Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W... - Page 10

Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

This is a discussion on Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that I can carry whatever I want as a civilian, I settled on the 10mm. Mostly Glock 29....

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Now that I can carry whatever I want as a civilian, I settled on the 10mm. Mostly Glock 29.

I already own the gun that Mr. Pincus advocated as the "ideal personal defense gun" for over a decade. It's the standard issue handgun for all FBI agents. I shoot well with it. It has NEVER failed to fire regardless of ammo type.

I love my Glock 23.
    Old School likes this.

Actually I really don't think an instructor should recommend any certain gun. Its a tool, and the instructor should be there to teach each student how to properly use the tool he/she has, not to add to confusion and frustration by trying to sell some magic solution/ answer. I agree with Clint Smith's opinion on this matter. Understand the weapon YOU have and its limitations and learn to use it accordingly. A good instructor will be able to help you with that.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Actually I really don't think an instructor should recommend any certain gun.
    I see nothing wrong with an instructor providing some basic input to a student who shows up with some cockamamie firearm as their selected go to gun.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tcon67 View Post
    Actually I really don't think an instructor should recommend any certain gun. Its a tool, and the instructor should be there to teach each student how to properly use the tool he/she has, not to add to confusion and frustration by trying to sell some magic solution/ answer. I agree with Clint Smith's opinion on this matter. Understand the weapon YOU have and its limitations and learn to use it accordingly. A good instructor will be able to help you with that.
    There are also some students that do not own a gun and are borrowing / renting for a class and are looking for input as to what to buy.

[QUOTE=Chad Rogers;2040168]I see nothing wrong with an instructor providing some basic input to a student who shows up with some cockamamie firearm as their selected go to gun.[/QUOT

That wasnt my point. To give advise about a better option might be one thing. But dont try to sell someone on one certain caliber or brand of gun over another. We all know that 9mm vs.whatever is an open ended debate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I see nothing wrong with an instructor providing some basic input to a student who shows up with some cockamamie firearm as their selected go to gun.
    I would consider myself irresponsible if I failed to share such input.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=tcon67;2040172]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    I see nothing wrong with an instructor providing some basic input to a student who shows up with some cockamamie firearm as their selected go to gun.[/QUOT

That wasnt my point. To give advise about a better option might be one thing. But dont try to sell someone on one certain caliber or brand of gun over another. We all know that 9mm vs.whatever is an open ended debate.
    Why not? Every suggestion I make is based upon objective research and experience.

[QUOTE=Mike1956;2040178]
    Why not? Every suggestion I make is based upon objective research and experience.
    Well, it really done Pincus alot of good didn't it?

Many of my students are females. If the 9mm is working well and they feel comfortable and are rocking it on the courses, I may introduce a larger gun for them to try. It is THEIR impression, feedback and choice that is important.

I learned along time ago that recoil is very subjective. Given enough time, when someone gets used to a given caliber/platform combo, they may wish to step up. But it is very important to allow that decision to come from the student. Once they have a familiarity with shooting, get used to recoil muzzle blast and so forth, moving them up in caliber is an easy transition.

It is more important to learn the techniques and handling skills than to worry about caliber at that point.
    If someone asks my opinion, I'll give it straight. If they don't, I let them progress naturally.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=tcon67;2040187]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post

Well, it really done Pincus alot of good didn't it?
    He seems to be doing OK with it all.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Many of my students are females. If the 9mm is working well and they feel comfortable and are rocking it on the courses, I may introduce a larger gun for them to try. It is THEIR impression, feedback and choice that is important.

I learned along time ago that recoil is very subjective. Given enough time, when someone gets used to a given caliber/platform combo, they may wish to step up. But it is very important to allow that decision to come from the student. Once they have a familiarity with shooting, get used to recoil muzzle blast and so forth, moving them up in caliber is an easy transition.

It is more important to learn the techniques and handling skills than to worry about caliber at that point.
    If someone asks my opinion, I'll give it straight. If they don't, I let them progress naturally.
    Sure. My 4'10", 100 lb. wife, a relatively-inexperienced shooter, is surprisingly adept with both a .45 Kimber and my 1006 Smith. Even at that, she likes a Kahr PM9 much better. Far be it for me to say anything except "Yes, dear. You are right".

VIP Member
    And she turns her nose up at my preferred EDC

[QUOTE=Mike1956;2040192]

He seems to be doing OK with it all.
    Yeah, thats why he had to write this long correction for endorsing the .40 for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Exactly.Thanks for saying that better than I could, and if they were just not comfortable with it or just didnt want to , Im sure you would just concentrate on getting her as good with a nine as she could be and teaching her how to be as effective with a nine as she could be. Not pressuring her to shoot another caliber or whatever just because thats what you swear by.That was my point.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links