Overrated Handguns - Page 2

Overrated Handguns

This is a discussion on Overrated Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even though I like them and plan on purchasing one in the future, I voted for Kahr as being over-rated. God Bless...

View Poll Results: Whiich is the most overrated handgun manufacturer?

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kimber

213 35.98%
  • Sig Sauer

26 4.39%
  • Smith and Wesson

18 3.04%
  • Ruger

14 2.36%
  • Glock

173 29.22%
  • Springfield Armory

17 2.87%
  • Walther

10 1.69%
  • Colt

21 3.55%
  • Para Ordnance

17 2.87%
  • Beretta

12 2.03%
  • Kahr

29 4.90%
  • Browning

2 0.34%
  • CZ

4 0.68%
  • Steyr

1 0.17%
  • Rohrbaugh

20 3.38%
  • Other

15 2.53%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Overrated Handguns

Even though I like them and plan on purchasing one in the future, I voted for Kahr as being over-rated. God Bless
    ASSA9 likes this.

VIP Member
    I didn't see Taurus up there. They have cluttered the market with a poor copy of just about every gun out there, and then price them at slightly under the original. That got my vote.

Kimber crossed my mind, only because I think that they are priced too high. It's quite the mental exercise for me to pay the price (or more) of a Colt for a 1911. I still like 'em though, and fully intend to pick up an Ultra CDP II at some point.

I voted Glock.

I don't think they're poor firearms by any stretch, but the whole "Perfection" mantra reeks of arrogance to me, and too many folks buy it hook line and sinker while dismissing other options that are just as good if not better for a given individual. There are similarly durable polymer combat pistols with better ergos, equal durability, better carry dimensions, better ambidexterous controls for one handed operations, etc.

Again, not saying Glocks are "bad" - simply saying too many paint them as the Pinnacle of Perfection when they're but one of a multitude of great options today.
    mauser1959 and Ogre like this.

I voted Kimber because at ASAA class last year, about half the class wore Glock/Glock-type, and the other half brought 1911's. Not all the 1911's were Kimbers, but several were, and nearly all of them (1911's) had experienced some issue or another by the end of the class. One guy's Kimber broke right away and he had to borrow a gun for the whole first day. The Glocks all ran fine. I kept thinking a guy could walk down here with a box of Glocks and sell them all!

I vote kimber I know quite a few people with kimbers and for the money I wouldnt trust my life on it. If you asked me this question a month ago I would have said glock but I got one for the wife and started liking it so I bought one for myself and I would trust my life to this weapon. In a months time I have shot this weapon in the range multiple times and even did a idpa match last weekend with it ,with no a single problem. I watched guys in the match shooting other guns( IDK the brands but not glocks) and alot of them were having issues, the guys shooting glocks had no issues and performed very well with them.

VIP Member
    Oh let me think... tic glock, tic glock.
    zeppelin03 and mauser1959 like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Glock gen 4, kimbers, and all new smith revolvers (the older ones are much better)

I voted for Kimber.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i just don't get why Glocks are voted so high... I'm with the other poster saying that they are, if anything, underrated... They tend to lack the "features", bells and whistles other gun manufacturers push but Glocks are the most reliable handguns available because of it. I won't bet my life on anything else, handgun-wise.

Of course, many seem to want to glitz so, yeah, Glocks don't make the best BBQ guns...

Glock guns do what they are supposed to do - they work. The Glock company knows they make quality firearms and they advertise it. Kimber knows they make "iffy" firearms and yet advertise them as "great, quality guns." PAH! I vote Kimber all the way....totally overrated.

I think the reason why the OP didn't put Hi Point and Taurus on there is because something can't be considered "overrated" when it's already rock bottom.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

I vote Glock!

I want to like them. I get myself so geeked up to buy one but once I shoot it I just don't get it. I think Glock was way a head of their time but today we have other guns that are just as reliable but also have better triggers, better ergonomics, and look good. I do believe Glocks are very reliable and only time will tell if M&Ps, XD's, Kahrs, and some others will prove to be as reliable! My 2 M&Ps or my Baretta have never failed in any way.... For whatever that's worth.

"Over-rated" doesn't necessarily mean bad or no good...it may just mean the reputation is greatly inflated. That is why I voted Glock...it's a fine gun, but the cult following screams over-rated. And no, I don't care if somebody buried one for years and then dug it up to shoot it...I couldn't care less.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    You left HK off of the list.

Jim
    NIS350ZTT and Justified like this.

I'm going to say H&K too. Not that they aren't good pistols, but they should be sold for a couple of hundred bucks less than they do. I can't think of a single one of their pistols worth the normal asking price.
    NIS350ZTT and glockman10mm like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I started out hating Glock, some how now it is my favorite of all.
    hdsteve69 and rabbit2011 like this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links