What Glock says about converting .40 to 9mm

This is a discussion on What Glock says about converting .40 to 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I called Glock and spoke with technical support. Since I have read on several forums that I can just place a 9mm conversion barrel in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What Glock says about converting .40 to 9mm

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I called Glock and spoke with technical support. Since I have read on several forums that I can just place a 9mm conversion barrel in my .40 cal pistol and it would work just fine, I asked them if that would work. He said categorically NO. He said to convert a .40 to 9mm, I would have to swap out 1/2 the parts as each caliber has parts specific to that gun.

I also asked him if I could place a G19 barrel in my G26 pistol. Again, he said NO as the slide would lock up and it would be unreliable.

This is frustrating as I have called Glock before and gotten different answers to the same questions. Not sure who to believe any more.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I have a friend who converted his G27 to 9mm without changing anything except the ammo!. He even managed to get a couple down the pipe. The look on his face once he discovered he'd loaded up with the wrong ammo and had been carrying that way the whole day was darn funny!

VIP Member
    I "converted" my 23 to an ersatz 19 with just a barrel change, and it works fine. Not saying this a definitive answer, just relaying my experience.

ETA: It was in fact the Lone Wolf barrel, not a standard G19 barrel...
    Last edited by OPFOR; September 13th, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I've only heard of changing the .357 sig to .40 with a barrel change, not 9mm to .40. Of course what is technically possible and what the company says can be done are different things. Remember, if you convert from 9 to 40 they don't get to sell you another pistol and they have to move product to stay in business.

Here is my understanding of the subject:

The Glock 19 and Glock 23 are identical frames with a few exceptions:
    You can't convert a Glock 23 to a 19 simply by putting a 19 barrel into the 23, primarily because the ejector in the 23 is straight and the ejector in the 19 is bent because of the smaller 9mm cartridge. What you COULD do is buy a lone-wolf 40-9 conversion barrel. That barrel has the chamber slightly offset to compensate for this ejector difference. Of course, you'll also need the 9mm magazine.

I personally have tried the conversion with my G27 but found it wasn't reliable. I'm not sure why. I have a conversion barrel for my G23 but have not had a chance to try it yet.

From what I've been told, for a permanent conversion and better reliability the extractor would need to be replaced as well, but I'm not sure on that one.

As for putting a G19 barrel into a G26, it DOES work just fine. However you cannot put a G17 barrel into a 19 or 26 as the locking lugs on the fullsizes are different than on the compacts and sub-compacts.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I've only heard of changing the .357 sig to .40 with a barrel change, not 9mm to .40. Of course what is technically possible and what the company says can be done are different things. Remember, if you convert from 9 to 40 they don't get to sell you another pistol and they have to move product to stay in business.
    Exactly. They are in the business of selling guns.....not telling people they can save $350 by just buying a conversion barrel, and a few mags to get a workable new caliber.

They guy was also incorrect about putting a 19 barrel in a 26. Now, you cannot take a 17 barrel and put it in a 26, or even a 19 for that matter. The barrel lugs are different on the 17 as opposed to the other two.
    AZJD1968 and Bad Bob like this.

The ejecters on the trigger mechanism housing are different,so I would think that would make the gun unreliable,Just wandering,is the .40 to much for you?

Besides barrel and mags you have to change the ejector and the extractor. They are slightly different from the the 9mm and the 40 cal.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I used only a conversion barrel and mag in my model 27 to convert it to 9mm. It shot fine for hundreds of rounds, and I never experienced any kind of stoppage. However, if I were to make it it permanent, I probably would change the extractor, and ejector as well, because they are a little different.

Search the Glock forum. Many guys use only a conversion barrel without any problems, although I doubt anyone actually carries a converted gun for personal protection. Keep in mind, you can go 40 to 9mm or 357 Sig, but you cannot convert a 9mm to 40/357.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I called Glock and spoke with technical support. Since I have read on several forums that I can just place a 9mm conversion barrel in my .40 cal pistol and it would work just fine, I asked them if that would work. He said categorically NO. He said to convert a .40 to 9mm, I would have to swap out 1/2 the parts as each caliber has parts specific to that gun.

I also asked him if I could place a G19 barrel in my G26 pistol. Again, he said NO as the slide would lock up and it would be unreliable.

This is frustrating as I have called Glock before and gotten different answers to the same questions. Not sure who to believe any more.
    sorry to tell you this but I think the guy from glock must be a newbie because he is clueless, I have a g22 and a wolf 9mm barrel for it I swap barrels and mags and nothing else and voila I am shooting 9mm ammo through a g22
    AZJD1968 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    Besides barrel and mags you have to change the ejector and the extractor. They are slightly different from the the 9mm and the 40 cal.
    that's news to me and the few hundred rounds of 9mm I've run through my g22 without changing the extractor. do you own a glock .40?

I do not believe in conversion barrells. If you want a 40 get a 40, but realize it will cost you more to practice and it may not be as fun to shoot. If you want a 9 get a 9 but realize it will cost you less to practice and may be more fun to shoot. Also I hate to mess with a perfectly reliable gun by introducing foreign parts and such. If ain't broke don't fix it.

I also would not expect any GLOCK, COLT, SPRINGFIELD, SMITH & WESSON, etc. representative would tell you it's ok to use aftermarket parts and or modify their product from the way they built it. The liability would put them out of business the minute Earl converts his 9 to a 40 and missed a step but claims Hanz and Franz at GLOCK told him it was OK.

Disclaimer: My first GLOCK was a 3rd generation 19. It is my EDC, HD, competition, and favorite range gun. It's not my fault I picked the perfect pistol on the first try, or maybe it is.
    roalho, MJClark and deafdave3 like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Well I took the G23 Gen 4 to the range today. I put 100 rounds of .40S&W through it. Then I switched dropped in the conversion barrel.

*Note to the log, barrels get hot. :)

The Lone Wolf 40-9 Conversion barrel matched with a Glock 19 magazine shot 100 flawless 9mm rounds.

Knowing what I do about the numerous differences between the pistols, I would not carry in this configuration, but for plinking at the range there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a conversion barrel. Now all I need to do is get my hands on a Glock 32 barrel so I can shoot .357 sig.

The breechface surface on the .40 is larger than the 9mm, whereas on both the .357SIG and the .40 they are identical. While 9mm conversion barrels do work in guns that were originally .357/.40, the .40 sized breechface wont let the extractor get as strong of a grip on the cartridge rim of a 9mm casing. While you can get by with going from .40 to 9mm with just a barrel change sans a little reliability issues, you can't convert a 9mm gun to shoot .40 without changing the slide, too.
    sensei2 likes this.

There are some amazing responses on this thread. This conversion is extremely common, post your question on Glock Talk. I have a 40 to 9 LW conversion barrel that I sometimes use on my G23. I use 9mm mags and have never had an issue (although I would not use it for carry purposes). You can not use a Glock 9mm barrel (e.g., a stock G19 barrel) because, among other reasons, the outside diameter is too small to function properly on a gun with a 40 slide. Perhaps your negative response from Glock was because they thought you were asking about switching stock barrels??? or related to liability issues???
    AZJD1968 likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links