I want to give props

This is a discussion on I want to give props within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today's session. Took 150 rounds of 180 grain Atlanta Arms FMJ ammo and 100 rounds of PRVI 180 grain JHPs with me. Both rated at ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to give props

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Today's session.

Took 150 rounds of 180 grain Atlanta Arms FMJ ammo and 100 rounds of PRVI 180 grain JHPs with me. Both rated at only 1000fps. Good range ammo velocity IMO.

Results: 4 FTF's with the AA ammo. Bullet nosed into chamber and needed help getting the last bit in there by nudging the slide forward from behind. Thankfully, I had my Wilson calibration set with me (different recoil springs) and decided to switch out the stock 18.5# spring with a 20# spring. By the way, this thing was slinging spent brass all over the indoor range. My guess based on how hard it was hitting me AFTER it bounced off the partition between stations would put it around 10-15 feet if I were in the open. Changed out the spring and had no other FTFs with AA. Brass still smacking me pretty good on the rebound.

Finished the AA and loaded all 6 mags (today brought 4 more 45acp mags along with me) with PRVI JHP's. Target was still out somewhere between 18-23 yards in my estimation. I had been shooting with both eyes open and decided I would try my first 5 shots of the new ammo at the same distance with both eyes open. Here's the result.

POA was with the sights lined up square at 6 o'clock. Accuracy was good with the AA but improved a bit with the PRVI. No malfunctions with this ammo.

Wiped her down and put her away.[/QUOTE]
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

2. Remove Ads

I have Colt 1911s dating from 1917 up, Springfields, RIAs, one Mexican and one Argentine clone and a Kimber Ultra. The Ultra is my winter EDC and it has never had a hick-up of any kind with any ammo. It conceals, shoots and is lighter than my Springfield or Colt Officer model. JMB is my hero--but Kimber is doing him proud in my mind. Even if it is made in NY.

I also have a Ciener conversion for Officer model and it performs well on this with any ammo fed to date. I keep a Ciener 5" conversion on a RIA frame. The grand kids and I like to shoot them both with the rimfire conversions.

A

I plan to get some Georgia Arms ammo and hopefully it'll eat it up. Not sure why this AA stuff is sticking halfway in. Of course, the heavier RS may have been the needed fix. I have a 22# and 24# as well if needed for the hotter loads.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    10 mm on my list. Keep us posted.

Took the Kimber back out again today. 200 rounds of Atlanta Arms FMJ. No issues except for ragged bullseye. 400 rounds of PRVI JHP. No issues except for missing bullseye. 17 rounds of SwampFox Ammo 200 grain XTP JHP at 1350 fps. No issues except for an extremely hot frame, slide and trigger guard, and the biggest grin I've vet had from shooting a bullet.

I only shot 17 because the muzzle was too hot to remove the bushing and replace the recoil spring with a 22#er. I didn't want to risk damaging the slide stop pin or anything else from the violent recoil. The 20# worked fine.

She's still dirty. No cleaning. Running better with each mag fired. I'm starting to like this gun.

Back to the range today

Replaced recoil spring with 22# today due to some hitter loads for this trip. 350 PRVI JHP rounds with no gun related issues. Same mag not letting go of final round. Loaded it one shy of full and everything was fine. It's still tossing the cases pretty far even on the light PRVI loads.

Swamp fox ammo ended the session. I learned a valuable lesson today. Never shoot these loads after 350 lighter loads. I shot 31 rounds and I was done. One, because I ran out of ammo and two, I had had enough. The Shredder Grips I put on the Kimber were doing just that..shredding my skin off of my hand.

Another great outing with this gun. She still hasn't been cleaned and I foresee many more rounds before doing so.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Thanks for updating.

What's the total round count now?

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    Thanks for updating.

What's the total round count now?
    1,498 is the count I have.

Just image a dirty girl laying on her side after a good day
    Who needs cheap Tequila when you have images like that?

Nice results!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    after 38 years of mrs surv, I can't remember the "dirty girl" image, but if you give me some time I may recall a good day or two

yeah, after 1498 rounds through a "dirty Kimber", and it still functions properly, I'd say things are working out just right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links