Overrated Handguns - Page 3

Overrated Handguns

This is a discussion on Overrated Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You guys are right, I totally forgot to have H&K on the list. Just an accident...

View Poll Results: Whiich is the most overrated handgun manufacturer?

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kimber

213 35.98%
  • Sig Sauer

26 4.39%
  • Smith and Wesson

18 3.04%
  • Ruger

14 2.36%
  • Glock

173 29.22%
  • Springfield Armory

17 2.87%
  • Walther

10 1.69%
  • Colt

21 3.55%
  • Para Ordnance

17 2.87%
  • Beretta

12 2.03%
  • Kahr

29 4.90%
  • Browning

2 0.34%
  • CZ

4 0.68%
  • Steyr

1 0.17%
  • Rohrbaugh

20 3.38%
  • Other

15 2.53%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Overrated Handguns

You guys are right, I totally forgot to have H&K on the list. Just an accident
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I saw a video on the internet of God sending a dove out of heaven carrying the plans for the perfect pistol to Mr. Glock....
    RockStrongo likes this.

I think Vaquero 45 has a very valid point regarding Springfield Armory, and tend to agree with him even though I own a Springer XD. I mainly bought it because I wanted to see what all the buzz was about and see just how it stacked up against my Glock 23. I'm not disappointed with it, and it has never had even a hiccup, but I don't think it surpasses the Glock either. I would also have no problem owning one of their M1A's, but I do think Springfields are a bit overrated.

I also pretty much agree with his assessment of Ruger.

While I've never owned an H&K, I spent a lot of time researching them. After researching their pistols I ended up going with the Glock. I believe H&K pistols are a bit overrated, if not just over priced. I have shot several of their select fire MP5's and think it's probably their best platform. It's one hell of a sub-gun and probably where they get a lot of their reputation.

People may not like Glock for a lot of personal reasons, but I really don't think it's a fair statement to say they are overrated. They just shoot and shoot and shoot. Considering the number of Glocks on the market and in use, I think it's pretty rare to find one which doesn't shoot, is not reliable, not inherently accurate out of the box, and not damn near indestructible. The Glock torture tests are more than adequately documented.

One of my favorite Glock videos is this one.

Glock 18: 298 rounds in 53 seconds

Not sure you could get an H&K to do that without a stoppage. At least I haven't seen it.
    RockStrongo likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

While I understand that we all have our own opinion I have to agree with the Glock as my choice. I think it is a very good reliable basic gun but I think it has a terrible grip and a marginal trigger. That is my, and only my opinion, I am a firm believer in what ever works for you is what you should use. That said I find it interesting that the group of people posting here dislike Ruger. I had a LCP and it just did not fit my hand but it put a decent quality handgun in the hands of the public for a realistic price. I also see nothing in the market place that is the same size, weight and caliber as a LC9. I have that piece and it is far more comfortable for me than a cw45 Kahr I had and much more reliable. Again, these are my experiences and I am in no way an authority on anything other than these. I also wish the gun manufactures did not have to put all these safety features on their auto's but the liability cases have required it in many cases. My question is still why are they so necessary on an semi-auto and not on a revolver? I am guessing it's the impression of the auto being more "dangerous?"
    Be safe, Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I'm going to say H&K too. Not that they aren't good pistols, but they should be sold for a couple of hundred bucks less than they do. I can't think of a single one of their pistols worth the normal asking price.
    I can only speak for myself here, but one big thing that drew me to H&K is full ambi controls. I'm left handed, and my wife is right handed. My P2000 is also our primary HD handgun, and I wanted something that in addition to being dead nuts reliable could be operated by either one of us with one hand in a pinch. Yes HK's are pricey, but they're just as reliable as the venerable Glock, and at least for me true ambi ability and better ergos than the Glock make it worth the price I paid ($780 NIB). And believe it or not HK torture tests are well documented as well:

HK45: 50,000 rounds in 252 days with 2 stoppages. Was cleaned a total of 7 times over those 50,000 rounds. pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » HK45 Endurance test: Week Thirty Seven

P30: 91,322 rounds in 322 days with 13 stoppages. Was cleaned a total of 15 times over those 91,322 rounds. pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » P30 Thursday: Week Forty-Two

HK factory testing video (in German): Heckler and Koch factory torture testing - YouTube

Not bad IMO.

GM
    My vote goes to "Perfection" Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    I voted Glock.

