Pocket Carry a Sig P238?

Pocket Carry a Sig P238?

This is a discussion on Pocket Carry a Sig P238? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to purchase a .380 pistol which I intend to pocket carry in a holster but needed some advice. I know about the LCP ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pocket Carry a Sig P238?

Question Pocket Carry a Sig P238?

I'm going to purchase a .380 pistol which I intend to pocket carry in a holster but needed some advice. I know about the LCP and the P3AT but I've narrowed my personal choice to either the Sig P238 or the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380. How easy is it to pocket carry the Sig? I know the BG 380 is pretty small and light but I would like input from anyone who has ever pocket carried a Sig P238. Is the P238 too heavy or bulky? Any input is greatly appreciated.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

It will pocket carry fine I would choose it over the S&W Just get a GOOD pocket holster not a cheap nylon one.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

I just ordered my Sig P238 and am interested in answers as well about pocket holsters for it.

The one I handled at the LGS fit fine in my shorts pockets, both front and back, and did not drag them down to bad even with no belt on.

VIP Member
    It can be made to work for pocket carry, but IMO due to the weight, there are much better options out there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    If you're going to pocket carry, I'd suggest the aluminum frame models over the steel be very, very, prone to clean out gunk from the hammer channel as C&L carry allows for a big lint trap.

I've pocket carried mine a few times in the rear pocket...not a big fan of it in general.

It'd fine, size wise. I prefer a Seecamp, but I love my 238.
    I'd recommend finding a pocket holster that covers the safety, and that's not the Desantis Nemesis.
    Keep in mind the Sig 238 is S/A only, ans some don't like pocket carry "cocked and locked"
    although the safety is VERY positive.
    Hopyard likes this.

I pocket carry 99% of the time. I would be hesitant of carrying a single action pistol in my pocket. I would much prefer a double action trigger for my pocket.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

BK
    I pocket carry my P238 sometimes. I carry it in a Blackhawk #3 pocket holster that does cover the safety. It works perfectly fine with the right pants but I think this gun is a bit heavy to be ideal as a pure pocket gun. If I'm just running to the store or something, it's fine in the pocket but I find myself carrying it much more often IWB in a Remora Holster. I have the Remora with the sweat shield option so it completely covers the safety and keeps the beavertail from digging in; it's a very comfortable IWB carry combination that I can conceal it easily in light summer clothing and avoid the big lump of weight in my pocket.

While I can understand that some people don't want to pocket carry this gun because it's a single action, I don't really have those concerns with the P238. The safety is VERY positive and isn't going to come off unintentionally. Besdies, the trigger is not light like a typical single action - it's a short pull but it takes a good amount of effort (in fact, it's noticably harder to pull the trigger than my M&Pc). Combine the very positive safety, the 7-8lb trigger pull and a pocket holster and I think this gun is quite safe in the pocket.

I pocket carry a P238 in a cheapo pocket holster. Even pocket carried it on a 50 mile hike - I didn't even notice it.
    Works well for me.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

My answer is somewhat biased since I do not like pocket carry to begin with. I've tried it several times with my Taurus TCP 738, which is a very small gun. I've tried it in jeans pockets as well as lower pockets of cargo pants/shorts. It moves around a lot, and flaps against my body. Obviously I don't wear form-fitting pants or anything. I have experimented with my wife's SIG P238 and it is somewhat larger and heavier than my Taurus TCP so I would imagine it would be even less desirable for pocket carry.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Owned the P238, loved it. Very reliable. Used a pocket holster made by a local holster maker with the exterior made of a rubber like material to keep the holster in place while drawing-important. I carried the Sig cocked and locked and felt confident in the safety to do so.

Mine just came in..now to find a holster for it.

IMG00066-20110914-1709.jpg

i pocket carry 100% of the time its the only way i carry but only drop in the pocket when my pockets are too low or shirt too low, use the uncle mikes #10 holster for it IWB and you will be amazed how well it works. I carry cocked and locked there is no need to worry about safety if the trigger is covered and gun is locked. Dont let anyone change your mind about carrying cocked and locked in the pocket its completely safe. Here is a picture of my holster
    download.jpg
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Hey Cattus Vir, that Sig you bought sure is a beauty. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their advice. I'm gonna have to look and hold one at my local gun store before I make a final decision. The P238 is a great looking firearm, but we all know looks are not everything. I'm lucky to be a member of this forum. Once again, thanks for all the pros and cons with pocket carrying this Sig. No matter the decision, one thing is certain. My wallet will have less money in it by Sunday!!

Thanks defensive007. That holster covers the safety well. If I do go with the Sig, an Uncle Mike's is definitely a consideration.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links