Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

This is a discussion on Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger I have seen a post showing a video of a .357 Sig round going clear through metal and a .40 round ...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Why Rob Pincus now prefers the 9mm over .40 S&W...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I have seen a post showing a video of a .357 Sig round going clear through metal and a .40 round bouncing off of it just bearly making a dent. So, I don't believe your premise about the heavier bullet is correct.
    Probally the same video thats been on the net? Post it. If it's the same the .357 fmj vs the 40sw jhp. Not acurate. The Jhp isn't suppose to penetrate. Post the vid you are talking about. Thats the one= through the broiler??? Compresor?
    30 06 (greek surplus), 40 S&W 180 gr HST, 357 SIG 125 gr GDHP - YouTube

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Post the video.
    30 06 (greek surplus), 40 S&W 180 gr HST, 357 SIG 125 gr GDHP - YouTube
    Dunno if this is the one but the 40 hst isn't suppose to penertate.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    Probally the same video thats been on the net? Post it. If it's the same the .357 fmj vs the 40sw jhp. Not acurate. The Jhp isn't suppose to penetrate. Post the vid you are talking about. Thats the one= through the broiler???
    I saw one where a guy was attacked by an air compressor tank and had no choice but to kill it.... Seriously though...? Talk about the right tool for the job... Unless the hostile is wearing 1/8" plate steel armor, any of the major calibers will work just fine. I've been in the killing fields and have witnessed firsthand what a wide variety of pistol calibers will do to the human body through a variety of barriers. If I know I will be engaging armored assailants, I'll take some 5.56 green tips.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    Whatever the situation calls for. It's not like we see on tv or the movies. Tell the 11 confirmed Ali babas I've put in the ground I screwed up.

Did you not have a rifle, or entry weapon available? Or did you just prefer to shoulder a burst fire weapon in favor of a semi auto pistol for those entrys? Just curious.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I saw one where a guy was attacked by an air compressor tank and had no choice but to kill it.... Seriously though...? Talk about the right tool for the job... Unless the hostile is wearing 1/8" plate steel armor, any of the major calibers will work just fine. I've been in the killing fields and have witnessed firsthand what a wide variety of pistol calibers will do to the human body through a variety of barriers. If I know I will be engaging armored assailants, I'll take some 5.56 green tips.

Yeah I know. I carry .380, 40 and 45 all the time. Just when you make comparisons or give data I like to see it. So I can become educated

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Did you not have a rifle, or entry weapon available? Or did you just prefer to shoulder a burst fire weapon in favor of a semi auto pistol for those entrys? Just curious.
    M4... Never left home without it.... I don't know you, but you sound like you've been there, there's no one SOP that'll prepare you for every situation you run into. The strikes I participated in were urban, door-to-door entries. Some fortified, some not. Some required a breach team, some did not. I typically entered with my M4, and would go room to room on a 2 man high-low with a pistol. It was pretty common for us...

M4... Never left home without it.... I don't know you, but you sound like you've been there, there's no one SOP that'll prepare you for every situation you run into. The strikes I participated in were urban, door-to-door entries. Some fortified, some not. Some required a breach team, some did not. I typically entered with my M4, and would go room to room on a 2 man high-low with a pistol. It was pretty common for us...

Ok, I was just curious. Alot of things changed since my time. Am always curious as to changes that are made. Each generation of fighting men come up with different challenges unique to the enviroment and tempo of operations. Just like to keep up.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I know our entire team ran rifle to pistol drills endlessly...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    A pretty good read HERE

Great read, thanks for sharing.

Didn't purchase my 40 for recoil,capacity,ect, my purchase was to get a firearm that you can get ammo for . So you guys can keep your 9's and leave all the 40 ammo for me.
    smolck likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Ok, I've read and digested his thoughts. If all that is true, then why isnt everyone carrying the Kel Tec PMR 30? You can say they're crap without owning one and never having shot one, and there are plenty of internet bashers, but a have a buddy that has a few thousand rounds through his, and it runs like a top. Just for the sake of arguement, because there is only one pistol in .22 WMR with 30 round magazines, lets assume that it's as reliable as a Glock, which it isn't. But lets say it is, because i don't want to deffend the PMR 30, I want to cosider the wisdom of volleys of shots over fewer more powerful shots. You say these volleys are accurate, and they are for a very few people, but these courses and instructors are for the masses, some of which don't shoot that much, and it really bothers me how accuracy is like an afterthought but isn't something you practice and get good at first. Then again, I'm not sellin' anything.

Double your 9mm capacity, and significantly less recoil for even faster follow up shots? Aren't you now just another .45 guy claiming that a .22WMR isn't powerful enough for SD, and a 9mm is...

Me, I care allot less if they make it or they're DRT. My main concern is not getting shot myself. I just want my first shot to connect in a big way, because it's just a heck of allot harder to return fire effectively with a fresh bullet wound even if its not mortal, and the guy who connects first has a huge advantage from that point going forward. It's no different from landing the first punch in the face in a fist fight. Clearly from some of the superhuman stories about guys soaking up .45 rounds with no effect, caliber doesn't matter, right? It's all about speed and follow up shots. Right? There are no non-lethal bullets.

Ok...open fire!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 40Cal365 View Post
    Didn't purchase my 40 for recoil,capacity,ect, my purchase was to get a firearm that you can get ammo for . So you guys can keep your 9's and leave all the 40 ammo for me.
    I've heard a lot of people saying that. I don't understand why anyone would make a purchase based on a temporary ammo shortage. In a few months, ammo will be more plentiful. I bet we will start seeing a ton of 40s for sale.

More-or-less what I've been teaching for years. When all variables are considered, 9mm is the best SD carry ammo available.

I am really glad yall like your nines, I gonna stick with my .40 and my .45
    smolck and Christopher67 like this.

Regardless, Mr.P did not do his homework on the 9 vs. the .40. That happen all the time to all kinds of people but when you are a "weapons expert" you are not afforded that luxury especially if you are a firearms instructor. You lose your standing as an "expert" with me. Their are no do-overs with weapons. As far as caliber - shoot what you are most proficient with. JMO.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Links