Overrated Handguns

This is a discussion on Overrated Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Crowbait Glock is the most overrated...and I think that Springfield is the most underrated of the polymer autos. They are incredeibly reliable, ...

View Poll Results: Whiich is the most overrated handgun manufacturer?

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kimber

213 35.98%
  • Sig Sauer

26 4.39%
  • Smith and Wesson

18 3.04%
  • Ruger

14 2.36%
  • Glock

173 29.22%
  • Springfield Armory

17 2.87%
  • Walther

10 1.69%
  • Colt

21 3.55%
  • Para Ordnance

17 2.87%
  • Beretta

12 2.03%
  • Kahr

29 4.90%
  • Browning

2 0.34%
  • CZ

4 0.68%
  • Steyr

1 0.17%
  • Rohrbaugh

20 3.38%
  • Other

15 2.53%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Overrated Handguns

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    Glock is the most overrated...and I think that Springfield is the most underrated of the polymer autos. They are incredeibly reliable, accurate, excellent ergos (the best IMO), excellent quality, a fantastic value. I trust my and my family's lives to them.
    Agree traded my Glock for a XDM 40 (work gun) and was like going from a Kia to a Caddy!

2. Remove Ads

The opinions in this thread do not seem to jive with the results of the poll. It is very rare that I hear anyone extolling the virtues of Kimbers. To my mind, "overrated" implies a reputation far in excess of its actual performance. If Kimbers have a reputation, it does not seem to be a very good one, being one of those guns that people love to hate.

Kimber has many 1911's, some are reasonably priced, with subdued finishes and some are more expensive with flashy finishes. Some people like flashy guns; it isn't a crime. Regardless, my brother owns two Kimbers and both run flawlessly. Not only that, but they are nice looking guns, that fit the hand and are highly accurate.

Anyhow, I voted Colt.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    I'm suprized. I'd vote Glock as the most underrated of them all. I voted Kimber. I'd bet my life on a Glock over any other firearm out there no matter the cost.

Just watched a video on youtube. Glock 21 buried for 2 years, then shot 500 times. I'd like to see any other gun do that.
    I bet there are a few firearms that could do this. If I had the money and I would test whatever gun everyone says to test. But just from a logical standpoint, there are many guns with the same construction and durability as the Glock and would preform the same way. (XD, XDm, M&P, Sig, H&K, etc.) and this comment explains why I voted Glock. Too many people think that they are the only gun that can be, buried, burned, run over, frozen in a block of ice, _________ etc. It is not true, but people preach that Glock is the ultimate, like it is Gospel
    Ogre likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Now that S&W is pared up with Walther we'll see what comes.

VIP Member
    I don't think glock or kimber are overrated. I think the voters just gravitate towards the brand they dislike.

VIP Member
    Glock-perfection, they overrate themselves.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Kimber. I am not impressed with reliability or customer service
    NRA member
    Gen 3 Glock 27
    Gen 4 Glock 23
    Ruger sp101 .357
    Colt 1911

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I wanted to vote Glock so badly but had to vote Ruger. Only an opinion but they make clunky guns that are no more durable than any of several other brands despite the trite and tired cliche that they are "built like a tank." Definitely a second tier handgun manufacturer despite the reverence given by so many.
    I would wholeheartedly agree. I bought one because one the local gun dealers raved so much about them , I had nothing but issues with it. (Glock 23) send it back to Glock to fix issues with jamming FTF when it came back after replacing firing pin and barrel it was no better two magazines later at cost to Glock, no better. Two trips to gunsmith to polish feed ramp and other internals no better. I gave up and traded for M&P 9C, he'll of a lot better gun made in the USA and can take reloads that Glock cannot.
    Also, I have an H&K P2000 same as our border patrol, yes a little more money,but you get what you pay for 2" groups at 21ft from free stand position and never a failure!!!

Overrated=Kimber

Dude, talk about bringing back a post from the grave!!! Kill the Zombie!
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

glocks over-rated?

I guess the over 65% of law enforcement that use Glocks to "serve and protect" are using over-rated guns??? I don't think so. It must be a jealously thing! I can honestly say 13 years of using glocks as my service weapon, I have never had a problem. I can not say that for Springfield Armory, (the xds and xdm are unreliable). The Kimbers are for people that feel that they "need or think" they have the best. I am not saying Glocks are the best, but I trust my life with one. I have trained with them. Tried and true. I can not say that about any other gun manufacturer. They have been in rain, mud, snow, dropped, summer heat, winter cold, and they still go"BANG" EVERYTIME!!!. It just seems people that don't understand something, just would rather "knock" it!

Problem with this poll is how many of us have direct experience with all makes of guns? For me, my worst gun was a Walther p22. Yes it is a .22 plinker, but when one spends somewhere around $400 you would expect the thing to work. If you search on the p22 you will find tons of web sites that try to help you fix the problems. Why doesn't Walther fix the problems before they sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKJOCK View Post
    I guess the over 65% of law enforcement that use Glocks to "serve and protect" are using over-rated guns??? I don't think so. It must be a jealously thing! I can honestly say 13 years of using glocks as my service weapon, I have never had a problem. I can not say that for Springfield Armory, (the xds and xdm are unreliable). The Kimbers are for people that feel that they "need or think" they have the best. I am not saying Glocks are the best, but I trust my life with one. I have trained with them. Tried and true. I can not say that about any other gun manufacturer. They have been in rain, mud, snow, dropped, summer heat, winter cold, and they still go"BANG" EVERYTIME!!!. It just seems people that don't understand something, just would rather "knock" it!
    Absolutely, positively, factually, 100% UNTRUE. No ifs ands or buts, that statements is close minded, ignorant, and just plain WRONG.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

I sat here, and read a few of these posts,and thought,isn't it nice to have so many choices.

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar
    Yes it is good to have choices. And everybody's taste are different.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links