my wife and kids don't notice that I'm carrying. I think your size and build will have a lot to do with it as well.

I definitely suggest getting the 9c. U can even use your full size magazines in ur compact.

I had a SD40 (similar dimensions to the M&P) for my first carry pistol. It concealed fine in a Galco King Tuck at the 4 oclock position. I just bought an M&P 9c and with the flush fit mag it disappears even under a plain white cotton t-shirt in the same holster.

As some have said the real trick IMO to good concealment is a decent amount of forward cant to the gun. If your current holster isn't at least 15 degrees, then change to something else. The CrossBreed Super tuck is an excellent choice as is the Galco I have. Both are adjustable for cant.

Sponsor
    In my experience, just as others have said, on of the biggest factors for printing is the grip length. A well made holster proper placement on the body, and proper cant can reduce this significantly. Ultimately a small gun will be easier to conceal (less specific on the areas mentioned above) but it can certainly be done. I've carried a full size XDm on campus with no issue at.

-Clay

I carry a 45 full size no problem at all. I carry in a supertuck deluxe with t-shirts and Polo's all day every day and its great. I didn't change my wardrobe up any but then again I don't wear tight fitting clothes. But also I am in the process of buying a 9compact and yes it conceals a LOT better.

I also have the .40 FS and .40c and yes the size is noticable and yes its impossible to wear a FS effectively. I think i got spotted at my local store with my FS the other day. Best time of year for them is Fall and Winter when you can layer more. Hot months i would say wear the compact.
    M&P 15 T
    M&P .40
    M&P .40c
    Moss 500

Lets not forget that body type has a lot to do with how and where you can conceal best too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links