Rossi Ranch Hand - Maximum .45 Colt loads

This is a discussion on Rossi Ranch Hand - Maximum .45 Colt loads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Rossi Ranch Hand can be chambered in .45 Colt. However I can't find any information on the maximum load that can be fired in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rossi Ranch Hand - Maximum .45 Colt loads

The Rossi Ranch Hand can be chambered in .45 Colt. However I can't find any information on the maximum load that can be fired in the pistol.

Will the Rossi Ranch Hand safely handle any commercial .45 Colt, even if it's +P or loaded above "cowboy loads"?

The reason I ask is that I have found loads as low as 250 fpe up to around 700 fpe, for the same size bullet.

I'd like to use loads hotter than the cowboy loads but want to be safe.

I would contact Rossi with your question.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Check their manuals - available on-line, here: Rossi USA - Manuals

The Ranch Hand is a reconfigured 92, and there's no specific prohibition in the 92 manual about avoiding +P ammo. In the manual for the similar Rio Grande, the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo is mentioned by name, so you could load your ammo as least as hot as that.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    If in doubt contact Rossi.

Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I thought about contacting Rossi. But they don't have an email for technical questions and I'm pretty sure that whomever answers and tries to give an answer would just give the "legal" disclaimer. They do say only cartridges marked on the pistol. And even though +P isn't a cartridge, they would probably say not to use it, just to be safe. Also, their manuals do suggest that handloading would void the warranty.

What I'm looking at is something liike the CorBon DPX. 225 Gr., 1200fps/720 ft.lbs energy (and that's out of a 7.5" barrel. More from the Rossi). It's also solid copper, hollow point, which should be a good defensive load. 720 ft. lbs of energy is more than double the cowboy loads. But it is commercially available. It's a bit too expensive to use on everyday practice (about $2 per round). Probably worth handloading, if the pistol could take this, for repeated use. It also might be a good load, if it's safe.

The warning is it's not loaded to SAAMI specs, so I'm sure Rossi would say don't use it, for legal reasons, even though it might be perfectly safe. I have shot many a round, loaded higher than SAAMI specs but am completely unfamilar with this pistol and this round.

Also, since their other Ranch Hands are made to handle .44 magnums, I'm thinking it's probably ok but wanted to check with those who might actually know. ;)

As I suspected... nobody is going to go out on a limb and say what a maximum might be.

Double-tap Ammo:

I just got one answer from double-tap ammo and they said no not shoot their hotter loads through the pistol. I expect the same from everyone who might have some legal concern. Again, that's why I was hoping that someone here might have tested and/or know how hot a load one can shoot through one of the Rossi Ranch Hands. I guess I may just have to make my own tests, if I can't find someone with a more definitive answer, based on their testing.

Rossi:

I just got off the phone with Rossi and they stuck by the "no +P" and "nothing that exceeds SAAMI" for the .45 Colt. As I figured they would say. But that's not always the correct answer... it's just the legally safe answer.

Oh well! It might take a while but I'll find someone whos found a more powerful .45 Colt round that is safe and hotter than a cowboy load.

In the realm of standard-pressure ammo, there are some decent choices available. The Winchester Silvertip throws a 225 gr JHP at 850 ft/sec from a 3" barrel, bound to be 10-20% higher out of your mare's leg. Hornady's LeveRevolution (225 gr @ 960 ft/sec) is hardly a slouch... compare with their cowboy load of 255 gr @ 725 ft/sec. FWIW, I didn't see anything in the Rossi manuals that limited you to just cowboy loads.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

ranch hand 45 colt

Mike:

All 4 models weigh the same 4.9 lbs, have the same msrp, and the mfg'r is using different parts? I would think the frame's are all the same. The difference of course is the chamber and barrel. Since they all weigh the same, would it make any financial sense to use different metal when cutting the chambers and barrels between a 44 mag and 45 colt? I think the new case hardened 45 colt is just the exterior look and I'm sure strengthen's the gun somewhat, but to what degree is guess. Just my 2 cents.
    jwhite75 likes this.

I believe that +P ammo is still within SAAMI specs.

I did a lot of reading on the subject, while researching .38, .38 +P, and .357.

I cannot dig up specific websites because I'm on my phone at the moment.

