Overrated Handguns - Page 4

Overrated Handguns

This is a discussion on Overrated Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great question and thought provoking. I thought for a while and picked solely based on a bias not to mess with JMB's design... I'll leave ...

View Poll Results: Whiich is the most overrated handgun manufacturer?

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kimber

213 35.98%
  • Sig Sauer

26 4.39%
  • Smith and Wesson

18 3.04%
  • Ruger

14 2.36%
  • Glock

173 29.22%
  • Springfield Armory

17 2.87%
  • Walther

10 1.69%
  • Colt

21 3.55%
  • Para Ordnance

17 2.87%
  • Beretta

12 2.03%
  • Kahr

29 4.90%
  • Browning

2 0.34%
  • CZ

4 0.68%
  • Steyr

1 0.17%
  • Rohrbaugh

20 3.38%
  • Other

15 2.53%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Overrated Handguns

Great question and thought provoking. I thought for a while and picked solely based on a bias not to mess with JMB's design... I'll leave it at that.

I think every reasoned person here would agree the best firearm in the world is the one you have or can access in the time of need. We all have our preferences some like blonds, some like brunettes or red heads- all have the same equipment; just like the firearm - front sight, rear sight, barrel, grip, trigger guard, trigger and ammunition source... beyond that everything else is preference and what we think we want of need.

Have a Great Evening

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I; send me!"
    Isaiah 6.8

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I went back and forth between Kimber and Glock, then chose Kimber. I have owned several of each, and now own none of either brand. I am a fan-boy of no brand, but do love brands which work, and provide me with no drama. I want a weapon that is at least reasonably accurate, and boringly reliable.

Kimbers are, at best, a third-rate 1911. Even third-rate is OK with me, if they work reliably. Only one of my three Kimbers could be made reliable enough to trust as a street carry gun, and then, only if I used Metalform 7-round magazines, and ONE particular Colt 7-round magazine. (Yes, I tried Wilson mags, plus others.) Another Kimber only worked with Metalforms, and the third only worked with McCormick Power Mags. The Kimbers were notably accurate, but that was all that could be said in their favor, overall. Some scoff, and say user error. Well, then, why did my Colts run reliably, and my SAI and Les Baer TRS run at 100%? I can run a 1911, if it will run with me; my three Kimbers did not want to run.

Glocks are a top-tier handgun, but even Glock produces the occasional drama queen, and Glock as a company can be too proud to admit a mistake, such as chronic malfunctions in a certain range of the G22, which Glock quietly corrected, without admitting fault, by placing stronger springs in G22 mags after a certain point in production. The stronger mag spring fixed the symptom, not the root problem, of course, but fixed is fixed, I reckon.

I got away from Glocks because they just don't fit me as well as other handguns which are reliable, top-tier handguns. I might even return to Glock, someday, but would have to find the right goo to re-shape some places on the frame. (In essence, I need a very slim, small, subtle Glock equivalent of what a Tyler T-grip does for a revolver, and build-up underneath the grip tang a similar amount, while not increasing te reach to the trigger.) I would also avoid the .40, staying
    with 9mm, the cartridge that Glock used to become great.

So, I figure that Kimber is over-rated because it presents itself as top-tier, when it is not, even though its fan-boys think so, and Glock is over-rated because the fanboys think Glock is perfection, when Glock is merely top-tier, sharing that position with other good pistols.
    mauser1959 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Since it's our opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    "Over-rated" doesn't necessarily mean bad or no good...it may just mean the reputation is greatly inflated. That is why I voted Glock...it's a fine gun, but the cult following screams over-rated. And no, I don't care if somebody buried one for years and then dug it up to shoot it...I couldn't care less.
    agreed

1. Kimber
    2. Glock
    3. Springfield Amory

Not that I "wouldn't" own one of these but the cult following isn't warranted by any gun. I have my favorites but I know that they're not vastly superior to all the rest. You buy yours, I buy mine, we're all hoppy.
    Ogre likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I voted Kimber.

Their $1500 guns should probably sell for no more than $400 to $500. If someone gives me one for free I might keep it, but it will not be the one I keep ready by my night stand.

Colt QC down the drain also because they can't keep up with demands those that don't know better drive up the price. Colts should sell in the $500 to $600 range not over $900. I believe some of the best mass manufactured 1911s are S&W and lately Sig. However, the S&Ws are getting out there in price, while Sig is holding their price line on their new line up which is vastly improved from the days when they were relying on Vendors to manufacture their parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OD*
    You may not want to buy a new gun at all, since on the internet someone you do not know is willing to tell you that everything made by (insert any company name here) is junk.
    Hopyard, Boozehound and Ogre like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    You may not want to buy a new gun at all, since on the internet someone you do not know is willing to tell you that everything made by (insert any company name here) is junk.
    The guy is soliciting opinions so were giving them - just like you just gave yours...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I voted colt..Just because G-man loves his so much....He will figure it out someday....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Voted Glock, I see most all the people who went Kimber seem to want to reference the price. Well the poll was for overrated, not overpriced :P

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    People are willing to pay the price because they have been told, or think, it is worth it. And when it's not, it just became overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by wdbailey View Post
    Voted Glock, I see most all the people who went Kimber seem to want to reference the price. Well the poll was for overrated, not overpriced :P
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have a Kimber Pro CDP, with over 600 rounds through it. Yes, it has malfunctioned several times. Every time has been a ftf with a hp in a completely full 8 rd magazine. The rounds had a brass case also. I switched to nickel case rounds, changed to Wilson or mccormick mags and did some self smithing to the feed ramp. It seemed pretty steep to me. Being aluminum, I whittled it down to a less steep angle and then polished it up with a ceramic sharpening stick.
    With the slicker nickel cases, better quality mags, and my smithing it is now reliable. Not sure which modification did the trick, but before it wanted to stick the first hp into the feed ramp. After I SLAMMED the heel of my hand to the bottom of the mag, the round would then chamber. And every round thereafter. It has always cycled round nose fmj's and my lswc reloads flawlessly.

"Personally, I believe most people who have functioning problems with their Kimbers have a weak grip issue with a lighter aluminum frame 1911. Its imperative that you hold it snugly and let the action work. You cant limp wrist a light 1911 and expect it to function

btw, I voted ruger. What an atrocious trigger.

The best hangun for the money is a glock. Ugly....yes, but pretty cheap and 99% of them produced since inception are boringly reliabe and accurate enough

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I voted colt..Just because G-man loves his so much....He will figure it out someday....
    Them are fighting words son! There are very few manufacturers that make consistently excellent guns in multiple categories. Colt has always been one of them. You can give me a Colt 1911, Revolver, or M4 and you won't hear me complain about it.
    bmcgilvray and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Absolutely no question - Glock.

I mean, they overrate themselves.

Glock Perfection?

Oh, please.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

I voted for Ruger autos ,,,, they just seem to be low grade to me.

Glock found their design and until another can do this they will stay
    at the top of the food chain.

glock buried 2 years fire utube - Bing Videos

VIP Member
    An overrated gun is any gun that is discontinued and ten years later is fondly referred to as a "classic."

Discontinued because of reliability = "a high tolerance finely tuned classic"
    Discontinued because of mnfr cost = "a finely machined classic"
    Discontinued because of poor sales = "a niche market classic"
    Discontinued because of model dash change = "an elegantly designed classic"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links