Overrated Handguns

This is a discussion on Overrated Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’m curious as to forum member’s opinions on the most overrated and underrated handgun manufacturers. This is not meant to knock anyone’s personal choices for ...

View Poll Results: Whiich is the most overrated handgun manufacturer?

Voters
592. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kimber

213 35.98%
  • Sig Sauer

26 4.39%
  • Smith and Wesson

18 3.04%
  • Ruger

14 2.36%
  • Glock

173 29.22%
  • Springfield Armory

17 2.87%
  • Walther

10 1.69%
  • Colt

21 3.55%
  • Para Ordnance

17 2.87%
  • Beretta

12 2.03%
  • Kahr

29 4.90%
  • Browning

2 0.34%
  • CZ

4 0.68%
  • Steyr

1 0.17%
  • Rohrbaugh

20 3.38%
  • Other

15 2.53%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Overrated Handguns

Overrated Handguns

I’m curious as to forum member’s opinions on the most overrated and underrated handgun manufacturers.

This is not meant to knock anyone’s personal choices for firearms, just to better gauge perceptions of various handgun manufacturers.

Certain manufacturers have been purposefully put on one or the other poll. We all know Glocks are highly regarded so it is going on the list of manufacturers that people can vote for overrated. Once again, I am not saying that they are overrated, but most here would agree that Glock doesn’t belong on the underrated voting list because they are so highly regarded by so many.

On the flip side, Hi Point is on the underrated voting list. Hi Points are widely regarded as pieces of junk that work. And we all know that Hi Point doesn’t have a fanatical following like Glocks.

If I missed a major manufacturer sorry, add it on to the Other category.

And please tell us why you think the manufacturer you voted for is overrated.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Please excuse my typo in the poll question. If a moderator can correct that please do because I don't know how.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I wanted to vote Glock so badly but had to vote Ruger. Only an opinion but they make clunky guns that are no more durable than any of several other brands despite the trite and tired cliche that they are "built like a tank." Definitely a second tier handgun manufacturer despite the reverence given by so many.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I voted Glock, seems there are some that practically drop to their knees and bow just at the mere mention of a Glock.
    vista461, Thunder71 and guardmt like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm suprized. I'd vote Glock as the most underrated of them all. I voted Kimber. I'd bet my life on a Glock over any other firearm out there no matter the cost.

Just watched a video on youtube. Glock 21 buried for 2 years, then shot 500 times. I'd like to see any other gun do that.
    Exacto likes this.

I trust my life to my Glocks.
    Exacto likes this.

As far as overrated, Kimber.....too expensive, to flashy, you can get just as good of a 1911 style from another brand.
    mano3 likes this.

HI point

Taurus is an under-rated Beretta knock off and IMHO it should probably stay in the basement (although they did buy Rossi another under-rated gun and I love my 17hmr break action).

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I voted Glock, seems there are some that practically drop to their knees and bow just at the mere mention of a Glock.
    I resemble that remark...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I wanted to vote Glock so badly but had to vote Ruger. Only an opinion but they make clunky guns that are no more durable than any of several other brands despite the trite and tired cliche that they are "built like a tank." Definitely a second tier handgun manufacturer despite the reverence given by so many.
    I am with you on the Ruger vote, it's well known that I don't care for them. There is not one single category of firearms in which I consider them a leader in. They typically rip off other popular designs and sell a lower quality version for 20% cheaper.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I had a hard time with this. Divide, between Kimber, Ruger and Glock.

IMO Kimber builds a decent gun, but there are many more on the market that are as good if not better. Their warranty is not as good as SA.

While Ruger builds a good wheel gun, their semi auto's leave something to desire.

But for over all over rating, I have to go with Glock. While their design was innovative, and they do build a quality gun. Contrary to what many seem to think, Gaston Glock is not the John Moses Browning reincarnated.
    mauser1959 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I voted Springfield Armory. Slapping a classic American firearms name onto imported polymer framed pistols and 1911s made with imported frames is somewhat blasphemous, if you ask me. Calling them a "manufacturer" is actually a bit of a stretch, since they are mostly an importer and assembler, using the Springfield Armory name as a clever marketing trick to make people think that they actually have anything to do with the real Springfield Armory.

I'll have to pretty strongly disagree with C hawk Glock about Ruger, at least in part. The 10/22 is definitely a sales leader in the rimfire arena, and I'd also say that Ruger is a leader in single action revolvers, both for cowboy action shooting and hunting. Some reloading manuals actually have their hottest loads marked "Ruger and Freedom Arms only," given the strength and durability of their revolver designs. I own both Ruger and S&W revolvers, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd keep my Rugers. I'm more of a "working gun" kind of guy, and appreciate strength and durability over looks. Women are sexy, not guns.

I will say that I think that Ruger's semiauto pistol line is less than stellar, across the board. This mostly has to do with the gawd-awful safety crap that they burden their designs with. I prefer the ergonomics of the SR series over a Glock (actually, I prefer the ergonomics of a 2x4 over a Glock), but Ruger seriously needs to spend more time smoothing out the finishing of their pistols, and dump the ridiculous loaded chamber monstrosity, magazine disconnects and thumb safeties. I much prefer S&W, Beretta and Kahr for my semiauto pistol needs.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

In deference to Glock lovers, and they are good guns.
    I wonder why they only have one design, all they do is change the size.
    Ruger, S&W, etc. etc. all have a variety of guns, yet Glock stays with only one gun.
    Is it they lack innovation, or because it is just sooo gooood.

I think many companies are the best in their niche. S&W seems to be an exception, but they have their issues like everyone else. No one gun manufacturer is truly complete or the best for their entire existence.

The small custom build companies tend to remain higher quality over the big name companies for longer periods of time with the founder(s) being in charge.

I agree that Ruger builds very good revolvers, but their semi-autos can be lacking at times outside of their 22LR calibers. That seems to be changing now though. They are moving into more of a well rounded handgun niche like S&W is. Oddly enough, both are more well regarded for their revolvers than their semi-autos. An odd thing I've seen over the years.
    mauser1959 likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links