ETA: Why don't you contact Corbon, if it's their ammo that you want to use?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSD View Post
    The Rossi Ranch Hand can be chambered in .45 Colt. However I can't find any information on the maximum load that can be fired in the pistol.

Will the Rossi Ranch Hand safely handle any commercial .45 Colt, even if it's +P or loaded above "cowboy loads"?
    The reason I ask is that I have found loads as low as 250 fpe up to around 700 fpe, for the same size bullet.
    I'd like to use loads hotter than the cowboy loads but want to be safe.

It's EXACTLY the same as their rifle - Just chopped off at both ends.

It's safe with ANY FACTORY LOAD.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I was just reading a bit in my Speer manual. All of the data shows less than 1100 fps.

There is a separate section for the .45 Colt restricted to Contender and Vaquero pistols. This data has some loads exceeding 1300 fps.

Apparently, the above-mentioned pistols are more stoutly built than others, and can handle pressures greater than 14,000 psi. But all other data, in this particular manual lists 12,000 as minimum and 14,000 as maximum.

Now, most of the data is relegated to pistols. And while the Rossi is technically a pistol; it really isn't. We have to consider the lawyer-factor.

The rifle data in the Speer book defers to the handgun section. Except for 2 loads. The hottest of which is listed at 1,086 fps, from a 16" barrel.

ETA: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The Ranch Hand comes in 44 mag. shooting max SAAMI at what 36000 psi? If the frame & steel is the same for both the 44 mag & 45 colt, I would think the 45 colt may be able to handle the pressures of +P load. Could the company be marketing the gun at std pressures so as not to affect sales of the 44 Mag (some 45 Colt +P ammo can match the 44 Mag)? There's a gentleman on another forum (Henry Mare's Leg) that claims he has fired the Rossi Mare's Leg 45 Colt with two different Corbon +P loads. He said it was a very painful experience, and does not recommend the gun. Here's Dpris' comments:

I used the Rossi with .45 Colt+Ps from CorBon about two weeks ago. That was bad enough.

Off the rest, shooting for accuracy, I had to hold my left hand against the butt end to keep it from coming straight back in my face on each shot. The first one slammed into my left palm hard enough to cause me to pad it with a rolled up glove between palm & steel buttplate for every shot fired from the rest with those two CorBon heavy loads after that. That 30 rounds (three five-shot strings with two different +P loads) was a LONG 30 rounds. Zero interest in trying anything that heavy again

I have seen a few YouTube Video's of the Ranch Hand in 44 Mag and they seem to be controlling it fine with standard "push/pull", but it may be small grain. I am in no way recommending the 45 +P in the Rossi......it's just food for thought.

Henry - Mare's Leg - THR

I have some test data. These were all Standard Pressure Loads (no +P).

MagTech Cowboy loads, 250 grain (L-Flat)

1) 842 fps Ave: 870 fps
    2) 868 fps FPE: 420 ft-lbs
    3) 888 fps ES: 45 fps
    4) 866 fps StD: 1.9
    5) 889 fps

American Eagle, 225 grain, Jacketed Soft Point

1) 1044 fps Ave: 1044
    2) 1062 fps FPE: 545 ft-pounds
    3) 1040 fps ES: 31 fps
    4) 1031 fps StD: 1.1
    5) 1044 fps

Buffalo Bore, 255 grain Keith

1) 1122 fps Ave: 1164
    2) 1177 fps FPE: 767 ft-lbs
    3) 1163 fps ES: 27 fps
    4) 1161 fps StD: 1.0 (so my chrono says)
    5) 1150 fps

Observations:

1) Cases looked fine with all loads.
    2) There was a very noticable power increase on the Buffalo Bore.
    3) The American Eagle is a jacketed bullet. Might help reduce leading and does deliver more punch than a cowboy load.
    4) The Buffalo Bore load is about the equivalent of a .357 magnum in a larger diameter bullet.

Comments?

Here is a photo of the cases. Click image for larger view

Boy, from a forensics point of view, there is a very noticable, repeatable patteren impressed on the primers. Just like a fingerprint. You really notice it close up, when you click the image.

The primers look fine to me; typical markings for factory loads. You should see the marking on the primers on my 250 gr loads for my Super Blackhawk loaded to about 1,300 fps. :)
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I don't think he meant that anything was wrong. I think that he was referring to other than the firing pin indentations, but I could be wrong.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links