Compare Kahrs PM to MK

Compare Kahrs PM to MK

This is a discussion on Compare Kahrs PM to MK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently have a PM40 that I'm putting through its paces. I bought it used and put 100 rounds through it and had to send ...

Compare Kahrs PM to MK

I currently have a PM40 that I'm putting through its paces. I bought it used and put 100 rounds through it and had to send it back due to FTB. It happened about 10-15 times out of 100 rounds. Got it back and put 100 rounds of 165 WWB through it. It was 100% and boy was I happy. Then I put 50 rounds of 180 CCI Blazer Brass and had about 10 FTBs. Usually the last two in every mag.

So I'm going to put some WWB and Remington 165s through it to see if it is a real problem or it just doesn't like the taste of CCI Blazer. And I have 100 rounds of 165 Fed Hydrashok on the way and I'll test 50. Hopefully it will be just a diet problem.

If it isn't, I might be considering trading the PM40 in for a MK9 or MK40. I don't find recoil to be a big problem but I like the 9mm's extra round. For those of you that have/carry the MK series, how heavy does the gun actually feel? Is it comfortable to pocket carry the Kahr MKs. It weighs more than most steel Snub nose .38s and they already feel too heavy for pocket carry. Loaded they will weigh about the same as the Glock 26 I had and it really felt like a brick in my pocket.

Although I don't own a MK9, I do carry a PM9 inside pocket which is about 8 oz lighter. That is about as heavy as I can imagine carrying a gun that way. I did check out a MK9 in the store, and found it to be just too heavy for comfortable pocket carry. Given the weight of MK9, it seems to have to much "pendulum" motion. I reckon you would need to keep a good tight belt. Just my 2 cents.

I own an MK9.......let me start by sayin I would rather have a .40 opposed to the 9mm any day but I went with the 9 in this case because it seems like there more issuies with the PM/MK40s opposed to the PM/MK9. That being said Im as happy as Im gonna be with my MK9. I haven had any problems yet, only thing I could see happening with several hundred more rounds or so is peening of the barrel but thats just speculation at this point. As far as the gun goes for pocket carry, its just to heavy. I used to own a G27, now Im not sure of the weight comparision so dont hold me to it but it felt like my little MK9 was heavier!! I carry mine IWB mostly, ill throw it in a jacket once in a while as well. My advise be safe and go with a MK9. It seems like the .40 may jsut be to much power for such a small framed auto.

For me the MK's have always ended up being carried IWB/ holstered, the PM's work for me pocket wise, but agian for me once I move up to 40 cal the PM is just to lite.

I have moved to the T-9 for carry and the PM as a pocket BUG.. THe steel stuff seems to have suffered less birthing problems, and handle better for me..

I pocket carry my MK9 and have no complaints about the weight. I use a Galco horsehide pocket holster which takes up all the excess pocket space so the gun doesn't move at all. The holster has never come out with the gun on the draw either.

It looks like my PM40 just doesn't like CCI Blazer Brass. I put 50 rounds of WWB 165 FMJ through it and it was 100%. I even noticed my wrists weren't locked and my grip was loose a few times. But it kept on working. So well see if it stays this way. It will take a couple hundred more rounds before I can trust it.

The MKs are the same weight as a PPK, which has been a very popular pocket gun for many years. I will use a Mark Garrity pocket holster which should displace the weight throughout the pocket. So the MK series might work. Problem is there isn't one locally to handled and I don't see them near as often as the PM series.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL in my experiance blazers can be an issue , not just with small autos either , once had a mod 36 smith that took a sharp rap on the ejector rod with a rawhide mallet to eject every time i tried blazers , but it worked fine with any brass ammo .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Blazer Brass works like a champ in my Sig 220 but the Kahr hates it. I probably won't ever try the aluminum cases.

I just put 100 rounds of aluminum blazers through my pm9 today, no problems. 100 rounds through our Glock 26 today, no problems. I have a case of the blazers, and will post a message if I see any problems with either gun.

J.S.

Links