I don't think they're poor firearms by any stretch, but the whole "Perfection" mantra reeks of arrogance to me, and too many folks buy it hook line and sinker while dismissing other options that are just as good if not better for a given individual. There are similarly durable polymer combat pistols with better ergos, equal durability, better carry dimensions, better ambidexterous controls for one handed operations, etc.

Again, not saying Glocks are "bad" - simply saying too many paint them as the Pinnacle of Perfection when they're but one of a multitude of great options today.
    I agree!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Ron Cohen did such a good job of running Kimber's quality into the ground, Sig decided to have him do the same for them. Owning at least 4 of each, these are two companies that were highly overrated. The problem for me with choosing them in the poll is that neither were overrated at one point. Both were at the top of their game for quite a while.

Not everyone keeps up with the times, so many may still think both companies produce the same quality they did 10 years ago. Ruger, on the other hand, has never made a first class semi auto but their revolvers were of decent quality.

I chose Sig for this thread because of the drastic decline, though I still believe the general public holds them in high esteem because of the quality they once offered. It was actualy hard to choose for me.

I trust my Glocks completely. I do think they're a bit overrated as they have a cult following that believes these guns never fail unless it's operator error. These people are usually ones that never actually shoot their guns, if they even own them, so Glock gets a close second from me, but it's not because they don't deliver, but because they are viewed as more than a tool and some of their followers can't accept that it's a mechanical device like all other firearms.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I second the obnoxious Glock cliques they really are nauseating - Kimber gets my vote as another stated, over priced, over done, 1911s with makeup - they make me sick. As far as Sig goes I agree with the decline in quality statement because they brought in that **** bag bean counter. However, they are making a big push with their 1911 line, they have become very, very nice indeed. I would rate Sigs 1911s a cut above for quality vs money spent - no MIM parts, and they are made here in the States.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    I also see nothing in the market place that is the same size, weight and caliber as a LC9.
    That would be the KelTec PF9 that Ruger copied to make the LC9. I've had both, the KelTec is a bit lighter and cheaper and lacks the safety and magazine disconnect ridiculousness, but otherwise they even look almost identical internally. Both shot fine and had no malfunctions. I ended up selling the LC9 because I didn't like the trigger and the magazine disconnect, and now just have the KelTec.

I voted Kimber...just can't get past the cost.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Looks like a lot of people agree with me. Or visa-versa..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Of those on the list, Colt is the most over rated and CZ is the most underrated. If you had a "most overpriced poll" that would really be interesting cause there would be a boat load that fit that criteria.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    I can only speak for myself here, but one big thing that drew me to H&K is full ambi controls. I'm left handed, and my wife is right handed. My P2000 is also our primary HD handgun, and I wanted something that in addition to being dead nuts reliable could be operated by either one of us with one hand in a pinch. Yes HK's are pricey, but they're just as reliable as the venerable Glock, and at least for me true ambi ability and better ergos than the Glock make it worth the price I paid ($780 NIB). And believe it or not HK torture tests are well documented as well:

HK45: 50,000 rounds in 252 days with 2 stoppages. Was cleaned a total of 7 times over those 50,000 rounds. pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » HK45 Endurance test: Week Thirty Seven

P30: 91,322 rounds in 322 days with 13 stoppages. Was cleaned a total of 15 times over those 91,322 rounds. pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » P30 Thursday: Week Forty-Two

HK factory testing video (in German): Heckler and Koch factory torture testing - YouTube

Not bad IMO.
    I'm right there with you. HK is far from being overated.

I voted Kimber.

Without any doubt they are the most over hyped 1911's on the market today. There's not one Kimber that Larry Vickers or Hilton Yamm will ever rec'd for duty carry. Ken Hackathorn has the same feelings.

Their pretty guns, nothing special, just a bunch of nice finishes, not even great finishes and and some added cosmetics. All the Seriess II guns are basically the same guns with a nice little finish that differentiates them from one model to the next.

Kimber is not what not what they used to be some 15 years ago. There's been lot's of changes in the manufacturing and QC control of pistols that are simply "off the manufacturing line" that somehow have claimed to be "Custom" guns.

Kimbers "Custom" logo is merely their designation for a government size 1911 hand gun. Their simply assembly line guns with "Custom" stamped on the slide.

I'll never trust my life with a Kimber. POS pistols and overpriced at that.

Just my professional opinion based on thousands of rounds shot through their pistols. SAVE YOUR MONEY !!!
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

I voted glocks. They are fine guns and seem to work but so does my m&p and it feels SO MICH BETTER then the glock that feels like I'm holding a piece of lumber instead of a gun.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links